Need advice on Air travel while on the road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The plunge

Hi All,

I've been playing out scenarios in my mind on what to do with your home (RV) when fulltiming and the need arises to fly somewhere, what have some of you done? Things that work, things that don't?

Thanks,
Gary

Many of the campgrounds have storage areas. I would check there first.  Chance's are you wouldn't have power though.  In that case, how about those self storage facilities. You may be able to rent a spot with power.

A couple of years ago we were on a monthly site and took a two week cruise.  We left the coach plugged in with food in the frig and left for our cruise.  It was more convenient and less costly than moving to a storage area for the period.

Thanks for all of the input and ideas. Just one more thing to keep on my mental list as the clock ticks down to when we pull the plug on the work life and the house and venture off.

A couple of times we've been staying at a campground and needed to fly somewhere so we just left the motorhome plugged in and took off.  As long as you're in a somewhat secure area it shouldn't be a problem.  If keeping the fridge cold isn't a necessity, most campgrounds have a storage area.  When we took a ferry from Newfoundland to Labrador they had a secure area where we left the RV.  The high fence was locked at night.  Another was when we went to Mackinaw Island.  If you want to go on a cruise ask the cruise line if they have such a storage facility because some do.

ArdraF

If you are only going to be gone for 4-5 days or as long as your batteries will run your refrigerator, you can use the regular airport parking lots.  I was going nuts a couple of years ago about what to do with my motorhome while I flew to visit grandkids for five days.  The hotel parking lots and offsite parking lots are not always very secure.  I finally called the airport and talked to their parking people.

I have left my motorhome at Tampa Airport twice for five days each.  They have a fantastic outside economy lot where you can park big vehicles. In fact, the signs driving into the airport will direct you to the "Oversize Vehicle" economy lot. It is paved and well-lit, has tons of space even in busy times, and the parking building shuttles drive past your vehicle all day and night, so it is very secure!!  And they only charge you $9 a day, just what they charge cars.

I also left my motorhome at the Las Vegas Airport for five days, although I think I was in the wrong RV lot--they have two and one is bigger, but I was in the small one.  People pulling trailers had parked wrong, so I had to park wrong also.  Anyway, we all managed to get out and my vehicle was safe when I got back.

In April 2016, I am going to leave my motorhome at the Salt lake City Airport.  Called them and they assured me that had plenty of spaces for big vehicles right in the regular economy outdoor lot. 

Anyway, all three times I left my motorhome at an airport, refrigerator was fine and battery still had some charge left to run refrigerator when I got back. 

Hi Judy and everyone else,

Thanks for the input. I would not have guessed some airports would or could accommodate, makes sense.

Happy and safe travels,
Gary

Oh, and all three times I left my motorhome at airports, it was December 26 - 31.  Still had not problem finding a spot even though it is 32' long and I took up several spots.

What was funny about Tampa was that when I came back, shuttle drivers asked where I was parked, assuming it was in the building. When I told them it was a motorhome outside, they said "Nice rig!"  In Tampa, the oversized vehicle lot is right next to the runway, as well.  I talked to someone who left an RV in Orlando Airport, as well, and were happy.  Also, Detroit has similar parking in I think their Green lot, although I have not parked there.

I really think official gated and patrolled airport parking is a lot safer than outside lots which tend to be in bad areas and not well-patrolled.  Also, I did make sure everything electrical but the refrigerator was turned off to reduce the battery load.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom