RV trailer accident

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roadhappy

There was a bad accident here the other evening.  You never know when it's your time.
http://sanangelolive.com/news/crashes/2015-11-18/details-emerge-fatal-crash-fm-2288

Bad stuff. I feel for the victims. It's a shame that not everyone will take the time and effort to do things right, especially when safety is at stake. This isn't the first loose trailer I've known about:

Back in '66 my (now) wife and I were on a two lane highway in northern KY when a horse trailer detached from a pickup going the opposite direction and narrowly missed us -- though I had to dodge it, going down an embankment -- but it hit a car behind us. I never knew whether anyone was killed, but there were at least serious injuries. We had a little damage to one fender after hitting a guard rail, but pulling it away from the tire allowed us to continue on. Thankfully we were wearing seat belts.

Horrible for sure.  I wonder if they had safety chains.  Assuming not.  I normally do not use a padlock on the tongue connection and many times just use a receiver pin with a locking pin.  Often thought that some whacked out person could easily pull the pin or lift the latch on the trailer.  Time to rethink my procedures.  A whole lot more at stake than just material damages.

I always use a lockable pin on the coupler. I lost a trailer with 2 new jet skis on it back in 96, but it didn't come all the way off. The safety chains held it on the back of the truck. Was in the center lane of the 3 lane highway and hit some washboarding from the semi traffic when it came off. One thing about it was the other drivers were aware what had happened and gave me plenty of room to get it woaed down. It ground a lot off the bottom of the coupler, but that was the only damage. Ever since then I make sure the coupler is adjusted right and locked on. That's one ride I'll never forget.

Often thought that some whacked out person could easily pull the pin or lift the latch on the trailer.  Time to rethink my procedures.

When we do our walk-around before driving I check all the chains, locks and connections, including the pins on the rear ladder.  They're all pretty secure but someone, especially kids fiddling around who don't understand what they're doing, might pull a pin or other attachment.  I'd rather see it before we drive.

I wonder if the Pace Arrow driver had an auxiliary braking system with break-away.

ArdraF

Sounds like a fatality that did not have to happen.  The  paper says the family is considering suing the trailer manufacturer - wrong folks to sue.  You can't fix stupid and this looks to be a case of just that if in fact there were no safety chains.  Hookups are a big safety issue but I would like to bring up one involving toads that most folks don't consider.  If you tow a vehicle, does the base plate on that vehicle have a safety cable attached to the frame of the vehicle on each arm of the base plate?  I am speaking of the arms that attach to the vehicle frame.  There have been several reports of toads that got loose because the base plate detached from the toad.  Safety cables will prevent this and it is worth checking yours to see if you even have these cables - not all do.

So sad. I always worry about people new to trailers (or all types) because the sales staff don't always give good (or any) instructions.

A related story with a happier ending:
I had at least 2-3 of my children at the lake fishing quite a few years back. We were near a boat ramp, and watched a guy backing a boat down the ramp. It was obviously his first time, but he was doing better than some I have seen. Once the trailer was on the steepest part of the ramp, it came unhooked from the vehicle and started rolling! The kids (older teens, big and strong) ran over and grabbed the tongue of the trailer. Luckily it was a little Jon boat! We all helped him get the trailer back to his vehicle, took 5-6 of us. I showed him what the chains were for, how to attach them, and to make sure they were crossed under the tongue. No one showed him any of that when he bought the new boat and trailer. Sigh.

UTTransplant said:
I showed him what the chains were for, how to attach them, and to make sure they were crossed under the tongue. No one showed him any of that when he bought the new boat and trailer. Sigh.

Are you saying he wasn't using the safety chains? If that's the case, it's just stupid. Comma sense should have stepped in.  Didn't he wonder what those chains were for?

Rene T said:
Are you saying he wasn't using the safety chains? If that's the case, it's just stupid. Comma sense should have stepped in.  Didn't he wonder what those chains were for?
Yup, no safety chains. They were carefully wrapped around the trailer. He didn't have a clue what they were for. I let my 14 and 18 year old sons tell him.  ;)

Sad story, but I question the use of lockable pins on the coach hitch and trailer coupler.  I have locks for them, but only use them when camped.  When moving, I use the standard pins with the snap on devices so that the pins stay in place.  My reasoning is from a video I saw last year of a coach catching fire, and rescuers were able to seperate the toad from the coach before it also caught on fire.  Whenever I stop without the locking devices in place (potty break, lunch, etc.) I always check to make sure that the chains, pins and surge break line are properly in place before moving on.  Am I wrong about not locking the coach hitch and trailer coupler?

1PlasticMan1 said:
When moving, I use the standard pins with the snap on devices so that the pins stay in place.  My reasoning is from a video I saw last year of a coach catching fire, and rescuers were able to seperate the toad from the coach before it also caught on fire.  Whenever I stop without the locking devices in place (potty break, lunch, etc.) I always check to make sure that the chains, pins and surge break line are properly in place before moving on.

I think that's smart on your part. I can only imagine what it would be like trying to unhook the toad if there was a fire if you had the locking pins.  Changes are your keys would be in the coach. I know mine would be. I hate carrying keys in my pocket.

1PlasticMan1 said:
Sad story, but I question the use of lockable pins on the coach hitch and trailer coupler.  I have locks for them, but only use them when camped.  When moving, I use the standard pins with the snap on devices so that the pins stay in place.  My reasoning is from a video I saw last year of a coach catching fire, and rescuers were able to seperate the toad from the coach before it also caught on fire.  Whenever I stop without the locking devices in place (potty break, lunch, etc.) I always check to make sure that the chains, pins and surge break line are properly in place before moving on.  Am I wrong about not locking the coach hitch and trailer coupler?

I do the same, and at every stop I check everything, every time.

Gregg said:
Horrible for sure.  I wonder if they had safety chains.  Assuming not.  I normally do not use a padlock on the tongue connection and many times just use a receiver pin with a locking pin.  Often thought that some whacked out person could easily pull the pin or lift the latch on the trailer.  Time to rethink my procedures.  A whole lot more at stake than just material damages.

Funny that you bring that up. A co-worker was towing a 5x8 cargo trailer behind his Subaru a couple of years ago. He stopped at the grocery store to pick something up, came back out and headed home. He got about 3 stoplights away from the grocery store before the hitch slide all the way out of the receiver and the safety chains caught the trailer.
While he was in the store somebody pulled the pin out of his hitch. It only took accelerating a few times for the hitch to slide out of the receiver.
After him telling me that, I lock everything I can, and every time my truck/trailer combo is out of my sight I do a walk around before I drive away.

JnHinMT said:
Funny that you bring that up. A co-worker was towing a 5x8 cargo trailer behind his Subaru a couple of years ago. He stopped at the grocery store to pick something up, came back out and headed home. He got about 3 stoplights away from the grocery store before the hitch slide all the way out of the receiver and the safety chains caught the trailer.
While he was in the store somebody pulled the pin out of his hitch. It only took accelerating a few times for the hitch to slide out of the receiver.
After him telling me that, I lock everything I can, and every time my truck/trailer combo is out of my sight I do a walk around before I drive away.

Had he checked his tow set up before he pulled away...I know it is a mundane task especially for a small trailer but it is an essential task nonetheless.

I have a 5vr and whenever I'm travelling like distances like going to FL, I always lock the hitch so no one can pull the latch handle. I've heard of people having that done to them with catastrophic results. If I'm just towing locally, I never do.

I always have the rear view camera on when towing our Jeep behind the motor home. Many years ago, I stopped at a red light and as I made a let turn, the right side of the tow bar broke as I was watched in in the rear camera display. The car was then off center and I immediately pulled over. The safety cable on the side that broke was keeping the Jeep from drifting to far to the left. I, also check the Jeep hookup when ever we stop and always just before departing a parking area. I did find the Retaining snaps had been stolen from the hitch pins at a Walmart stop in OH about 7 years ago.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom