Windows 10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prior member

Has any one upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7 ?
If so is there a big learning curve?

Jack l

not a big curve from 8 or 7. Programs quit running too often and have to be recovered. twitter, paint on my computer. 

I hardly even notice the difference except it always runs slow after startup because it is busy downloading updates. They should have called it Windows Always Updating.

I've had W10 running on several computers since before it was released.  I only had one little driver problem that took about an hour or so to solve.

Tom: this might help - http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

cpaulsen said:
No learning curve and you can stop all the widows updates.

With the home version of Win 10 I haven't heard of a way to stop Microsoft updates.

I don't see a lot of differences over Win7.

One issue I'm having is recently my start menu quit working.
Apparently it's a known issue that can happen after an update.
I've looked at some fixes,but have not yet been able to make them work.

I like it better than Win 8/8.1 because the interface is more like Win 7 and it does seem to run faster and with fewer "crashes" than any Win O/S before.  The only problem I have had is with driver updates and a weird sleep/shutdown problem.  I just wrestled a problem to the ground on my wife's laptop.  She uses a USB mouse and had trouble with inadvertently triggering something from the touchpad.  I set it to disable when a USB mouse was plugged in and that fixed it...I thought.  After a reboot, the problem came back.  The setting was not being remembered when rebooting.  I had to delete the driver and driver software so it would update fully.  Now it's fixed (I hope).

The sleep/shutdown problem occurred on my laptop.  It turned out to be a specific update.  I finally uncovered it after LOTS of Google searches.  I was able to remove it and hide the update so it would not reinstall.

I have a 29GIG per month plan.  I have heard that 10 is upgrade intensive.  We have 2 computers and wonder if there are enough GIGs to handle it.  We currently use most of the time for data trransfer.

Someone more knowledgeable than me will have to tell you how to do it, but I know there is a way to download it to one machine and then upgrade to the other machine from the first one. That way you only have to download the upgrade once.

If you download Windows 10 using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool, you can save it as an ISO.  Then either burn it to a DVD or a bootable USB drive using something like Rufus.  You can then use that to upgrade your other computers. The download can be from 3-6GB depending on which version and whether you get the 32-bit, 64-bit, or the combined version.

I'm concerned about programs that will run on W7 but not on W10. Is there an easy solution to this?

If a program ran in 7 there's a pretty good chance (like 100%) that it will run in 10.  If it requires a device or pseudo device driver that would be the most likely problem area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom