Motorhome recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tango Zulu

I will try to be as specific as possible in what I am looking. Please recommend at will.

1. Price cap 10K.
2. Must have shower and sleep up to 4 people.
3. Able to tow 5000 lbs.
4. Reliable if possible.
5. Gas engine driven preferred over diesel.
6. A nice to have would be lots of windows but its not a deciding factor.

You are looking for a used RV. The used market is extremely limited. You will have to search and find one that is available in your area at your price range and then have it inspected. You won't find a diesel under $10k so you don't have to worry about that. Many RVs under $10k will not be able to tow 5k pounds. If you do spend $10 or under on an RV you will need a large chunk of cash to get it reliable to use. Usually the tires on older vehicles will need replacing immediately. RV tires don't wear out, they expire. After seven years they are no longer safe to use. Check the date codes on any RV you plan on buying. Figure $2k to $3k to replace all the tires. The roof will probably need to be replaced.

You should have no problem finding some mid-90s and older Class C (and some Class A) gas motorhomes that have a shower and which will sleep four or more people for $10,000. However I'd be willing to bet that most of them will need new tires (ballpark $2000.00), and who know what the condition of other components and systems will be. Reliable...??? Well, that's another crap shoot, but I wouldn't plan any long trips until I had a good idea of everything's condition.

Some motorhomes will have a towing capacity of 5000 lbs but many might be limited to 3500 lbs. Even if they are rated at 5000 lbs, they might not be able to safely tow that much weight if the coach is heavily loaded. And as far as having a lot of windows... that's pretty subjective.

Kev

Ford F53 chassis up to and including 1997 have a towing capacity of 8000#. The coach manufactures de-rated that capacity because of frame extensions and then add only 3500# receivers. If you can find a short, older F53 with out frame extensions, you may be able to add a 5000# receiver and tow 5000# safely. I believe Fleetwood made a 28' coach, in that time frame, on the F53 chassis with out frame extensions.

Richard

I wouldn't say the used RV market is "extremely limited" by any means, but that probably depends a lot on your area.  Start shopping Craigslist and Ebay ads to get an idea of what's out there.  Ebay can show you what things are actually selling for.

I'd agree with what Richard said about a 1997 or up F53.  For perspective, I sold my 1994 Thor Residency (35-foot Class A) in 2012 for $8000.  It did not need any immediate expensive maintenance items, but it was definitely used.  Worked great for the guy I sold it to though, so there is a buyer and a seller for every type of rig.  You can find 1980's models for $5000-6000 in good running condition sometimes.  It really depends on what you are wanting and your planned uses of the rig.

It's also important to note that all RV's (used or new) will need ongoing tinkering and maintenance... it's just the nature of the beast.  If you have $10,000 max then you probably should only spend $8500-9000 on the RV itself, to allow a cushion for unanticipated repairs.  That's assuming it is purchased in drive-away condition.  High dollar items to verify on used RV's are the tires (actual age, not exterior appearance), roof A/C, refrigerator, roof condition (no leaks), walls/floors for water damage (from old leaks), and generator.

scottydl said:
I wouldn't say the used RV market is "extremely limited" by any means, but that probably depends a lot on your area.
Scotty I am talking about under $10k. There are less than a dozen class As on eBay under $10k.

Thanks for all the input.
I will look into the F53 chassis based variants. What is the standard length of a coach based on that chassis?I.e when do I know if the chassis was extended?
These are some of the Class A's I have been able to find. Of course they are old but some are pretty cheap. Adding 2 to 3k to bring them back into shape with tires or minor roof leaks should be doable I think.

This one looks interesting. Nice open space in the rear. A bit large however.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/rvs/5273466717.html

Old but pretty cheap. Interior looks ok

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/1985-Winnebago-Chieftain-27-116241097

Also old. Diesel

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/5309843240.html

Not sure about the condition of this one. But fairly new and pretty cheap.Wouldnt mind dropping 3K to fix it if needed.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/rvs/5300616755.html

This one looks to good to be true. Probably needs major repairs.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/rvd/5318113460.html

This one has a lot of exclamation marks. Must be good.

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/rvs/5289831284.html

Anyone know of the top of their head which of these can tow 5000 lbs+?

This one seems to fit the bill for a F53 chassis that has not been elongated. It is a little bit above my budget. The 4x4 conversion seems like a nice addition. I can imagine it could come in handy pulling a trailer from standstill in wet grassy areas. Does it seem like a fair price provided it does not need any major repairs?

