EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Glenn Campbell  (Read 1897 times)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Glenn Campbell
« on: November 08, 2015, 08:45:40 PM »
Last evening I watched a documentary on Glenn Campbell. What a great, but somewhat depressing, show. When diagnosed with Alzheimer's, he committed to a 15 show tour, which evolved into 150 shows over a couple of years.

He was a wonderful performer.

Watching the video of one of his performances, he couldn't remember the lyrics of the tunes, so he used a teleprompter. When the teleprompter said "Glenn, do a long riff", he proceeded to play the guitar in a way and at a speed that few guitar players could match.

I've subsequently learned that Glenn was committed full time to an Alzheimer's, facility.

Some sicko recently tried to spread the rumor that he'd passed away, but it was subsequently denied by the family.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
Re: Glenn Campbell
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 08:53:00 PM »
yes Tom a saw that documentary. It came out about 6 months ago. It is very sad to see a person with so much energy at one time, to be totally defenseless against this disease.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 08:56:55 PM »
Agreed Rene. We can only hope this doesn't happen to us. He's just 79.

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 09:04:55 PM »
Yep, there's no question that Glenn was one heck of a performer! It's sad to hear about his current circumstances. I think it was Dolly Parton that said if her husband had collected on her life insurance every time the rumor mill reported her dead he could have paid off the national debt by now. I guess it comes with the territory when you're that well known.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 09:07:33 PM »
There are starting to be some research breakthroughs in Alzheimer's research (see this TED talk on Youtube... with any luck (as much as science), its causes may be more known in future decades and can be prevented at earlier stages.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 09:12:34 PM »
Most people think of Glenn Campbell as a very popular country artist with many hits like By The Time I Get to Phoenix and Galveston. But that was his second career. In the early 60s he was an extremely successful session guitarist playing on dozens of hits as a member of the Wrecking Crew. Most notably he recorded for Phil Spector and the Beach Boys. He is the lead guitarist on most all of the Beach Boys biggest hits in the early 60s. There is an excellent documentary about the Wrecking Crew called (imaginatively enough) The Wrecking Crew:

https://www.amazon.com/Wrecking-Crew-Brian-Wilson/dp/B00UMX6WPC/ref=sr_1_1/ref=sr_1_1?_encoding=UTF8&keywords=the%20wrecking%20crew&qid=1447038554&refinements=p_n_theme_browse-bin%3A2650367011&s=movies-tv&sr=1-1
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 03:03:50 AM »
Yep, it's discussed in the Wikipedia article linked in my prior message.

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 08:23:58 AM »
I saw that special, too - very interesting. I have an LP album of Glen with Tennessee Ernie Ford, both singing and Glen on the guitar -- wonderful stuff, among my favorites for just sitting and listening. His guitar work is superb.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

RoyM

• ---
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 01:45:39 PM »
I enjoyed his duets with Bobbi Gentry, not a big fan of his solo stuff though. Hard to believe he is 79.
Ram 2500 diesel
Prowler fifth wheel
Urge to travel

bucks2

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 02:19:23 PM »
We saw one of the shows on his Goodbye Tour at the Showbox in Tuscon a few years back. His kids have a band and did the opening show. During his segment they explained that he would get confused and miss a lyric or two. He also had a fellow in the wings with a flashlight that would flash at him and show him which way to leave the stage as he would get confused where to go. The voice was as good as any old singers voice would be, but the trouble with where he was in the song arose several times during the performance. He was very upfront about the difficulties he was facing and the steps he was taking to enjoy life to the fullest. Having his family, 2 boys and a girl if I remember right, tour with him was his inspiration he said.

Ken

Bob Maxwell

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smile, and the world smiles with you . . .
    • The American Southwest
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 07:21:16 PM »
HIs first albumn was all instrumental. . .and I believe it's still in my collection. Betty and her late husband Bill used to hear him in a local CW bar in the early 50's in Abq. . .
Adiós. . .

Bob †
and wife Betty Font 

. . . still ridin' for the brand.

1994 Suncruiser 34RQ, Cummins 5.9L/230 Allison 3060
'08 Kia Spectra5,
FMCA SKP

Holbrook AZ, west of the Petrified Forrest NP on I-40

Punomatic

• ---
    • Life in Black and Blue
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 10:43:46 PM »
I was privileged to see Glenn perform when he was in his prime.  He could sure play a guitar!  Sorry that he is suffering with Alzheimer's...a dreadful disease.  I'm glad I can remember him "when."
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
DW and me and Pogo (the neurotic terrier-gone to the rainbow bridge) and Lulu (the Moxie with moxie)

Hosted by Over The Network