Maine to Richmond, VA, but not on I95

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elliott-maine

Can anyone suggest a route that meets these requirements?  Willing to be on 95 for a ways just north of Richmond.

Once you get to Delaware,  you can go South one Rt1. Get on Rt 113 in Milford De. Take 113 across state line into Maryland.  When you get to the end of 113 in Pocomoke,  take Rt 13 across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. Head West to Richmond from there.

I'm guessing you want to avoid I-95 in Connecticut and south.

I would take I-95 south to I-495 in Massachusetts, to I-90 west (via I-290 through Worcester if it's not rush hour). From here you have two options:

Option 1: continue on I-90 west into New York, then I-88 west to I-81 south.

Option 2: take I-84 west through Connecticut, New York and Pennsylvania to I-81 south. It's shorter than option 1, but there is currently construction on I-84 in Waterbury, CT and Milford, PA. I took this route in August and timed it so I would hit the work zones in the middle of the weekday, had no problems.

From I-81 south, I-64 east into Richmond. There is construction on I-81 south of Scranton, so you'll want to avoid it during rush hour.

We always, took the 495, 290, 90, 84 to 81, but a few months ago someone posted a slightly different route to avoid the bottleneck of going through downtown Hartford.  I've never tried it, but it looks good on the maps.  so once on I 84, just before you hit Hartford, take I 91, to I 691, and that drops you back onto I 84 just east of Waterbury.
    I'm heading south via a visit to our kids/grandkids in Ottawa, so I won't be trying it, but i would appreciate your comments if you try it.

Ed

I drive 91 to 691 to 84 all the time. Distance is about the same, road is straighter and fewer lane changes. I just never think about it when giving directions.

Thanks, I've always hated that section through Hartford, with lots of traffic, swinging left and right to keep up with I84, and a bunch of tight turns.  That route looks promising, and about the same distance.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
    We always, took the 495, 290, 90, 84 to 81, but a few months ago someone posted a slightly different route to avoid the bottleneck of going through downtown Hartford.  I've never tried it, but it looks good on the maps.  so once on I 84, just before you hit Hartford, take I 91, to I 691, and that drops you back onto I 84 just east of Waterbury.

Ed,
We are leaving 2 weeks from today and I will try that route and I'll let you know. Last year we hit Hartford about 6 AM. I was hoping the traffic wouldn't be bad being that early. WRONG. It was bumper to bumper, stop and go the entire time until we got through Hartford.

Thanks Rene, we leave in 3 weeks, but are heading via Ottawa.  Really no need to hurry, it is 60 and sunny here today.  See you in Florida.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Thanks Rene, we leave in 3 weeks, but are heading via Ottawa.  Really no need to hurry, it is 60 and sunny here today.  See you in Florida.

Ed

Yup!! Drive careful.  ;) :)

Look at I81 to Harrisburg PA, I83 to CampHill 15 south to I66 to 234 Prince William Parkwy to I95 to Richmond. All good roads.

Jim

Tin man said:
Look at I81 to Harrisburg PA, I83 to CampHill 15 south to I66 to 234 Prince William Parkwy to I95 to Richmond. All good roads.

Jim

Jim, I couldn't find I66. Eventually, where does your route put you back on I95? North of DC or South of DC.  Where is the advantage. It seems like continuing down I81, (which is clear sailing) then pick up I64 in Staunton VA which will take you to Richmond.

Rene T said:
Ed,
We are leaving 2 weeks from today and I will try that route and I'll let you know. Last year we hit Hartford about 6 AM. I was hoping the traffic wouldn't be bad being that early. WRONG. It was bumper to bumper, stop and go the entire time until we got through Hartford.

One caution about getting from I-84 west to I-91 south. It's a left exit off I-84, over the Charter Oak Bridge and a right exit to I-91 south, and you're dumped into the left lane (of three) on I-91 south. Keep your speed down and leave plenty of space in front of you. The idiots will cross three lanes of traffic and stop dead in front of you. I almost nailed a car there once, and a friend jackknifed his 5th wheel when a car cut him off.

Don't be in too much of a hurry to get out of the left lane once you're on I-91. The road straightens out and traffic calms down after about a 3/4 mile, it will be much easier to move over. It's not really as scary as it sounds, and it's smooth sailing from there.

Route 15 will join I66 at Haymarket. Go east on I66 to Manassas Exit 44,  take Prince William Pkwy  route 234 to I95 you will be south of DC at Dumpries. About 45 min from Richmond.

Prince William changes name to Dumpries Rd.

To locate I66;  I believe it's exit 300 off I81 to I66. 

15 takes you past Gettysburg PA.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom