SOS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NY_Dutch

A good friend and diner owner near our cottage asked me this morning what she could serve as a breakfast special for Veterans Day this Wednesday. First I suggested "SOS", but we finally decided on a "Red, White, & Blue" Belgian waffle with strawberry and blueberry toppings, and whipped cream. It'll be free for vets along with a free beverage, and the proceeds from non-vet sales will go to the local DAV chapter. She does not advertise specials like this other than in her regular specials postings on Facebook, since the breakfast crowd packs the place already. They normally serve around 100 waffles daily, so it'll be interesting to see what the final tally is for Wednesday.

NY_Dutch said:
A good friend and diner owner near our cottage asked me this morning what she could serve as a breakfast special for Veterans Day this Wednesday. First I suggested "SOS",

I remember "S*** On a Shingle" (SOS)  YUK ;D

Rene SOS with and egg and hot sauce. Good stuff. Thanks for you service. 66 to 69 here.

Nobody can screw up SOS! You just add salt or pepper or both and... Ohhhh, wonderful stuff. Give me two servings!

srs713 said:
I like to get my SOS fix at Golden Corral at least once a month. Cream chipped beef on toast! Mmmm.

The SOS at every Fort and Camp I was stationed at was made with hamburger instead of chipped beef. On KP once I had to help with a batch and my job was to ladle off the grease that came to the top......nasty but after being in the field long enough it starts to look good....only the air force had the real stuff.

catblaster said:
The SOS at every Fort and Camp I was stationed at was made with hamburger instead of chipped beef. On KP once I had to help with a batch and my job was to ladle off the grease that came to the top......nasty but after being in the field long enough it starts to look good....only the air force had the real stuff.

That explains it. Dad was Air Force. So were most of the Boy Scout leaders in the troops where we were stationed.

I was on a WWII pig boat diesel submarine and believe me, SOS was to die for. As were all the other meals.

We had Key West lobster (Gooster) every Friday and remember the crew voting to sub Mac and Cheese for the Gooster because we were tired of it. Needless to say, I have never ordered lobster in a restaurant in my life because I've had my fill.

srs713 said:
That explains it. Dad was Air Force. So were most of the Boy Scout leaders in the troops where we were stationed.

Gimme a break guys,  Marines and Sailors were eating SOS (hardtack) 8) 8) 8) aboard Old Ironsides. 
USS Constitution. ;D ;D ;D  Actually longer than that 240 years. ;D ;D ;D

Marines Viet Nam Jan 68-Feb 69

Rene T said:
I remember "S*** On  a Shingle" (SOS)  YUK ;D
In some of the places in Nam I served, SOS was considered "haute cuisine" when compared to the local fare we usually had to eat. There is a limit to how much nuoc nam sauce you can pour on food to cover up the taste!  ;D

US Army Viet Nam Oct 62 - Dec 65

Rene T said:
I remember "S*** On a Shingle" (SOS)  YUK ;D

I also remember them well and they were really wrongly accused.  Every month our men's church group serves a breakfast and the SOS (now called chipped beef on a biscuit) is wiped out before the eggs and bacon are taken.  I love the stuff as do many other old vets (if they dare to admit it).
Bill

catblaster said:
only the air force had the real stuff.

I was in the AF 20 years and SOS was always hamburger! Loved it. Only met the "good stuff" after met and married my Yankee wife.
I like both versions over toast or hot biscuits.

Edit: Fixed quote.

I love good SOS but, the stuff they served at boot camp in Orlando really sucked. Nothing but grease taste in the gravy. One could smell it as soon as you walked in the door.  I'm another bubblehead like Quillback, got spoiled by the chow onboard the boat. I rode boomers so we wre in port half the time and at sea the other half. We couldn't wait to run out of store bought bread to start getting the fresh baked bread and pastries. We ate a lot of ravioli for midrats though, along with Lafayette steak sandwiches ( peanut butter and jelly).

kdbgoat said:
I rode boomers so we wre in port half the time and at sea the other half.

What boats (###) did you ride and what years if you remember? I worked at PNSY and we may have crossed paths. I started in 1967. Had a short break in 1968/69.

My Dad was on the aircraft carrier Ticonderoga in WWII.  He loved SOS and all of us kids did, too, when he returned home.  I think Mom made it with hamburger, though. 

With all this discussion I just made something similar...McCormicks Country Gravy mix and fried some chopped, thin sliced, deli roast beef.

You know I spent four years (55 to 59) in USAF and can not remember the meat..... Dry beef or Hamburg while in service. But, I loved it!

I have it regularly now, dry beef, hamburg, and Sausage (pork) at restaurants in this area of country (Pa.).
When I make it at home I use two meats sometimes. It's really good at home. I do not worry about the grease today, make it so infrequently.
But, when using just DRY BEEF, I use plenty of butter in rue.
At restaurants, I ask for one biscuit and two pieces of TOAST sometimes.
And Toast at home so that I can have more of the meat and RUE, biscuit will fill one up too soon.

SOS  so good! And my Mom made it at home for us kids with dry beef as it was cheaper to make. She would buy "day old" bread, then toast it in an oven...... wow!
Just talking about has me hungry.

Rene T said:
What boats (###) did you ride and what years if you remember? I worked at PNSY and we may have crossed paths. I started in 1967. Had a short break in 1968/69.
80-86. Nathan Hale 623, and Lafayette 616. Never had the privilege of going to PNSY. Home port in Charleston with The Hale, and New London with the Lafayette.  Did refits in Holy Loch on both.

I didn't gain all this weight from refusing SOS in the chow halls. Made right it is a great breakfast.........Even my mother made SOS when I was a child for my ex-army father and I loved it then and still do.  USAF Ret 1959 -!979.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom