Hemi owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trz

I own a 2005 Ram quad cab 4x4 with hemi and it has the 3.92 rear axle ratio. I pull a '97' 26' Innsbruck that wiegjs I think around 5500#.
  I pull the tt mostly locally around Michigan.

I'm thinking of buying a 2009-2012 model Ram w/hemi.

My question is, should I be concerned about possibly having to go to the 3.55 rear axle?  Will I notice a difference?  Should I try really hard to find one with the 3.92?

I don't own one (yet) but have been researching them. I do not think you would need the 3.92. It will just reduce your gas mileage when you are not towing.

The newer modle has more gears in the transmission to keep you in the power band. Even with the lower ratio rear end

I have a 2012 Ram 1500, quad cab, Hemi, 2wd with a 3.92 gear and tow a trailer weighing 7800 pounds loaded and am very happy with it.  My tow rating is 10,200 pounds.

Per the Trailer life Tow rating guide the 2012 Ram 1500, Quad cab, Hemi, "4wd" 3.92 has a tow rating of 10,050 pounds.
The same truck with a 3.55 gear tow rating is 8,550 pounds.  Don't assume other year models or other configurations have the same tow rating.  Get the truck stats and year and look up the tow rating.

If you understand that the tow rating includes you and fuel only and adding passengers or anything else in the truck reduces the tow rating pound for pound and that you do not know what the trailer weighs unless you weigh it...and you load both the truck and trailer accordingly...you should be fine.  But to answer your question... Yes, even though the newer Hemi has more horsepower and torque I do think you will notice a difference.  I would prefer the 3.92 gear but again, it sounds like if you load correctly and leave some margin between the tow rating and actual weight towed you will be fine. 

Back
Top Bottom