Buying used: dealer or private???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

albireo13

We are looking to buy our first TT within the year.  We plan to buy used,.
Does it make sense to buy used at a dealer?  Buying private would be cheapest but a dealer would hopefully check the unit over and not sell a dog.
Is it worth it to go through a dealer?
How risky is it buying private?

Thanks,
Rob

albireo13 said:
We are looking to buy our first TT within the year.  We plan to buy used,.
Does it make sense to buy used at a dealer?  Buying private would be cheapest but a dealer would hopefully check the unit over and not sell a dog.
Is it worth it to go through a dealer?
How risky is it buying private?

Thanks,
Rob

Dont believe for a minute that a dealer wont sell a dog.  I would never pay extra buying from a dealer.

The key to any purchase is to know the condition of the unit you are buying, and what it is worth,  whether from a dealer or  a private party.

Don't for a minute think that buying from a dealer will necessarily cost you more, in fact, it may well cost you less.  Since a dealer is in the business of selling product, they price it to sell, and without any emotion.  However, don't ever let them get the feeling that you've fallen in love with the RV, or they'll play on your emotions.
    Either way, you need to do your own due diligence, inspect the RV to ensure you know exactly what you are buying, and don't take anything that either the owner or salesman tells you as gospel.  Having said that, a gently used RV will save you a lot.

Ed

Where it's your first RV and you know very little about what to look for, I would highly recommend that you hire a local RV certified inspector and have them find the faults.  They'll look at everything such as the roof, the AC, all the vents, the plumbing, electrical, signs of leaks, flooring, slideout mechanisms, windows, doors, siding etc.. It will be well worth the money IMHO. Good luck andet us know what you find.

Having been through several months of RV shopping earlier this year, I never got close to seeing any "good" prices at a dealership.  Trailers like the 2008 bunkhouse model that I bought (from a private seller) cost 50-75% more at dealerships.  You won't really know until you research and shop A LOT (most of which can be done online), getting out there to look at rigs that you could actually afford & see yourself owning.

The best method is to research and learn as much about RV's as possible before you buy (this forum is a great place for that ;)), so you are confident in what you are buying and can avoid the "dogs" regardless of where they are being sold.  But I'll still bet you will find better prices from private sellers.  Craigslist has blown up in most areas now, and is a great way to see what's out there within driving distance.

Do not trust a dealer's word on the condition of any RV.  They make a living selling whatever is on their lot, and will say anything to sell you a unit.  An INDEPENDENT inspection is always a good idea unless you have done your homework and want to spend an entire day doing your own thorough inspection. 

Used is always a better deal than new if you inspect properly. You do not get to select options or colors.  You will not be the first to use the commode or sleep on the bed.  You will pay less.

For where to buy, again do your homework. 
Good on line sources are local RV dealer web sites,
PPL in Texas,  (  http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/gotopage/about-ppl-motorhomes.htm  )    www.RVTrader.com      and          e bay

My first trailer we bought cheap off Craig's list to see if we were going to not strangle each other, we made it through 6 months and sold it for a few $100s over what we paid and hauled it from Iowa to the East coast twice during that time, we found that we liked it so well we upgraded from an 88' 32' to 2008 34'  In both cases we bought for substantial dollars less than any dealer wanted.

I am sorry, but I trust my ability to deal with people much more than I would trust a dealer or his salesman's representations.  What the salesman says is not a warranty or a guarantee, If it is not in the contract it doesn't count.  Even if it is it is still up to you to haul the unit back and make them abide by their paperwork.

I would much sooner save the substantial difference and then deal with anything that comes up myself.

We bought our TT this year used from a private party. We had looked on and off for a year, took our time, researched our towing capacity etc. When our 89 TT hit Craigslist we were one of the first people to call. The owner was straight up with us, took an hour to go over everything when we picked it up, sold us his hitch with weight distribution/anti-sway for $100. Bottom line was we were looking for something that could sleep 8 & 2 dogs, dry weight of less than 5,000 lbs and within our budget.

Whatever you decide, just do your homework and you will know when you see it.

Rene T said:
Where it's your first RV and you know very little about what to look for, I would highly recommend that you hire a local RV certified inspector and have them find the faults.  They'll look at everything such as the roof, the AC, all the vents, the plumbing, electrical, signs of leaks, flooring, slide out mechanisms, windows, doors, siding etc.. It will be well worth the money IMHO. Good luck and let us know what you find.
  8)

Or you could just ask Rene to go with you.  ???
Just kiddin' Rene... but you WOULD know a good one when you see it!

Keith

Don't think every individual is going to be straight up with you either though.  The PO's of our TT certainly weren't.  They hid several issues that we've had to fix.

My experience with individuals is that they usually are ignorant of problems that exist... They probably aren't out to completely defraud you, like many dealerships I have dealt with.  Either way, as 89Layton wrote above... Research a LOT, take your time, do your homework, and you'll catch a lot more problems regardless of how they are being (mis)represented.

And sometimes you can get a great deal from a dealer, depending on the time of year,and where they are located. I just got a great deal on a older coach from a northern dealer. Going to pick it up Friday.

Back
Top Bottom