Pueblo Colorado

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tina1975

My Husband has had Pueblo put on the table for his next nursing assignment. We would be there from January till mid April. I need to know if someone has a recommendation for a RV park there. I looked at Lake Pueblo Park and I like it. The only problem is can you get back into a state park after hours? If he gets called out and isn't done until two AM would he be stuck? I really would like some info on areas in town. Lake Pueblo is as far out as we can be due to his call obligations. If there is an emergency he has 20to 30 mins to get to the hospital.

At Lake Pueblo, there is a 14 day limit. At the sites that are open in the winter, there is electricity only. You will probably have to use a commercial park. Check the reviews carefully. Pueblo is somewhat rough with an above average crime rate.

halfwright said:
At Lake Pueblo, there is a 14 day limit. At the sites that are open in the winter, there is electricity only. You will probably have to use a commercial park. Check the reviews carefully. Pueblo is somewhat rough with an above average crime rate.

Thank you! What do you mean somewhat rough?

Tina1975 said:
Thank you! What do you mean somewhat rough?

The reason I ask that is I currently live in Norfolk, VA. It's ROUGH here in places. I have spent many hours in Memphis and Little Rock. I live permanently in Arkansas about 60 mileSfrom Memphis. My idea of rough may be different.

Most state parks that are gated will give you a combination to get in and out late at night.  I suggest you call and ask the park directly.

A few state parks will also let you stay longer than 14 days if it is not busy, but that is another question you need to ask directly.

Average temperatures in Pueblo are well below freezing in winter, so you will go through a lot of propane keeping warm and will have problems keeping pipes from freezing. A commercial campground might let you put something around the bottom of your RV, where I don't think they will allow that at a state park.

Check for average temperatures:  http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/pueblo/colorado/united-states/usco0323

Yes, you can get into/out of Lake Pueblo State Park after hours (at either end) - I was there about a month ago.  However; as noted, two weeks is the limit.  They had also shut down huge sections of the campgrounds and spots were quite limited and taken by reservations.  I did not have a reservation and could only stay for three nights mid-week. No spots available even though there were hundreds (??, dozens at least) of them sitting empty (and the water and electric was turned on to these sites, I checked).

I also stayed at Hagards RV Park which is several miles further west (out of your limits) on Highway 50 and thought it was "good" (not resort like but very nice owners, good wifi, and away from the hustle-bustle-roughness - though there is some noise from the highway).

JFNM said:
Yes, you can get into/out of Lake Pueblo State Park after hours (at either end) - I was there about a month ago.  However; as noted, two weeks is the limit.  They had also shut down huge sections of the campgrounds and spots were quite limited and taken by reservations.  I did not have a reservation and could only stay for three nights mid-week. No spots available even though there were hundreds (??, dozens at least) of them sitting empty (and the water and electric was turned on to these sites, I checked).

I still ?m not quite clear as to what level the "roughness" is in Pueblo.

I also stayed at Hagards RV Park which is several miles further west (out of your limits) on Highway 50 and thought it was "good" (not resort like but very nice owners, good wifi, and away from the hustle-bustle-roughness - though there is some noise from the highway).

Tina,

What I mean by rough is probably not your definition. There is a lot of sub-standard housing, gang activity, unemployment and generally trashy.  It has been that way since Colorado Fuel and Iron shut down years ago.
There are some very nice spots in town where the city government has made efforts to  beautify. like the river walk.  It is not one of my favorite Colorado towns.

From Wkipedia

The crime rate in Pueblo is higher than the national average. In 2005, Pueblo reported 13 murders, 22 rapes, 162 robberies, 489 assaults, 1,525 burglaries, 4,978 larceny thefts, and 478 auto thefts. In 2011, Pueblo reported 12 murders, 40 rapes, 173 robberies, 606 assaults, 1,590 burglaries, 3,434 larceny thefts, and 470 auto thefts.

from The Denver Post

Pueblo, while finishing worst in Colorado, ranked No. 112 of 400 cities for crime nationwide. It was followed by Denver at 141, Aurora 171, Colorado Springs 175, Lakewood 190, Greeley 247, Fort Collins 260, Thornton 263, Westminster 294, Boulder 296, Longmont 328, Arvada 336 and Centennial 378.
(standing in crime statistics)

Pueblo may be a wonderful place and, if so, I apologize to those that live there.  About the best you can do Tina is go in with an open mind and see how the town strikes you.  It is certainly NOT a worn torn outpost on the edge of the frontier.  I pretty much follow my instinct and if a place doesn't feel right/comfortable, I move on.  I felt perfectly safe at the Lake Pueblo State Park.

Thanks guys!!! Looks like the eastern part is where we don't want to be. I saw a KOA and a Forts RV park that both had good reviews, south of Pueblo. After having lived in the Tidewater of Virginia since July...still sounds better than some of the areas here.

JFNM, there is no way we could do this if we didn't have an open mind. Our situation is different in that once he signs his contract, we are there for at least 13 weeks. looked at the Park you suggested but they closed for the season.

We also were presented with an assignment in Salem, Virginia and Abilene, Tx. He will chose a few that we are interested in and go from there. So, we aren't locked in yet but this will happen quick once he gives the okay to submit his info for that contract . You have to move quick if you like the area and or pay package. You may not always want to live in an area but 13 weeks is doable because the pay is high.

Pueblo South/ Colorado city KOA is a very nice campground. They have many pull thru, propane, small dog park, nice store and awesome staff. There are a couple of cafes down the street awesome BBQ. Easy from Hwy but far enough for privacy. 

I agree, 13 weeks will go mighty quick - even if you don't like the area.

Be sure to drive highway 50 west out to Salida and Gunnison (and Royal Gorge, of course).  The sights are amazing!!  Lots of good camping, fishing, hiking, mountain biking, sightseeing, etc.

Rodney Davidson said:
Pueblo South/ Colorado city KOA is a very nice campground. They have many pull thru, propane, small dog park, nice store and awesome staff. There are a couple of cafes down the street awesome BBQ. Easy from Hwy but far enough for privacy. 

Thanks! I just sent them an inquiry. They have some pretty stellar reviews on Trip Advisor too. It might be cutting close to that window of 20 to 30 mins for him to get to the Hospital if he gets called back. However, we can make accommodations if needed. It sounds like it might be worth it.

JFNM said:
I agree, 13 weeks will go mighty quick - even if you don't like the area.

Be sure to drive highway 50 west out to Salida and Gunnison (and Royal Gorge, of course).  The sights are amazing!!  Lots of good camping, fishing, hiking, mountain biking, sightseeing, etc.

With the recommendation of the KOA and the now the sight seeing, it sounds like a good place, especially if we don't stay right in Pueblo. I am a country girl and need a break from the big cities anyway, lol.

So, now he has been submitted for Pueblo. This part of our travel gets hectic because as he is being sent job prospects, I am  researching the places he is looking at.

So, now Sioux City Iowa was put on the table today. This assignment would be worth braving whatever the situation would be there. Even doing another 13 weeks in a sticks and bricks!!  But Pueblo is very good too! God will steer us in the right direction. He always has. We are in this for the money and travel opportunities. However, I always feel like God puts Mark at whatever hospital he is needed at most.

Insure wouldn't plan on living in your trailer in Sioux City in winter! Even a full 4 season set up would have a problem at those temps.

My daughter is camping in that area now, and I insisted she download "Crime and Place" app (iphone)  Last night her dinner stop en route turned out to be in a bad area, so she kept moving.  Whew as a mom I'm ever so grateful.  Also insist she uses "GLympse". 

Crime and Place app will let you look ahead, plan on a map, or show you a compass of what the crime stats are in that area. 

Glympse is something you can send to anyone to show your location, speed, etc.  Great for parents.  My kids love to camp and I appreciate knowing if they made it to the national park or not.  Mine are in Zion Utah this week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom