Camping in a Truck Camper Off the Truck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry J

Is it possible to "drop" a truck camper and occupy it like a tow-behind.  Are they designed this way?  Easily stolen this way>

Very doable. Just lower the legs down as far as they go for stability. It would be harder for a thief to steal it than a regular camper because it takes time to raise the camper high enough to clear the bed and the thief has to back in perfectly straight which takes practice.

Larry J said:
Is it possible to "drop" a truck camper and occupy it like a tow-behind.  Are they designed this way?  Easily stolen this way>

I did exactly  that for several years when we went pheasant hunting in South Dakota.  Just had to have a separate battery for the camper but all we had were a couple of 12 volt lights and a propane light.  We did not have built on jacks, just two that were used (one on each side) to raise and lower the unit.  It was only 8 foot. Also had a 10 foot model later but we used a small generator with that one.

I've been interested in doing this in established campgrounds but people say many do not allow it because it can be an "attractive nuisance" for kids to climb on, and could possibly be made to topple and result in lawsuits. For boonie camping it seems ideal. And you can buy some kind of locking apparatus that will block anyone from backing into it and loading it up, I think. Then if you have powered jacks and no power to them, another detriment to stealing.

A guy we used to wheel with in Moab many, many years ago did this each year.  He would tow his small utility trailer with his in bed toolbox on as well as a cart/stand that he constructed for his camper to sit on when at home.  Upon arrival at our campground in Moab, he would offload the camper onto the cart, plug it in and use it as normal during the stay.  He would also put the toolbox into the bed of his truck while we were on the trails so he all of his tools spare parts on the trail.  It was kind of a cool setup at the time.

Mike.

As far as commercial parks go, it varies according to the park.  Some parks require the RV to remain on wheels, which rules out taking the camper off of the truck, others don't.

I lived in my 10.5 Open Road for a year on the jacks(4) But that was 80/81 and plugged in and I miss that gas light kept it so warm never had to light furnace. Best of times. Twenty feet from the lake.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom