Thinking of getting a Jeep Wrangler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes you will be happy with that Jeep!

Attachments

• rv laughlin3.jpg
    rv laughlin3.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 53
Test drove two Jeeps Sunday afternoon.  We were about $1,000 from owning a new Oscar Mike.  Don't recall what the actual discount was but probably 7% off MSRP.  Since those brief rides, I've done a bit more research on the Wrangler and read that several owners have experienced leaks with the hard tops.  A few others have had ongoing mechanical problems.  I'm really concerned about the mechanical since I've paid my dues on a new 2005 Ford F250 diesel a few years back.  That one had almost all the problems a 6.0 can have.  So three questions.

First, how does 7% off MSRP sound for a new Jeep?

Second, what kind of problems have you had?

Third, if we buy used, (need to keep a few dollars in the bank for the diesel pusher we plan on buying) which years should I be looking at?.  While I'd like the newer engine, i could live with the older engine if everything else was OK. 

Mine had a leak about every 5th time it rained. They have a kit to fix, dealer fixed mine and has not leaked since.

I have a 2013 Sierra with the 3 piece Hardtop. Have never had a leak and I have been in some wild storms.  The vehicle retailed for $34,900 and I paid $29,245 which included a $750 Jeep cash rebate.

Greg, what is a Sierra?  Also where did you buy it?  That's more than 12% discount.  Most every site I've checked has discounts of from 5 to 7%. 

Becks said:
Mine had a leak about every 5th time it rained. They have a kit to fix, dealer fixed mine and has not leaked since.

The problem here on the West Coast is it doesn't rain a whole lot.  Present time excepted when we're finally getting a bit of drought relief.  The lack of rain also means most So Cal RV owners probably don't know whether or not their RV roof actually leaks.  Most say it doesn't.  In fact the guy we bought ours from said it never leaked.  It was leak free until we went to Wisconsin and back.  ;)

Hope you have better luck then we did.
All my life I wanted a Jeep Wrangler and all my wifes life she wanted a fire engine red convertible.
When we finally reached the stage where we could pay cash for any vehicle we wanted, we settled on a brand new fire engine red Jeep Wrangler Sport.
I had always heard of "lemons", but never new they existed until we got that Jeep. For the first three months it was back to the dealers every other week for major repairs on the brakes, transmission, electrical systems. and miscellaneous other things.

We finally took a terrible loss and four months later traded it in for a Ford Escape and lived happily ever after

Jack L

Bought a 15 Wrangler Sport last year and I really like it and so far so good. I figure all soft top Jeeps leak anyway and it's not to bad considering my first Jeep was a 48 Willy's 2A, a real Jeep ;). Love them flat fenders.
We had an 06 Liberty and didn't have any problems with it other than an AC compressor, sensor and the window track issue. It had 170,000 on it when we got rid of it, I wanted to keep it as a spare. I hope this Wrangler works out as well as that Liberty.

http://www.elkgrovedodge.net/

The Sierra model is between the Sport and Rubicon. I specifically like the Sierra as it is the only Jeep with 18" tires which provide a much nicer ride. I got the leather interior, nav and towing pkg, hardtop, and Bluetooth pkg.  Elk Grove Jeep located just South of Sacramento discounts their Jeeps an average of $4995.00. To avoid Calif taxes they delivered it to me in Reno where I signed notarized Calif DMV documents and trailered it back to Oregon. I plan to replace it with the 2018 model that will start using some aluminum in the body.

My top has never leaked a drop, and I have been in serious east coast weather many times in the 8 years I have owned it. My only real problem has been the plastic shift bushings failing, but once I replaced them with brass the problem went away. I have read less and less about the problem with newer years.

Gregb2781 said:
Oh duh I was  having a moment - meant Sahara. Just got back from the Sierras and had that stuck.
That's what I thought you meant.  :)    Does your jeep have an automatic  transmission?  That'w what the wife wants.  I noticed the dealer where you purchased your jeep has several discounted almost $5,000.  However they don't have an automatic transmission.  Maybe the demand for the standard transmission is down.  Not sure why they would offer a more substantial discount on them.

SargeW said:
My top has never leaked a drop, and I have been in serious east coast weather many times in the 8 years I have owned it. My only real problem has been the plastic shift bushings failing, but once I replaced them with brass the problem went away. I have read less and less about the problem with newer years.

Sarge, do you have both the hard top and the soft top?  If so, does removing and reinstalling the hard top create any problems?  When I look at the options, I see they offer a 3 piece top in addition to the regular hard top.  Not sure what that is or if that could be part of the problem.  I believe it's the top where the pieces over the driver and passenger areas can be removed. 

Your Jeep must be a 2007 or 8.  I've thought about buying used and putting the difference toward the new motorhome.  Only questions are what are the better years and how significant is the upgraded engine that is available in either 2011 or 2012?  That said, there doesn't seem to be any significant price drop for the late model used Jeeps.  I'm thinking 2012 - 2014.  But then I'm giving up a few years warranty and potentially buying someones problem Jeep. 

2012 was first year for the new motor. I have the 3 piece top and leak was in the small removable front pieces. Again the kit they have fixed my leak. Shop 2012 or newer if able for the new motor. Also decide how serious your off road driving will be so as to buy the proper model.

Becks said:
2012 was first year for the new motor. I have the 3 piece top and leak was in the small removable front pieces. Again the kit they have fixed my leak. Shop 2012 or newer if able for the new motor. Also decide how serious your off road driving will be so as to buy the proper model.

We won't be taking a new Jeep on any rock crawling expeditions.  The basic sport will most likely address our needs.  However, it's not easy to see some of the beauties on the lot and not want to sign on the bottom line.  The one thing I will not drive is a Jeep with the smaller 16 inch tires.  They just don't look like Jeeps.  ;) 

Sounds like you have a good shopping plan laid out Gary. When shopping in 2014 I found they wanted almost as much for a used one as a new one, so I chose to go new with full warranty. Good luck shopping for both Jeep and DP.

Yes I have the automatic transmission.  The Elk Grove dealer is high volume with their discounts. I have seen 40 Wranglers on their site and their gone in a week. They can tell you what they have on order.

garyb1st said:
Sarge, do you have both the hard top and the soft top?  If so, does removing and reinstalling the hard top create any problems?  When I look at the options, I see they offer a 3 piece top in addition to the regular hard top.  Not sure what that is or if that could be part of the problem.  I believe it's the top where the pieces over the driver and passenger areas can be removed. 

Your Jeep must be a 2007 or 8.  I've thought about buying used and putting the difference toward the new motorhome.  Only questions are what are the better years and how significant is the upgraded engine that is available in either 2011 or 2012?  That said, there doesn't seem to be any significant price drop for the late model used Jeeps.  I'm thinking 2012 - 2014.  But then I'm giving up a few years warranty and potentially buying someones problem Jeep. 

Yeah Gary, I have the 3 piece "Freedom" top. It the one where the front panels remove over the front seats creating sort of a convertible in the front.  Again,  my Freedom tops have never leaked a drop.  I don't have the soft top option, and glad that I don't.  I would doubtfully ever take off the whole hard top and it would just wind up collecting dust in the garage. 

My Jeep is an 08' with the 6 speed manual, and a Rubicon package.  I find it extremely capable weather wheeling Moab or just old gravel trails.  The 4 door is great for me, either for the doggie condo, or putting the seat up and taking passengers.  Either way, it's paid for and will thus be around for a very long time.

Back
Top Bottom