Tape Safe for Fiberglass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AKONTHEGO

We have tried several methods for insulating windows in the winter and have found the most effective is the rolls of reflective insulation taped to the exterior windows.  Everything we have tried inside creates a condensation pocket and/or mold.  The stretch film can't be used because of the built-in hard valances (our day/night blinds are attached to the valances which makes it even more difficult, if not impossible).

I taped the reflective insulation to the windows last winter, but when I tried to remove it, the tape left a residue that took me weeks to remove.  I used a duct tape that said it was low residue.  Is anyone familiar with a tape that would work here?  Something that would hold the insulation in place, but not leave residue (or as bad a residue as what I had)?

I care for my disabled husband and am hoping to find a way to take care of the drafts around the unit so he's warm and cozy!

Thanks in advance!

Luci

About the only tapes that do not leave much residue are a painter's masking tapes, and even they can do so if they get wet repeatedly e.g. window condensation.

3M makes a poster mounting tape that claims to be easily removable, but I've never tried it.
http://www.amazon.com/3M-109-Wallsaver-Removable-Mounting/dp/B00004Z4BR/ref=sr_1_1

I don't think any of the "safely removable" tapes will hold up to  the elements.

When I had a leaking car side window (being replaced under warranty), the body shop used a no-residue tape on the window that stayed there for 3 weeks and removed cleanly. It was a specialty tape they used, not available at big box stores (or so they said when I asked them about it). Might be worth talking to a body shop about it.

It would be good to know what tape that was.

Thanks for the body shop tape idea.  I will look into it today.  Appreciate all the input!

Luci

Perhaps a good quality doublestick tape applied to the glass, not the frame or the fiberglass  might work.Should be simple to take any residue off the glass with a razor blade scraper.

I'd look at making a frame and adapting the unit to secure using screws like storm windows. Shouldn't be that big a dal wnd would be neat.

Ernie

Back
Top Bottom