Thinking of getting a Jeep Wrangler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyb1st

Been looking at Wranglers for a few weeks.  Not sure if we'll buy new or used.  Used prices are quite high which makes me think new may be the better plan.  Looked at a 2016 Unlimited Sport which listed at $36,210.  They discounted it $510.  Then they offered me $7,500 for my trade, a 2005 F250 Diesel with a book value of $15 - 19,000.  If I wasn't so taken aback by their low ball offer I would have laughed.  Already had a price from Carmax for $12,000 and sold it today for $12,750.  The Ford 6.0 diesel is not a sought after engine, but that is another story.  Not likely to do any major rock crawling but would like to get off the paved roads once in a while.  Need a 4 door automatic.  Other than that haven't really thought much about options. 

I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to equip a Jeep and whether or not dealers outside of California are actually dealing.  Also what years should I avoid if I decide to buy used.  I've heard the 3.6 engine in the 2011 and later Jeeps are the way to go.  Still if it's not a significant improvement and I can find great deal on a pre 2011 Jeep, I'll take a serious look at older units.

Thanks for your thoughts. 

Hi Gary - afraid I can't offer much info.  I have a 2010 2-door with manual trans and 3.8 V6.  I love it.  I would not want to make a 5000 mile interstate trip with it but it is sure fun everywhere else - especially off road.  As you've noted, they seem to hold their value pretty well.

I have a friend that has many of the options (bumpers, winch, lifted, big tires, short doors, etc.) and his is pretty fun too.  I am a full-timer so mine basically serves as my garage (mountain bike, road bike, fishing gear, kayak gear, etc. inside - kayak on top). As such, I went with the hard top and threw the rear seat out.

While not knocking the Wrangler in any way, since you are not an off-road enthusiast, I wonder if you might not enjoy a 4WD or AWD SUV more? There are plenty of comfortable vehicles that are readily capable of getting off the pavement if you aren't going to do serious rock-crawling or mudding. Maybe a Chevy Equinox or GMC Terrain, Ford Flex, Jeep Cherokee, etc.  Just a thought...

Or you can go to the other extreme and get a Rubicon. This is the closest you can get to a true off road equipped vehicle in stock form; and its VERY close. We've run most of the intermediate trails (rated to 3.5) at Moab in ours as stock (added a winch, but never used it) before we added a four inch lift (Tara insisted ;D ). Less scraping, but same trails.

I believe this Jeep to be tougher than a standard automobile and therefore better suited for towing on some of our rough interstates, but that isn't sufficient justification for the extra cost if you don't otherwise use it to its limits.

Ernie

Most of the points of view have been covered pretty well already. My caution would be (and I have owned 5 different Jeeps) be careful if you purchase used and it already has some work done to it. Some are done well and have great mods, but if done incorrectly they can cause you many problems.

Usually it is because doing one simple thing to a Jeep, like putting on bigger tires to look cool, will cause the need to regear the diff to make it run right.  Not trying to scare you away, frankly I love my Jeep and highly recommend them. Getting off road and seeing the back country is a big part of our travels. Just be aware and don't be afraid to ask questions.

While not knocking the Wrangler in any way, since you are not an off-road enthusiast, I wonder if you might not enjoy a 4WD or AWD SUV more? There are plenty of comfortable vehicles that are readily capable of getting off the pavement if you aren't going to do serious rock-crawling or mudding. Maybe a Chevy Equinox or GMC Terrain, Ford Flex, Jeep Cherokee, etc.  Just a thought...

Haven't ruled them out.  Our daily driver is an older Infiniti SUV.  It's a great car with decent ground clearance.  Unfortunately, it's not 4 wheel drive and can only be towed on a trailer. 

Another possibility is a small pickup.  I liked having the F250, but it weighs more than 7,500 lbs dry and can't be towed except on a trailer.  It was pretty capable off road but was limited because of it's long wheel base.  I know I'm going to miss having a truck so I'm also thinking of a new GMC Canyon or comparable towable. 

Ernie, that's good to know.  I had no idea why the Rubicon was so much more.  Is the Rubicon any better handling on paved roads? 

JFNM/Ernie, how have your Jeeps been mechanically?  My niece who worked at a Jeep dealer a few years ago, said to stay away from certain years.  After experiencing so many problems with the F250, including being stranded in Death Valley when it was less than 6 months old, I was never comfortable driving it long distances.  I would hate to buy another new vehicle and go through that again.  I can deal with A/C and radios not working, but I don't really want to be stranded in the middle of the Mojave. 

Thanks Sarge.  That's good to know.  I don't like the looks of the smaller 16 inch tires and my thinking was to buy after market wheels and tires.  Now I'm not so sure. 

Hear is an idea on finding out about pricing. Go to this web site Build the one you like and you can put in different zip codes to see what the price is in different areas plus see what if any incentives are available. Makes me curious as we have 18 Jeep dealers in the area.
If you by new you can include setting up for towing as part of the deal. When I bought my 2014 CR-V (last  year you can tow 4 down) I had them install the baseplate and lights as part of the deal. Well ok it cost me $100.00 to have my car ready to hook up and go.

http://www.jeepcurrentoffers.com/wrangler/?year=2015&sid=1037056&KWNM=jeep+wrangler&KWID=43700005977828389&TR=2&channel=paidsearch
Let us know what you find on pricing. I am betting you can get a better deal in the DFW area than California.
Bill

Sell the truck outright then go shopping. You'll be way ahead of the game.

OOPS. I just reread your post and realized that you sold the truck already.

Yep, my Rubicon came with 17" tires, but I have never wanted to go bigger for just that reason. Plus the Rubi  is pretty capable the way it is, so for the kind of wheeling I occasionally do it's perfect.

garyb1st said:
Been looking at Wranglers for a few weeks.  Not sure if we'll buy new or used.  Used prices are quite high which makes me think new may be the better plan. 

Gary,

We just sold our 2003 Wrangler Rubicon for $2000 less than our purchase price 6 years ago.  That proved to me how well they hold the value.  Now the amount of $ we spent on modifications during those 6 years does not count! We are  getting a new Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited  because we wanted a 4 door for passenger capabilities. Terry had a price  in mind he wanted to pay and went online for Jeep dealers all across the West. Some would deal some would not. The Jeep market is a hot one and some dealers can name  their  price.  We ordered new to get the options we wanted.  We got ours  in Bremerton,  Washington at West Hills  Chrysler Jeep. Dallas was our sales guy. We are  having it transported to Yuma on a cargo transport as soon as  it is out of "the shop"  where it is  being  built up.  Good luck in your search. 

You do know that Jeep is an acronym for  Just Empty Every Pocket  as the  off road sport is quite addicting.

Price - you can do better then $510 off, If you are a AAA member that in itself will get you 1% under invoice.  Some dealerships will not deal at all others will thus shop around.  When I was shopping for my jeep a few months ago the local dealership where my soon to be X wife purchased her 08 JKU from would only give me 1% under invoice which was on a $46K vehicle.  I went to another dealership 10 miles away & they were willing to deal and I was able to get approx 9% off MSRP which was approx $2,000 less then the 1% off MSRP the other dealership would do. I am sure if I would of been better at haggling I could of done better.  Some state Costco sells Jeep's at 9.5% off MSRP which is a no haggle deal where Costco work with specific dealerships only, the one I would of worked with was 45 miles away which I didn't want to deal with. 

Engine - the latest engine is far better, lots more power, more willing to rev, is quieter & gets better MPG.  I would spend the money and get the newer engine... owned both... no comparison

Handling wise my guess is the rubicon would handle the worst due to the most agressive offroad tire.  I went with a 2016 Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock, handles better then I thought it would considering the offroad oriented tires.....  The tires I am sure will get noisy as they age, only have 3,200 miles on the jeep so far.  If one in seriously into offraoding you are better off getting more of a base model.  Most state when larger wheels/tires are used even the OEM 4.11 gearing isn't enough... many also want lift kits etc which is part of what you pay extra for with the rubicon.

For me I will use it to push snow thus I wanted the better drive shafts and upgraded suspension to deal with that better.  I also wanted the vented hood to help with engine temps when I have the plow on the front.... plus it looks cool :)

Most state you can go up to 33in tires w/o needing a regear. 

The Rubi came with BF Goodrich's which were very aggressive. I went through 2 sets pretty quick.  I than went to Coopers in a 275/70/17, which is slightly bigger than a 32", so going to 33" wouldn't make that much of a difference. BTW, the Coopers have lasted about twice as long as the stock tires did.

garyb1st said:
JFNM/Ernie, how have your Jeeps been mechanically?

I bought mine used and the clutch/throwout bearing started squealing a short time later. I put up with it for nearly a year and then had a new clutch installed.  Not sure if this was due to Jeep/parts or the previous owner.  In any case, it wasn't terribly dramatic. Otherwise; mine has been very reliable.  It tows wonderfully and is crazy simple to connect/disconnect.

Just a quick note, 2012 was the first year for the 3.6 motor. Better motor by far, so best to stick with 2012 or newer.

I find it drives ok, but it's not a Caddy. Tara likes it and, as I noted, she suggested the lift. That and the winch/bumper are the only mods I've made (or want). As noted the tires are fairly soft and do get noisy at about 18, 000 miles but not objectionably so. I've not found a need to go to larger tires myself.

Otherwise,  its quiet (no rattles) and has been bullet proof for the first 20, 000 miles. As noted the newer engine/trans is vastly better than the earlier six cylinder (I have one of each).

Ernie

Betty Brewer said:
Gary,

We just sold our 2003 Wrangler Rubicon for $2000 less than our purchase price 6 years ago.  That proved to me how well they hold the value.  Now the amount of $ we spent on modifications during those 6 years does not count!
  Sounds like the $2,000 was calculated using the new math?

We are  getting a new Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited  because we wanted a 4 door for passenger capabilities.
  If yours was a 4 door, it might have been my picture in the photo you posted with the new owner.  I sure liked the way Terry modified it.   

You do know that Jeep is an acronym for  Just Empty Every Pocket  as the  off road sport is quite addicting.
I'm sure there must be some acronym for those of us who have children because, empty pockets are empty pockets no matter the reason.  Three weddings so far, one coming up next year and the last one, who knows?  But heck, there's always the grandkids. 

Thanks for all the replies.  The links are very helpful.  The salesman at the Jeep dealer I visited a few days ago called to ask if I was going to purchase.  My response was possibly, just not from him. 

Still not convinced Jeep is the way to go.  As much as I like the looks of the Wrangler and its off-roading capability, most of our usage will be on paved roads. 

Back
Top Bottom