1989 5-er Prowler Lynx water heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prairiegirl

I have a trailer(1989 5-er Prowler Lynx).  I got it from my brother-in-law. He didn't drain the water heater right when he put it up for winter last year and water heater tank split.  It looks like an Atwood G6R6.  I have looked them up on ebay and they go for under $300. Are all of the 6 gallon water heaters about the same and work in any year?  I have more than enough to do to keep me going until next spring so I have a long time to look for water-heater. It's at the bottom of my to do list, of course, the list seems endless right now.  I would like to plug it in and see if the furnace, stove and the refrig work. I am re-doing lights with leds and checking for leaks.  Since it's going to rain for next three days the last one should be easy.
I don't have a truck to pull it yet so I'm doing research on trucks.  This isn't a high budget plan.  So the truck is going to be an older one.  With the '89 Prowler I'm thinking that both the truck and trailer as a pre-vintage project. ;)

Thanks

prairiegirl said:
I have a trailer(1989 5-er Prowler Lynx).  I got it from my brother-in-law. He didn't drain the water heater right when he put it up for winter last year and water heater tank split.  It looks like an Atwood G6R6.  I have looked them up on ebay and they go for under $300. Are all of the 6 gallon water heaters about the same and work in any year?  I have more than enough to do to keep me going until next spring so I have a long time to look for water-heater. It's at the bottom of my to do list, of course, the list seems endless right now.  I would like to plug it in and see if the furnace, stove and the refrig work. I am re-doing lights with leds and checking for leaks.  Since it's going to rain for next three days the last one should be easy.
I don't have a truck to pull it yet so I'm doing research on trucks.  This isn't a high budget plan.  So the truck is going to be an older one.  With the '89 Prowler I'm thinking that both the truck and trailer as a pre-vintage project. ;)

Thanks

I would remove it and take it to a welder and see if it can be repaired. Might only cost you $50.00 or so.

Someone who can handle Aluminum since that's what the tank is made from.  If that doesn't  work look for another 6 gallon ,Atwood heater.  Suburban water heaters operate the same but fit in a smaller wall opening.

As far as which model to get, do you want a water heater that automatically lights when you turn on a switch, one that also operates on electricity or just a basic gas model?  Either of these options will require some electrical wiring if they aren't included in the old heater.

You can also get replacement tanks for Atwood heaters.

But to answer your question, yes tanks of a given size, e.g. 6 gallons, are about the same and intended to fit in the same size hole and hook up to the same plumbing. There will be small differences, especially since it is 2015 vs 1989, but probably nothing major.

I was thinking of a manual lighting model.  I'm pretty sure that is what is in there.  I don't think the one that is there was burning right.  There is a lot of carbon around the vent and it even marks the side of the trailer.  This is one on ebay right now(I am not buying one till after Christmas.) G6A-7-RV-6-GALLON-ATWOOD-WATER-HEATER-LP-GAS-MANUAL.--$200. I can deal with plumbing, gas, and even running 12 volt circuit.  But what I want is simple and cheap.

Yours is probably the same as on our 1990. If burning black the burner nozzle likely needs to be serviced. If replacing with a used heater make sure it is installed and operating properly. A propane leak or carbon monoxide will really ruin your day.

prairiegirl said:
I don't think the one that is there was burning right.  There is a lot of carbon around the vent and it even marks the side of the trailer. 

There is a good chance that your burner tube has a spider nest inside of it causing poor combustion because of lack of air. All you have to do is remove the burner tube, that's the pipe about 3/4' diameter with a 90 degree bend in it.  Spiders love the smell of propane.

Well, I'm going to go out and crawl around inside camper.  It's been raining pretty good for hours.  Later this week when it isn't raining, I'll pull the water heater and see what I've got.  I need to go and get three or four bottles of lpg filled before weekend so I can checkout the rest of the gas appliances then.  My brother-in-law said he never used the furnace--They were in Florida with trailer so didn't need to.

When you check the furnace the same thing can happen there, too.  Mud daubers and other insects love to build nests in the outside vents that lead to the burner.

For the furnace, take off the outside panel and look for obstructions in the tubes leading from there to the furnace.

Went to check for rain leaks.  I couldn't find any wet spots!  :)
When I opened the door I found a little wren trying to get out of a window.  I got it out and didn't see any damage.  I had taken the vent cover off of the vent above the stove.  I put the stove vent together again.  I am going to add 1/8" hardware cloth to outside.  Rain for two more days.  :-\  Thanks for help.  I post pictures when I rip things apart.

Mary

You access the water heater burner tube from outside of the RV. No need o remove anything except the outside cover.

Agree with the others - soot does not indicate you need anew heater. Just some maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom