Oops...Too much throttle.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
O

Oscar Mike

Here is a photo of one our local club members "conquering" an obstacle...

Attachments

• 11221419_1076513442361459_7336466690564699512_n[1].jpg
    11221419_1076513442361459_7336466690564699512_n[1].jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 233
Wow, somebody should have told him to always keep at least three tires on the ground at all times  :D.  Do that on some obstacles and you can break something.

Throttle control skill took me a long time to master and I'm still not quite there in some situations. 

I have a very touchy throttle on my Jeep. I do my absolute best to have a light foot in an effort to not break traction. I noticed though that my MT/Rs broke traction a couple of times, twice due to my heavy foot, and I believe a few times because of the PSI I was running, 17#.

I am looking forward to getting bead locks sometime in the coming year.

I can't remember if you have the stock Moab rims or not - if so you can safely run them at 10-12 pounds.  17 pounds is too much air for the trail.  Being in the correct gear (and geared properly for your tire size/tranny) for the situation is also part of being a smooth driver.

John Canfield said:
I can't remember if you have the stock Moab rims or not - if so you can safely run them at 10-12 pounds.  17 pounds is too much air for the trail.  Being in the correct gear (and geared properly for your tire size/tranny) for the situation is also part of being a smooth driver.

You're right, and each time I go out I learn a little more, and I let a little more air out of the tires. I am running Level 8 (Chinese) wheels, which seem to be an okay wheel...I just don't know how low I can go yet. I will be airing down to at least 14 PSI on Sunday and see how that goes.

John was that at the Hump & Bump rally or just a local club trail run?

Our Jeep club was going to go to the Hump & Bump but everyone had conflicting schedules and we couldn't make it.

Mike.

zmotorsports said:
John was that at the Hump & Bump rally or just a local club trail run?

Our Jeep club was going to go to the Hump & Bump but everyone had conflicting schedules and we couldn't make it.

Mike.

That was during the Hump N Bump...you remember the text you read about the trail leader and the trip to Whitmore Point...that's the guy. Great guy, just heavy footed, he likes running the trails like he is running the King of Hammers.

Oscar Mike said:
That was during the Hump N Bump...you remember the text you read about the trail leader and the trip to Whitmore Point...that's the guy. Great guy, just heavy footed, he likes running the trails like he is running the King of Hammers.

I know people like that.  They are usually the ones requiring everyone else's help to get their rig pieced back together to get off the trail. :eek:

Mike.

Oscar Mike said:
You're right, and each time I go out I learn a little more, and I let a little more air out of the tires. I am running Level 8 (Chinese) wheels, which seem to be an okay wheel...I just don't know how low I can go yet. I will be airing down to at least 14 PSI on Sunday and see how that goes.

I typically run my 35x12.5 MTR's at 8-10psi depending how the Jeep is loaded, and did the same on the 33x12's that I used to run (both on 8" wide rims) and have never lost a bead. You should easily be fine at 10psi. It's amazing how much more grip it gets you when you get more air out. It's also easier on the tires in the rocks.

As far as time pressure I generally run my 35's right @ 14psi.  I know I could go lower but I haven't found the need.  They grip well and the ride is good.  Also keep in mind the lower the tire pressure is the lower your axles are to the ground as you are losing some clearance.

Mike.

Pre running trails this week in Gold Canyon, good trails and great scenery. Looks to be a fun couple weeks. Hope next weeks predicted rain is not to heavy.

Becks said:
Pre running trails this week in Gold Canyon, good trails and great scenery. Looks to be a fun couple weeks. Hope next weeks predicted rain is not to heavy.

Gotta admit Gary, I'm a bit jealous.

Mike.

zmotorsports said:
I know people like that.  They are usually the ones requiring everyone else's help to get their rig pieced back together to get off the trail. :eek:

Mike.

Thought you'd get a kick out of this...same guy yesterday on the Matterhorn Trail running unlocked D35 and D30 driving hard as usual.

Attachments

• 12247058_10153125363550689_9141520532611997838_n[1].jpg
    12247058_10153125363550689_9141520532611997838_n[1].jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 12278981_10153125363595689_8303037028690297746_n[1].jpg
    12278981_10153125363595689_8303037028690297746_n[1].jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 56
By the looks of that first picture, it appears to have been broken for a while, the majority of the bracket anyways, and then finally the rest let go.

That sucks wheeling with people like that who appear to always be the ones who have issues. 

Mike.

Slipped off a large rock two days ago and bent a rear control arm, had to remove and straighten. One thing I am going to do is order the control arm bolt kit which I have seen available. Way to much slop in the stock bolts. Always something to fix or strengthen.

Oscar Mike said:
Thought you'd get a kick out of this...same guy yesterday on the Matterhorn Trail running unlocked D35 and D30 driving hard as usual.

Those stock rear upper ca mounts are a weak link if running larger than about 33" tires. I'm pretty easy on my throttle and a couple of the welds broke on both sides last year at Moab. After the welds broke, they bent enough to change my pinion angle. Wound up cutting them off and replacing with some heavy duty brackets.

I've seen several folks have the same issue running bigger tires. It's probably a good idea to check them for cracks now and again. I'm sure him having a lead foot hastened it's demise.

Attachments

• CAB 1.jpg
    CAB 1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 30
Back
Top Bottom