Passport America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1PlasticMan1

I would like opinions on subject service.  I already belong to Good Sam and FMCA, which I was able to get some 10% discounts (Good Sam) this fall while traveling New England.  I enjoy reading both magazines that they provide.  I also have a Senior Pass, AARP and AAA. The cost of Passport America is minimal, but don't know if it would be worth the expense.  Reading their literature - "50% off Campsites!", seems too good to be true (and we all know the rest of that statement), especially in the body of the ad it states "BIG SAVINGS on a Freedom Resorts VIP 25% Discount Camping Card and More!"
Thanks for your thoughts.

They are legit. I bought a pass a few years ago before driving across county. It took me four nights for the pass to pay for itself. Many of the RV parks have restrictions, like you can only get the discount for one or two nights, or it is only good certain days of the week. I was very impressed with every park I stayed at. All very nice places. I also have the Senior Pass and AARP but PA beat them all.

From what I understand,  Passport America only gives 50% off on the first night. Even with only covering the first night,  it would quickly pay for itself. I'm not sure what other discounts are available with PA.

We are Passport America members and find it most helpful when traveling because the discount in most parks is limited to one or two days.  There are other restrictions that you have to deal with--no weekends or holidays.  But, it will pay for itself in two or three uses. There are a large number of parks that accept it, so trip planning to use them is easy.

Bottom line--Travel during the week and plan your trip. It does cut costs a  lot, 

kdbgoat said:
From what I understand,  Passport America only gives 50% off on the first night. Even with only covering the first night,  it would quickly pay for itself. I'm not sure what other discounts are available with PA.

Not true, it's up to the individual campground how the discount is made available.  Some will allow multiple day stays at the 50% rate, some even have no limits.  But it's intended for the traveler, not for long term stays.

Thanks for the info Ned. I haven't really got into the full benefits of PA as I don't do a lot of rv traveling yet.

The Passport America (PA) website should have all their current partner locations mentioned in their online database (at least they used to)... so, before you join take a look at their campground listing for areas where you plan to camp, and see if you think you would use the membership.

When we were new RV'ers and drove from IL to upstate NY to buy our motorhome (and then drive it home over several days, camping all along the way), we joined PA and stayed only in 3 of their parks.  50% off every night, except one place where we decided to stay a 2nd night and paid full price.  But that was no big deal.  (Actually one night was free, because we were parked on the side of the road after the motorhome broke down... but that's a story posted elsewhere on the forum, and the experience was an educational one! :))

We have been life members of both PA and Good Sam for years. I estimate that we have saved  a few thousand dollars by using PA discounts. We travel every month of every year for both business and pleasure. We plan our trips to take advantage of both PA and Good Sam discounts. In a typical year we normally stay at least in a dozen or more PA Parks, some years as many as fifteen or twenty. For example, just the first week of November, this year, we stayed one night a PA Park in Nebraska, two nights in Iowa, and two nights in Indiana. Those discounts saved us slightly over $78 for those 5 nights.

As mentioned above, each RV Park makes their own rules. PA has well over a thousand participating parks so we always check the actual Park listing to be sure of any restrictions or requirements before leaving home when planning our trips.

Hi, welcome to the forum! I had Passport America send you an email. It should contain the code.

Happy camping!

Vicki

I joined last year and spent 5 weeks traveling from Minnesota to NC and back.  I found only one campground accepted Passport, but all gave an AARP discount.  Decide not to renew this year.

I was making reservations, for Lake George NY, in September for balloon festival. They said they only did passport America. Joined saved $129. Two year membership paid for plus three months extra for new member. Win Win for me.

We were checking into a campground in Williams, AZ and the person checking us in asked if we had PA.  I told her we didn't and she told me to go to the campsite and join, and come back and she would adjust my fees.  Saved the cost of membership in less than 3 nights.  Staid for 5 days at 50%.

Another group we belong to is Escapees.  Nice campgrounds, very reasonable prices at the Escapees campgrounds and often deals at their co-op campgrounds, and very nice people.  Some of the co-ops offer first time stayers (full hookups) a week at $50 plus electricity to welcome new folks.

We have been Life Members of Passport America since passport offered life membership. We travel for both business and pleasure very month of the year. Yes, it is legitimate and we have saved a few thousand dollars since we became members.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom