Map Source Ver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Smokey

>>This is one disadvantage compared to the DeLorme maps.? Delorme covers all the side streets regardless of rural or metropolitan areas.? <<

You have to have MetroGuide, a separate program loaded to give you rural detail.

Terry
At Moab, UT

Oh good Terry! 

I bought the Metro guide a year ago.  I will get an update for it and download it.  I never thought of it because I was assuming it's name meant it only covered metro areas.

Smoky

It actually puts a separate subset of maps on your 2620...You can also load the Topo maps if you have room.

Terry
At Moab, UT

Personally I find the Metro Guide maps to be far superior to City Nav.  I frequently return to my outdate Metroguide to cover when city nav has no clue.  I have written to Garmin anf=d told them they had done their customers a disservice by making the newer versions of Metroguide non-routable.  Metro guide has always been cheaper to upgrade yet much more usefull and accurate than City Nav. IMHO in comparison with Metroguide, City Nav is an expensive piece of junk but still better than Delorme.

Why is City Nav better than Delorme?  I get much more detail from my 2004 Delorme.  It even has Pegleg road on it.  LOL.

When you use Metro do you download it onto your Garmin?  If so can you use it when Garmin does routing?  Do you leave it turned on with City Nav runnning or do you deactivate it?

I have City Nav, Metroguide, ands some Topo maps loaded.  City Nav runs by default.  When City Nav screws uo I hit menu twice then click on map information and uncheck city nav.  This makes Metroguide come up.  My version of Metro Guide is 4.01 which is somewhat out dated but is still routable and does a better job than city nav in a lot of cases.  Why I even use metroguide a lot when off roading.  In fact more often than I use Topo Maps.

Got this response from Garmin to my question.

I can't say for sure, but I am assuming that Google is receiving updated
NavTeq data once per quarter for their website.  They don't have quite the
conversion work to be done, nor the time spent publishing CD's.  We receive
an updated data set once per year from NavTeq; from which we publish an
updated version of the City Navigator CD.

The version 6 that is being used on your 2610 was released in August of
2004.  We hope to have the next version out sometime early this summer.
This should show the Sun City Hilton Head area that is missing right now.
As an existing customer, you will be notified via email when a new version
is released.  We appreciate your patience and apologize for any
inconvenience this has caused you or your wife.

Thank you for your interest in Garmin GPS.  If you have any further
questions, please don't hesitate to ask.  Please include all previous
correspondence when replying to this message.

Best Regards,
Matt

Nice letter, yes, but what they didn't say is that you'll have to spring $150 for the update. I downloaded V6 some time ago only to learn that it required more $$$ to use it and, according to some Forum members, wasn't worth it. I'll wait for V7 and hope I don't have to first activate V6 to get it to work.

They don't have quite the conversion work to be done, nor the time spent publishing CD's.? We receive
an updated data set once per year from NavTeq; from which we publish an updated version of the City Navigator CD.

Also, I don't buy into the above quote. What conversion do they have to do that Google doesn't, and how difficult is it to burn a CD? Heck, the whole thing is already on the website for downloading and installing ???  (I'm not talking about V7; just V6)

I find my outdated Metroguide ver 4.01 more accurate than the latest Ver 6 City Nav in many cases.  I sure wish Garmin would make the lnewest versions of Metroguide routable.  But if they did that they would probably loose City Nav sales. ;D

Back
Top Bottom