Map Source Ver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueblood

I've received my Garmin 2610 and loaded the Map Source V6.01 to take a fast look. It has only a few of the streets in my area. If this is latest Version then I won't be able to use for my wife's benefit. I have recieved a number of lengthy e-mails talking about a number of things. Haven't yet read them all. Can anyone tell me if there are updates available for Map Source or is 6.01 it ???

Blueblood,

You're talking razors & Razor Blades.

The lastest Razor Blade (Mapset) is City Navigator North America v6.  That's what you see in the upper left hand corner of MapSource.  If you have v5, Garmin will probably send you an upgrade for free - they did for me I bought the 2610 last spring.

The latest version of the razor (MapSource) is 6.5.  That's what you see when you click on help and then About Mapsource.

see garmin.com and http://gpsinformation.net/ for more.

Bluebood,

Looking at your message again, you may be looking at the basemap and not the detailed map.

Painful as it my be, as an absolute last resort, RTFM (Read the Fine Maunal).

joelmyer said:
Bluebood,

Looking at your message again, you may be looking at the basemap and not the detailed map.

I'm doing that but see no solution. I received v6 and downloaded 6.5 but it doesn't have it. I had expectd that Map Source would because it and Google both use NAVTEQ data and Google works. Apparently Garmin is not using NAVTEQ's latest offerings. 

blueblood said:
I've received my Garmin 2610 and loaded the Map Source V6.01 to take a fast look. It has only a few of the streets in my area. If this is latest Version then I won't be able to use for my wife's benefit. I have recieved a number of lengthy e-mails talking about a number of things. Haven't yet read them all. Can anyone tell me if there are updates available for Map Source or is 6.01 it ???

Go to the Garmin site HERE to check for the latest update.

However it appears you are just looking at the base map.  Hit the menu button twice then click the center button (map info) you should see city nav there and it should be checked.  If this is not there that will confirm you do not have City Nav loaded and are just seeing the base map.

blueblood said:
joelmyer said:
Bluebood,

I'm doing that but see no solution. I received v6 and downloaded 6.5 but it doesn't have it. I had expectd that Map Source would because it and Google both use NAVTEQ data and Google works. Apparently Garmin is not using NAVTEQ's latest offerings. 

[

However it appears you are just looking at the base map.  Hit the menu button twice then click the center button (map info) you should see city nav there and it should be checked.  If this is not there that will confirm you do not have City Nav loaded and are just seeing the base map.

Your ahead of me - I haven't yet loaded the maps to unit. I'm looking at the Map Source info on my desktop computer.

blueblood said:
joelmyer said:
Bluebood,

Oops, pressed "Post" too soon.

Again, MapSouce is just the viewer - the Map Set you should have is City Navigator.  I've noticed lately that the street level detail doesn't show up until you get down pretty close.

I'm assuming that you're looking at the PC - if so, make sure you see "City Navigator North American v6 in the upper right hand corner.  Just to the right of that, set the scale to 1.5 miles and detail to "Highest".  You should see street level detail.

If you're looking at the 2610, look at the lower left corner of the map - you should see the scale and either "Base Map" or "Detail Map".  Zoom in to a scale of less than 3 miles and you should see "Detail Map" and street level detail.  There is a option to set map detail on the 2610 under the menu selection.

This of course after you do what Ron suggested and load the appropriate map detail.

If you like, tell me where you don't see what and I'll go looking there.

blueblood said:
Your ahead of me - I haven't yet loaded the maps to unit. I'm looking at the Map Source info on my desktop computer.

blueblood

Look in the upper left corner of the Mapsource screen; just below the "edit" drop down menu button is a window. North American City Navigator v6 should appear in that window. If not, click the down arrow and check that choice.

blueblood said:
[

However it appears you are just looking at the base map.? Hit the menu button twice then click the center button (map info) you should see city nav there and it should be checked.? If this is not there that will confirm you do not have City Nav loaded and are just seeing the base map.

If you have City Nav zoom in to see more detail.

OK I don't see box that Bernie mentioned but if I drop down View then Switch to Product - it shows City Navigagator NA 6 as selected.
The settings are .3 mi at Highest. The location is at N32 16.710 W80 58.785 This is Colonel Thomas Heyward Road and to the left is a large blank space. It ought to contain streets like Redtail Drive, Doncaster Lane and Stratford Village Way should be a large circular path returning to Colonel Heyward Road with a number of streets coming off - not be just the short stub this shows

Blueblood:

My comment was because all this help is going on about how to insure correct maps are downloaded.? In another thread I am taking some heat because the 2620 has a hard drive with all these maps preloaded lol.

