Satellite Finder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weewun

Am getting rid of my MH and buying a 5th wheel to leave on my Site here in Naples, not buying a truck for towing.  In so doing I will lose my MotoSat DirecTV Dish. 

I will be buying a SWIM Dish mounted on a Tripod which DirecTV will install and then will be bolted to my Pad.  The Park requires the Dish be taken down when we leave in April.  I will be storing the Tripod with Dish intact and remounting in exact same position next Season.

Theoretically the adjustments should not be changed but my neighbor has done the exact same thing for the last two seasons
and his Signal Strengths have deteriorated each year.

I would like your opinions as to the best Satellite Finder Meter for me to fine tune the mechanical settings next year.

Your DirecTV receiver already has a signal strength meter built in.

On your remote select:

Menu
Settings & Help
Settings
Satellite
View Signal Strength
Signal Meters

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Your DirecTV receiver already has a signal strength meter built in.

On your remote select:

Menu
Settings & Help
Settings
Satellite
View Signal Strength
Signal Meters

Except.... they cannot usually be viewed easily without taking a TV outside with him while setting up his dish ....

Alfa38User said:
Except.... they cannot usually be viewed easily without taking a TV outside with him while setting up his dish ....

That is why you have a wife and walkie talkies.  :)

I realize that the Signal Strength is available on the TV and I do have a small TV but it is very slow reacting and a pain to run all the cables necessary. 

Am looking for a Meter that can be hooked inline at the Dish and will identify in real time the Satellite and strength so I can tweak the Dish adjustments. 

The only meter that will actually work with Direct SWM will set you back about 500 dollars on Ebay.  Is it worth it to you for once a year?  Might be cheaper to find a local sat company to come out each season and fine tune your dish for you

I actually use an app on my phone to find my point. I use the meter on the receiver by turning up the volume on the set and opening the window nearest the dish location. The app is DP AR Pro. I used the cheapie meter that came with my dish before with terrible results. I have seen the professional meters on eBay and Craigslist for around $300.00, but find my method works for me.

They make some very nice 12 volt portable color TV's and you can get by with an older analog only one, So long as it has a coax fitting.. Then you need some coax (59 is ok) and a 12 volt battery (Jump starter is good).

And you can use the receiver's software.

I know how to set up a TV outside and how to get to the Satellite Strength and I know how cumbersome and slow it is to do so.

I am going to purchase an inline and high quality Satellite Finder and was hoping I would get meaningful input as to Brand and Source.

p.s. My neighbor is going to share the cost of the Satellite Finder.  He has tried the TV thing with little positive results.

Do a web search for Directv sat signal meter.  There are several sellers on places like ebay.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
If you want an inline meter. Here is the one the installer used when he put in my system.

Birdog

Birdog is not SWM compatible.  Sorry :'(

donn said:

From the description on Amazon:

LNB / cable test - Measure for open or short circuit in LNB & cableit is compatible with swm lnbf but you need a swm 2-way dc pass slitter to power lnbf up with 21 volts swm power supply and second leg to connect birdog usb plus.
Dual display for DTV 101/119 - See two satellites at one time, also works with SWM

Am I missing something?

I use a app on my cell phone called Satellite AR which allows you to see the satellite through your smart phones camera so you can tell if you can get reception or if the trees/obstacles are in the way and  then you just fine tune your portable antenna. I use a portable when my auto antenna on the MH is obstructed by trees or obstacles.

donn said:

Hmm, I purchased a used Birdog on Craigslist a couple of years ago for $175 from an installer that was was changing careers. Works fine for me setting up a DirecTV Slimline-5.
Al

I use a Birddog......refurbished from Satellite Oasis for 209.00....takes me less than 5 minutes to set up and get a strong signal.

gwcowgill said:
I use a app on my cell phone called Satellite AR which allows you to see the satellite through your smart phones camera so you can tell if you can get reception or if the trees/obstacles are in the way and  then you just fine tune your portable antenna. I use a portable when my auto antenna on the MH is obstructed by trees or obstacles.

OK so I downloaded the app. But how do I know which Direct satellite to look at? It appears that there are several lined up in the sky.  According to Wiki, it appears that Direct TV-S7 is in the 119 orbital slot.  It that the correct satellite for standard def broadcasting?

I believe that most of the standard definition programming for DirecTV is on the 101.  I use Satellite AR to get a general idea of where the DirecTV satellites are, and if there are trees or any other obstructions for my portable satellite dish.  I then use the satellite strengh meters on the tv to tune in the satellites.

Yeah, I just found a conversation on the Direct TV site that said that 101 would be the sat for standard def channels.  That looks like satellite S-4.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom