How I Purchased the Perfect RV - I

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill_Scott

How I Purchased The Perfect RV ? Chapter 1

I bought my first RV (a towable) in 1993. The 'why' of it makes a rather amusing story, and has proven to be a great ice-breaker at RV events that I attended through 2000.

You see, for 13 years, I had been traveling around the United States installing large, IBM computer systems that I programmed for a unique group of businesses. In the beginning, I stayed out for three-months at a time. As the business grew, I was home at the most, two-three weeks out of each year. I stayed in motels from North Carolina to California, and the traveling costs skyrocketed.

From 1981 on, I had always purchased Chevrolet, Sierra Suburbans, mainly because the computers and equipment I carried, plus all the books and manuals, wouldn?t fit into the trunk and back seat of a standard-sized automobile. Every 60,000 miles or so (roughly every 2 years), I would call my dealer, order a new one, and give my wife my old one.

In the fall of 1992, while at home, my wife and I were passing my dealer?s lot, and I noticed an attractive, dark red Suburban parked on the lot. Since it was getting close to trade-in time, my wife and I stopped to check it out. I was disappointed to find out it was a GMC 6.2 Liter, diesel vehicle, and having no use for a noisy and smelly diesel, I insisted he show me a gold, gas powered Suburban, and I decided to go ahead and trade.

As the salesman and I were going over the paper work, I noticed my wife was really interested in the gold Suburban I was buying. Realizing that my wife was tired of getting my hand-me-downs, I went outside and asked her, ?You really don?t want my old Suburban do you?? She admitted she didn?t. She wanted a new SUV of her own. To make a long story short, I ended up making the salesman?s day by buying the diesel Suburban for me, and the gold gas-powered Suburban for her. The next day, I headed out to visit a customer for a scheduled, annual upgrade to their computer system at their offices in McAllen, TX.

For several years, I had always stayed at a Holiday Inn in McAllen, TX. That year, the motel had recently changed hands. Every Saturday morning, I would take my soiled clothes to the front desk, have them cleaned and returned to me on hangers.

At the end of the second week of that stay, when I took my dirty clothes to the front desk, the clerk informed me the cleaners did not wash underclothes. I respectfully told her she was mistaken, because I had always had all of my clothes cleaned there for the past 7-8 years that I had stayed at that motel. In fact, I informed her that just the previous week, I had them cleaned through the motel, and she said, ?No, if you send in underclothes, they will just shove them in a plastic bag and hang them on the same hanger with the cleaned clothes.?

For a few seconds I was in shock. ?You mean I am wearing dirty underwear,? I screamed? Obviously, as she was unable to speak, the manager come out of her office and wanted to know what the commotion was all about. We had a heated discussion about me and my dirty underwear, and I stomped my way back to my room. I spent most of that evening fighting guest over the use of the single washer and dryer provided by the motel. I made up my mind that I had to do something about it.

As a stroke of luck, or by divine intervention, I had just acquired a diesel truck, albeit a rather small one. The idea of buying a trailer began to take root. But what kind of trailer would fit my lifestyle?

That night, I joined the RVForum on Compuserve and began doing my research. I met the most wonderful group of people I had ever had the pleasure of working with. They weren?t just there for the fun of it. In a way, they became partners with me on my journey.  It was as if ?we?, not just ?I?, was buying an RV. I had acquired an interested team, determined to guide me in the process of buying a trailer.

Every night over the next week, I asked questions and learned everything I needed to know about RVs. Even then, it was amazing what I was able to learn by asking questions, and reading a plethora of conflicting information on the forum.

I became clear to me that choosing the right RV had more to do with the occupant(s) than anything else. No single person is qualified to assist you in making that decision, because they will try to sell you on their idea of what the RV lifestyle is all about, even if they have never traveled in one. Regardless, nine times out of ten, your lifestyle will be quite different. Sometimes, people will even attempt to validate their decision to buy a certain style or kind by convincing you they made the right decision in buying theirs.

The greatest danger is, ?Are you even RV compatible?? You could spend tens of thousands of dollars before you find out you absolutely hate living in a hallway for the rest of your life; or you may fall head over heels in love with the lifestyle and wished you had sold your house and moved into a $200K Class A luxury unit, instead of a cheap towable and everything in-between. Everyone has their own opinion, but in all that chatter, I was able to put together the perfect package that fit my lifestyle and my pocket book.

What was the maximum weight I could haul, what kind of hitch, what tools and supplies would I need, what type of frame, how many slides, modifications to the vehicle, how would I increase my horsepower, weight distribution, lane changing, how to find a good place to park, what if I had to stay in a park with no services? the list was at least a full page in length; but in my business planning was in my blood. Every one of my questions would need to be answered thoroughly before I actually took the plunge. 

The following Saturday, armed with my list I arose early and went shopping?? (to be continued)

Bill,

I remember your great stories from years past. We ready had a trailer when we joined the forum in 1993, but had decided we wanted a motorhome. The folks on the forum were a great help in educating us to make a good purchase to fit our needs/wants and to negotiate a good price.

Glad to see you back on the forum again.

ken

Thanks, guys. Glad you enjoy the stories. I've got a few left to tell, and it's great to have some readers. I'll try to weave them in when I'm not working.

"The following Saturday, armed with my list I arose early and went shopping?? (to be continued)"  ???

D-mn Bill, Don't leave us hangin' like that  :p

Keith

You guys are too kind. I told my new wife she was going to absolutely love RV people. Now I remember why.  :) We are getting ready for our 3rd annual trip to Branson, to enjoy the Christmas decorations and shows before we get snowed down with Thanksgiving and Christmas commitments. Have to visit my cousin and his family for Thanksgiving, spend a week in Washington, DC two weeks after that, ending with celebrating Christmas with an old friend in San Leon, TX. 

How I Purchased The Perfect RV ? Chapter 2

At some time during my research for my first RV, I came upon the notion that if the world suddenly came to an end, resulting in the mass extinction of all humankind, in a million years or so, a future civilization would come along, and when their archeologist came upon the fossilized remains of an RV park, what conclusion might they draw from the sites?

It seems reasonable to me that they would deduce that that particular segment of historic man, classified as ?Good Samers?, because of identification found throughout their remains, might in fact be a nomadic civilization who relied on machines to ferret them across the North American continent.

It would probably be determined that ancient humanoids huddled in small groups, and their leader(s) were the ones who possessed the most advanced technology; putting Prevosts and Bluebirds at the top of the list, and smaller units such as popups and tents, (whose occupants were forced to prepare their food in burnt holes in the ground) acted as shelters for their slaves. 

Most likely, they would be curious as to why the most technology advanced nomadic leaders carefully saved their waste materials in little boxes no more than a few inches away from their sleeping quarters, and ?what on earth did they do with it?; and how the lower classes, who obviously were deprived of sewage altogether, might have obtained theirs. Once sewage dumps had been discovered, they would then question whether the dump was the source of the waste materials, or a bank of some sort where deposits of sewage could be stored and retrieved for future use.

Why would these remnants of society, in the majority of cases be scattered far and wide, while others were located near the seats of permanent civilizations? Were they outcast? Possibly some horrific disease had forced them to seek shelter elsewhere. Had they been convicted of serious crimes, and was the distance of their exiled locations from metropolitan areas related to the severity of those crimes? I suppose with a more advanced method of carbon dating, they might deduce these settlements were nothing more than refuges for the old and feeble, whiling away the final days of their lives, and the younger ones would be there to clean up the mess they left behind.

In any case, caring, future civilizations might likely construct large monuments at each of these sites, and a holiday would be designated to honor the never-to-be-forgotten Good Samers, and their ancestors. I then resolved to prepare a plaque for my RV, where I would inscribe, ?No matter what you think this might be, that ain?t it.?

As an aside, this reminds me of what some wag (I've forgotten who) on this forum said about buying the best RV.

"Buy your third RV first".

Ahhh, Bill Scott.  ;D    Now I remember why we named "your" rally BS with BS.  ;D ;D ;D

Margi

"On the Road Again. . .  Train up an RVer in the way he should go and when he gets old he will not depart from it. Glad to see you back home Bill! :)

I love chapter 2!!  How true!!  I have often wondered the same thing about other discoveries... like a trash dump.

What happened when you went shopping on Saturday??? 

(I'm new here.  Maybe I shouldn't ask??) ;)

Back
Top Bottom