That aside, I have noticed that the detail information is provided only in metro areas on these Garmins.? Perhaps the blank area you are seeing is just outside what they defined as a metro area.? This is one disadvantage compared to the DeLorme maps.? Delorme covers all the side streets regardless of rural or metropolitan areas.? For example my current Maryland home is shown because I am close enough to the Dunkirk Maryland area.? But my Kalispell Montana home is NOT shown because it is just outside the Somers MT area.? But Delorme shows both homes.

Also, as someone else has pointed out in this thread, you will not see the smaller streets until you have zoomed in sufficiently to bring up the detail.? DeLorme shows side streets with less zooming,? That threw me when I first tried the Garmin product.

I do see why Bernie uses the Garmin in conjunction with his laptop programs.? I plan to do the same.

Smoky said:
Blueblood:

That aside, I have noticed that the detail information is provided only in metro areas on these Garmins.  Perhaps the blank area you are seeing is just outside what they defined as a metro area.  This is one disadvantage compared to the DeLorme maps.  Delorme covers all the side streets regardless of rural or metropolitan areas.  For example my current Maryland home is shown because I am close enough to the Dunkirk Maryland area.  But my Kalispell Montana home is NOT shown because it is just outside the Somers MT area.  But Delorme shows both homes.

DeLorme and Garmin have virtually the same "error"  DeLorme has slightly more then Garmin. The real accurate one is Google, who uses Navteq which Garmin uses also, so I can only assume the Garmin is using old data. Google is using 2005 Navteq.

I was not referring to "error".

I was referring to the level of detail that appears for a given scale.

Since laptops have a much larger screen, the DeLorme product allows detail to appear sooner (as you zoom in) than the Garmin.  Because of the tiny 3 inch screen size on the Garmin, you have to zoom into a smaller scale before the side roads appear.

This may not be your problem however,.  I was just commenting on it so you could consider that possibility.  Likely you are correct that the detail on your map is not up to date.  Or that the map provides more detail for metro areas than for rural areas.

I have the older Street Pilot III but it uses the same map sets and I have found few areas where street level detail was not available.  It certainly is not just large metro areas.  The base maps are somewhat limited in detail, but City Navigator is pretty good.

blueblood said:
OK I don't see box that Bernie mentioned but if I drop down View then Switch to Product - it shows City Navigagator NA 6 as selected.
The settings are .3 mi at Highest. The location is at N32 16.710 W80 58.785 This is Colonel Thomas Heyward Road and to the left is a large blank space. It ought to contain streets like Redtail Drive, Doncaster Lane and Stratford Village Way should be a large circular path returning to Colonel Heyward Road with a number of streets coming off - not be just the short stub this shows

Blueblood

The Garmin City Navigator v6 dates back to before June, 2004 at the latest, in most cases maybe a year before that. If the new streets had not yet been platted and built well before that date they would not be shown on the map, hopefully they will appear on the v7 which will probably be out this fall.

Blueblood

The Garmin City Navigator v6 dates back to before June, 2004 at the latest, in most cases maybe a year before that. If the new streets had not yet been platted and built well before that date they would not be shown on the map, hopefully they will appear on the v7 which will probably be out this fall.

I have sent an e-mail to the Garmin crypto people asking why they aren't up to date on Navteq i.e. 2005 Navteq. I would assume that the interface to the Navteq data set would be pretty simple once setup and thus linking a new set of data would litterally take minutes. Since Google is using it - we know it's available, why make folks wait a year or more to get current data. I don't really expect a straight forward answer but thought I'd at least ask ::) 

blueblood said:
The location is at N32 16.710 W80 58.785 This is Colonel Thomas Heyward Road and to the left is a large blank space.

That's what I see.  So it's not operator headspace & timing :)

Have fun with Garmin.

Similar thing happened to me.  My sister lives on Lakeview Circle in a small south GA Town.  Garmin only found Lakeview Drive, 10 miles away!  My other sister used Mapquest and and also wound up on Lakeview Drive.

Back
Top Bottom