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/rvs/5316933710.html

I've never seen a 4?4 motorhome!  A 23 footer is going to be a tight fit for 4 people.  The overhead bunk of a Class C is okay for 1 adult or a couple kids, but can be a tight fit otherwise.

Pricing ranges for RVs can be found at www.nadaguides.com ... click on RV tab and then search by year/make/model.  Do not add in options for used RVs.

How about a Class C?

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/rvs/5320175929.html

I'm sure you already know this...but...since you're looking in Florida, beware flood-salvage vehicles. Lots of unscrupulous sellers out there...

RV rate the number they can sleep on the high side. My RV is rated for 6 but the only way I can sleep 6 if 4 of them are small children. Most rate the sofa couch, dinette, and over head bunk for 2 but they really sleep 1 adult comfortable. For your budget I think you will need to choose between 4 people and confort or towing capacity.  What are you towing with the rv and are you sure its over 3500 lbs?

Tango Zulu said:
I will look into the F53 chassis based variants. What is the standard length of a coach based on that chassis?I.e when do I know if the chassis was extended?
Don't worry about that, they are all extended. I toured the Winnebago factory and they mentioned on the tour that they have to either extend or shorten just about every chassis they receive since chassis all come in only a few sizes. They use precision measured laser welding to change the chassis size.

Also the towing capacity on motorhomes is often restricted to 3500# not by drivetrain, but because of hitch class or hitch attachment... often just 4 bolts or small welds.  Hitches can be upgraded by adding long steel plates run forward and bolted to the frame in multiple places.  Welding/fab metal shops can often do those kind of upgrades.

SeilerBird said:
Scotty I am talking about under $10k. There are less than a dozen class As on eBay under $10k.

You are right about eBay but my local Craigslist has over 30 Class A/B/Cs under 10G.  About two or three that I would consider - the rest are trash.

So nothing really interesting of the classifieds I posted on the class As? I guess the only way to find the towing capacity on those is to call the owners and ask.
As far as towing, I am towing a race car. It weighs about 3200 lbs + trailer.

It's almost impossible to know the specific tow capacities on any given rig... That info would be on the data tag for each RV.  So the sellers should be able to give you that information, although to know for sure the weight of the loaded rig needs to be known too.  Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Ratio (GCVWR) - Gross Vehicle Weight Ratio (GVWR) = Towing Capacity or Max Trailer/Toad Weight.  But that's for the RV drivetrain and you are still limited by the hitch capabilities.  Many rigs of the vintage you are considering will be rated for 3500# but can be upgraded as I described earlier, if you have the necessary headroom with your towing capacity.

This one seems to fit the bill for a F53 chassis that has not been elongated.

That is NOT an F53 chassis. The Class C Ford's use the E350 or E450 chassis. The E350 doesn't have anywhere near the GCWR to to a hefty trailer, but the E450 might.

The F53 chassis comes in a variety of wheelbases (lengths) from around 190" to 228" and the motorhome builder chooses based on the size he wants to build and target price.  Generally, though, a coach will have a long rear overhang (behind the axle) and thus a frame "extension" to support it.

Bill N said:
You are right about eBay but my local Craigslist has over 30 Class A/B/Cs under 10G.  About two or three that I would consider - the rest are trash.
That is exactly what I am talking about. The market for RVs under $10k is extremely limited. I have shopped it several times. If you are looking for a motorhome over $50k there are zillions.

I've been shopping for another coach to replace my Challenger. Every thing I've seen below 10 grand isn't something that I'd want. Seems like MH have take a jump upwards in price. I've had a few coachs setup to pull a drag car and trailer. Every coach that I've owned has had frame modifications in order to pull a race car trailer.

The coach I just made a deal on will have frame modifications too before I do any towing with it. If you're looking to buy in the south or west, it seems the prices are still way above what I'd call a deal. Northern dealers and some private parties are lowering their prices this time of the year. I was able to get another $3500.00 off of a coach that was already on a sale price, compared to ones listed in the southern states. 

Also drive a coach with the Ford chassis and drive one with a GM or a Workhorse chassis before you decide which to buy. Any of them can be made to tow the amount of weight you're talking about. Myself I like the GM chassis and wouldn't consider a Ford because I never like the way the ones I tested drove. The newer Ford or Workhorse chassis may be entirely different, but I've never drove one of them, as they are out of my price range. My budget is below $20,000. Yea there is some nice coachs out there for that kind of money, ya just have to look. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom