Insurance for private rental of a motor home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simonpf

Hi,

We are considering rental of a private RV (2006 National Dolphin class A 35" unit) in Houston Texas but we have to arrange our own insurance cover.

Any advice on how to approach that in the easiest way and what cover we should ensure we have would be greatly appreciated.

We are Australian citizens with exceptional driving records in Australia. Aged 42 and 40 with no accidents in over 15 years.

Our rental would be for the period of 6 February 2016 to 24 February 2016 (19 days in total) traveling from Houston Tx across to Miami, up as far as North Carolina then head back east to eventually land back in Houston Tx.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Paul and Pamela Simon

While Tom and Rene are having fun, I'll take a shot at an answer.  My background includes insurance and risk management but I'm retired for 10 years and not up to date on what's new.  First thing you need to do is contact your insurer in Australia.  While they likely don't underwrite in the US., they might have an affiliate company that would be willing to insure you in the US given the fact that the Australian domestic insurer currently underwrites your insurance.  If they do not, then you might want to check some of the major US insurers.  I'd contact several of the large US insurers and ask if they'd be willing to write your insurance for the short period.  Cost will likely be quite high since  there are basic costs that an insurer needs to recover via the premium.  When those costs are amortized over a normal 6 or 12 month period, it's not so significant.  If that fails, I would ask the rental company again and tell them you are only able to rent the vehicle if they supply the insurance.  If they say they can not do it, contact another rental company.  My guess is somebody does this on a regular basis.  Good luck. 

Gary offered some good suggestions. Meanwhile, click the Resources button above and scroll down the menu to RV Insurance.

www.mbainsurance.net says they offer renters insurance.

[quote author=simonpf]I know what I meant...[/quote]

That's the important thing  ;)

One request ... if you're successful in finding & buying the insurance you need, please come back and tell us what/where/price, so we can help others in the future. Thanks.

Ok thank and I will do so. I'm making enquiries through THUM insurance at the moment. I will let you know how that goes.

Back
Top Bottom