Windows 10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom said:
I'm concerned about programs that will run on W7 but not on W10. Is there an easy solution to this?
8Muddypaws said:
If a program ran in 7 there's a pretty good chance (like 100%) that it will run in 10.  If it requires a device or pseudo device driver that would be the most likely problem area.
Also, Windows 10 has a "troubleshoot compatibility" function which will check an app to see if it needs some "adjustment" in how it is run.  It's not 100%, but it can salvage a lot of old apps.

Thanks both. It's the last one or two apps that concern me.

If I don't like Windows 10, Can I get Windows 7 back again easily? Or am I stuck with it.

JackL said:
If I don't like Windows 10, Can I get Windows 7 back again easily? Or am I stuck with it.

Anytime in the first 30 days after you do the upgrade, you can roll back to the previous version of Windows.  Of course, a full image backup taken before the upgrade is your best insurance, and could be used anytime, even after the 30 days.

Tom said:
Thanks both. It's the last one or two apps that concern me.

I haven't heard of any programs that ran on Windows 7 that wouldn't run on Windows 10.  The exceptions would be hardware specific programs that don't have updated drivers, as mentioned above.  And Windows 10 does have a compatibility mode that can be applied per program if necessary.  I haven't found any need for it myself.  Do you have any specific programs in mind that might be a problem?

Ned, I am now being threatened by MS that in two weeks we will loose any imported E mail. MS is requiring us to go to a windows form of e mail,(we presently use hotmail and gmail and its imported to outlook express) Our OS is W7 and I really like it, just am sick of Microslop pushing me around.  I'm thinking of switching to LINUX Mint15 Cinnamon for an OS, what are the downsides?>>>Dan

Your Gmail won't be affected at all, but your hotmail account will be switched to the new MS Outlook email that's browser based.  I would strongly recommend you drop Outlook Express as it hasn't been supported for years.  Thunderbird is an excellent email client that will support Gmail and most other email servers.  I'm not sure about Outlook mail, but a search of the Thunderbird site should tell you if does.  I would be surprised if it didn't.

As for switching to Linux, the email changes really aren't sufficient reason, but Thunderbird is available for all distros.  The downsides are learning a new user interface and you won't be able to run any Windows only programs with installing a virtual Windows machine.  If you have no Linux experience the learning curve can be a bit steep.

I have had Outlook.com as my email acct since 2012 and have not had any issues with it at all.  It is much easier to use than GMail.  Filing emails to keep for future reference is simple.  I have another acct that dumps into Outlook as well.

I have refused to up grade to 10 so far.  I have another computer that was new from Staples a year ago that is W7 and it has so far received no notifications from MS about 10, I wonder why?

I don't know how much help this will be but it might be worth a try.
"What's a metered connection?

A metered connection is an Internet connection that has a data limit associated with it. Cellular data connections are set as metered by default. Wi-Fi network connections can be set to metered, but aren't by default. Some apps and features in Windows will behave differently on a metered connection to help reduce your data usage.
  • To set a Wi-Fi network connection as metered:Select Start > Settings > Network & Internet.
  • Select Wi-Fi > Advanced options > Set as metered connection.
Help from Microsoft"

ON EDIT: Here is some info from PC World on why this may help. HERE

I am less than thrilled with 10. It took 4 days to download, it would only continue while the computer was in use. I finally got it to work but the process was a bit painful, I am not a computer expert. It is working now but I am still looking for 'stuff', I had to search to find disc cleanup and my settings. IMHO, it might be good for Microsoft employee job security but I really don't see any advantage for the end user.

Disk cleanup.  From a file explorer right click on the disk and select tools.  Same as with W7, 8, 8.1.  There's other ways but this is the simplest.

8Muddypaws said:
Disk cleanup.  From a file explorer right click on the disk and select tools.  Same as with W7, 8, 8.1.  There's other ways but this is the simplest.
I thought this was a neat trick but I can't find "tools" or "defrag" with a right click of the mouse on the drive [C:]

Open My Computer, right click on Drive C:, properties, then the tools tab.

My computer was on when I walked away and when I returned Windows 10 was doing a major upgrade. Now I can't find my calendar, it was in Outlook 7. Any ideas??

I believe there is also a Calendar app on the start page.. But I'm not sure it shares the Outlook Calendar files and just now this turkey won't go to start.. Ok Rebooted and returned.. It may have been on the START page but if so I deleted it.

It is however under ALL APPS.. Go to start page (If like me you boot to desktop press the WINDOW key on the left near the ALT and CTRL)

There are 3 lines at the top left, and bottom left.. the bottom one shouhld bring up a list of apps.. One entry is ALL APPS.

Scroll down to the Cs and it should be there.  You may right click and pin it to various places.  And it does log into your Microsoft account.
Windows 10 is all about burning bandwidth so it logs into your Microsoft accoutn.

I upgraded to Windows 10 several months ago, when it was first rolled out.  It has since had several upgrades, but last night it went through an upgrade which took over 2 hrs.  It was like the original upgrade to Windows 10 in duration.  Everything, including my startup, favorites bar, search engine preference, all my favorites, photos, passwords, etc. were saved.  But it got me thinking, although I backup my computer, I don't think any of my favorites are backed up anywhere.  Is it possible to back up or save favorites onto a thumb drive, and if so HOW?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom