How to fix leaking window frame

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcross312

Hello everybody, hope all are having a great day so far. Im working on a leaking window frame. It appears the caulk has dried and cracked around my 98 windsport windows. The rear two have begun to leak. Underneath the windows on outside and inside are showing signs of water damage. I initially thought I needed to remove windows and clean old caulk and apply new sealer and re assemble. Then a guy at camping world suggested I clean and caulk around window without removing. So now im a little unsure which direction to go.

You can apply patch after patch and its still going to leak.  Best to remove, clean old stuff, apply new butyl caulk, reinstall the window.

I recently did all the windows ( one pending) on my 97 MH because of it being new to me and its age I removed the windows completely. the outside seal between the frame and wall was foam tape. old smashed and flaky. (glad i did it this way) I installed them with butyl tape and will be caulking the upper half of the frame. But you can choose to do the caulking only and seal it up.

Most windows have "weep" holes in the slide track to drain water from the track.  If plugged or blocked, water can collect and even run under the window and overflow the track inside.  Just make sure the weep holes are clear to prevent this.

That said, removing typical windows is not difficult.  Most have and inside and outside frame that simply sandwiches the walls between them with butyl tape under the outer frame as a caulk seal.  Look for several screws around the inside frame.  The tape is inexpensive and easy to apply.  The hardest part of the task is cleaning the old caulk before applying the new tape.

The weep holes are not clogged, ive already checked that. It appears the old caulk is just done. Ive already got some butyl tape and some rubbing alcohol to clean the surfaces, as well as some tools to remove old caulk. Sam, what are you saying about caulking upper half of frame? From what im seeing, you just tape all the way around frame, then reinstall windows. Im lost on what youre saying here.

Typically when installing windows, you apply butyl putty tape completely around the window.  After a few days clean off the excess squeezed out and apply caulk (Dicor or similar) never silicone around three sides, leaving the bottom uncaulked to allow any moisture a place to excape

Well I got a couple windows done today. Pretty darn easy really. My assistant got ahead of me today and trimmed the butyl tape off one window immediately before I could stop him. I know you're supposed to wait a couple days. What will happen now that it got trimmed off immediately. Will I have to re-do it?

jcross312 said:
Well I got a couple windows done today. Pretty darn easy really. My assistant got ahead of me today and trimmed the butyl tape off one window immediately before I could stop him. I know you're supposed to wait a couple days. What will happen now that it got trimmed off immediately. Will I have to re-do it?
Yes.  Heck after 10 years I still clean around all windows at least once a year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom