Researching full-time RV lifestyle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bparis11

I'm am planning on retiring in 2-3 years. After some scary health issues, I've decided to RV full-time. Right now, I own a '98 Corolla that's about to turn over to 100K miles. I know I'm going to need a vehicle within the next year. My plan is to purchase an SUV that can haul a 13' Casita or something similar. I'm looking for recommendations from seasoned RV'ers... Please let me know what you think.

I would never ever even consider full timing in a 13 foot trailer. You need at least a 25 foot class A. A 13 foot trailer has less than 100 square feet, about the size of a normal bathroom. That would get old real fast. Nice for a few weekend camping trips per year but totally inadaquet for full timing.

If it's just you, it's probably doable.  If it's you and a significant other, and you both need your own space, that could be a problem.  Also, if you have any pets, that will be a limiting factor.  That said, if I had health issues and all I wanted to do was see the country, I'd make do with whatever I could afford.  While a smaller casita would be easier to tow with a compact SUV, there are some decent sized trailers that can be pulled with larger SUVs. 

Hi there,
I agree with Garyb1, maybe once you start answering those questions the solution might be clearer. Maybe check out some Casita, Bigfoot, Oliver forums, see if any there have taken on such an adventure.
Good luck and good health

Howdy and welcome bparis11!  I see all sorts of full-timing setups out here in the southwest so I know anything is possible.  It's all about what you are comfortable with.  I'd suggest first visiting some RV dealerships (new or used) and setting foot in many different sizes of trailer. When I was looking, I most enjoyed the big RV "show" type events where a dealer is not constantly following you around.  Sit in them a while and imagine all your stuff and being stuck in it for a 2-3 day stretch (cold/rainy weather days).  Once you get an idea of what you "need", then start looking for a vehicle that is sufficient to tow it (weight).

RVSue and her Canine Crew is a blog by a lady who full-times in a Casita.  However, she is single and pulls it with a full-size van that she uses to store extra clothing and all the stuff she cannot put in the Casita.  She even stores food and water in her van.  Her blog is at http://rvsueandcrew.net/

You might want to go back to the beginnings of her blog to follow the reasoning she used for her choices of trailer and tow vehicle.

Going to a bigger RV gives you more than just inside size and more storage; a bigger vehicle had larger fresh water and grey and black water tanks, meaning you have to fill and dump them much less often.  That can be a big consideration.  Larger also means a bed that you do not have to make up every night--a real pain when you are tired.  It also means a real shower where you do not get the whole bathroom wet when you shower. 

As you are looking at shows, try out the bed and the shower, and also consider where you will sit and relax when you have three rainy days in a row!!

If you are concerned about driving a bigger vehicle, it really is not a problem.  We all get used to after a few trips.  (I am a short, 72 year-old woman driving a 32' Class C and full-timing in it very comfortably.) 

Back
Top Bottom