EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Laptop... so... slow  (Read 6547 times)

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
Laptop... so... slow
« on: November 27, 2015, 09:35:00 PM »
In recent months my laptop has really begun lagging and running pretty slowly at times.  From loading internet content, to opening programs, to startup and shutdown of Windows 7, etc.  I have run virus scans, checked ongoing processes to make sure there is no unexpected bloatware, and defragmented disks, which is about everything I can think of to "clean up" the background. 

I don't run anything super-high demand, such as advanced photo or video processing.  If I have Itunes or Windows Movie Maker working, I can't do much else on the system without serious lagging.  My thought is that today's applications and content requires more resources than it did 7 years ago.

This is a ~7 year old HP Pavilion machine with an AMD Phenom II N850 Triple-Core Processor (2.2 Ghz) and 4gb of RAM.  I believe the RAM can be upgraded to 8gb, and I saw that the processor is easily accessed too and I could probably drop a replacement in there.  Of course that doesn't change the motherboard bus or hard drive accessibility speed.  The battery doesn't hold a charge like it used to either.

I guess my main question is whether I should put some money into this laptop to help it keep up, or consider replacing it instead.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
Re: Laptop... so... slow
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 09:43:35 PM »
Not all viruses can be detected by anti-virus programs. You might want to try a different anti-virus program.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

herekittykitty

• ---
  • Birch Bay, WA
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 10:03:47 PM »
The admiral is right. Couldn't hurt. Make sure it also checks for malware and rootkits. However...

This is one thing I've never truly been able to solve to my own satisfaction, and FWIW, a 7 year old laptop is considered ancient. It's 80 in human years.  :D

My oldest laptop has been relegated to "entertainment computer" status (haven't had an actual TV for years), so I don't ask much of it. All it has to do is stream stuff, which it does fine, but it takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to open up a simple Chrome window. I deleted all the applications I no longer use on it, and all the Chrome extensions, and "upgraded" from 7 to 10, wondering whether that might help, but it makes no difference.

If you don't want to buy a new one right now, even a cheap one (stay away from the HP cheap ones - they run really hot and IME stuff often needs replacing that shouldn't on a new machine), you can always take the plunge and just back up your data to an external drive, and reset it back to its factory settings. That's a breeze for anything that came with Win 8 or 10, but can sometimes be difficult with Win 7 computers, as I found out with mine. If you happen to have the OS on a disc, though, you should be fine.

Look at it this way: If you can't solve this problem and it bothers you enough, you'll likely be buying a new computer, meaning you'll have to back up or move your data and reload all the programs you use anyway. Might as well see what happens with your current one when you try that first.

P.S. Have you kept up with all the OS updates? That's something else you can check.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 10:07:06 PM by herekittykitty »
Karen and Teddy-the-Kitty
Mostly stationary for now in a 32' Class C (2013 Winnebago Access Premier)

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 11:20:02 PM »
If I had a dime for every time someone has said the same thing!  90% of the time the problems turns out to be toolbars.  Here's a good rule of thumb.  Toolbars are not your friend. They're usually sneak ware - bundled in with something else, like a Java, flash, or Adobe update. 

Go,to settings - add remove programs and click on sort by install date and look at whatever was installed most recently.

I use Spybot Search & Destroy (free) from www.majorgeeks.com fairly often.  Majorgeeks has several free stand alone virus removal programs as well.
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 04:23:41 AM »
X2 on Spybot. A simple program to get rid of day to day stuff is Ccleaner. Doesn't do anything for viruses,  but does get rid of history,  cookies,  and temp files etc very well.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

herekittykitty

• ---
  • Birch Bay, WA
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 04:35:07 AM »
I haven't found that CC Cleaner speeds things up, but that's not knocking it.

Toolbars and other PUPs (potentially unwanted programs) can certainly muck up one's system, true. When I get a new computer, the very first thing I do is install Chrome, and the second thing is to download and install a free program called Unckecky.

It's stopped me from unintentionally accepting all the crapware that can come along for the ride with some applications. As careful and wary as I normally am, sometimes I move too fast, or don't look closely enough. I'm really glad to have it.

Thanks for the link to MajorGeeks, 8Muddypaws. Have heard of them but not spent any time there, and the home page has links to a few things I'd never heard of. Just what I needed... more stuff...  :D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 04:39:30 AM by herekittykitty »

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 06:38:15 AM »
There are basically 4 things that I can think of that S*L*O*W*! down a computer

Windows is damaged software,, So to fix the damage MIcrosoft sends you patch after patch after patch after patch (this goes on till end of life)  Well imagine how fast you could run with 20 or 40 or 100 layers of bandages on you legs.. Computer has same problem.

Second is malware infections.. Alas no single anti-malware product snaggs 'em all though a few come close Malware Bytes is what Staples uses to disinfect computers.

Next is hardware issues.. For example a bad RAM chip limiting your memory to half what it was last week.

Finally we have disc drive failure.

WIndows 7 can, as I recall, be upgraded to Windows 10.. This should "reset" the bandage level.. but I'd not guarantee anything.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 07:30:34 AM »
If you haven't emptied your temp folders for awhile those fill up with junk files and can slow down many program operations.  Run the Disk Cleaner program in Windows first to see if that helps.  You'll also get back a lot of disk space as a bonus.

Also, open the Task Manager and click on the CPU heading.  See if there's one or more processes that are using a high percentage of the CPU time.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 09:22:35 AM »
The brute force solution is to re-install a fresh copy of Windows. There are often a combination of things slowing it down, everything from excessive software add-ons to browser (e.g. tool bars), automatic checks for updates by a zillion apps, cluttered up Registry (compacting it may help), too many programs auto-starting (memory hogs), cluttered disk, etc.  These can all be addressed individually, but the clean install method is the most straight-forward method for many people. It's a lot of work, but so is finding and fixing all the molasses in Window's gear box.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 09:53:45 AM »
I know this computer is "ancient" but it really does everything I want it to... it's just slowing down doing the same things as always. 

I usually run dual malware checks with AdAware and MalwareBytes, but I'll try the other programs mentioned too.  Nothing sticks out on processes and CPU usage, I keep a pretty close eye on that.  I also install the recommended Windows updates regularly.  I upgraded to W10 at one point and lost of bunch of the HP-specific drivers that ran things like touchpad functions and sound.  HP quit supporting this model with updated drivers due to its age, so I downgraded back to W7. 

I'd gladly do a clean install if I could, but I don't have any original media.  I've never quite figured out how to do it right otherwise.  I don't use toolbars (for the reasons mentioned) and delete unwanted programs regularly too.

I'll keep chipping away at things here!

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 09:58:42 AM »
I think you are on the bubble Scott. I agree with Gary, a new install of Windows is probably your best solution. And Windows 10 would be even better.  But sometimes it's like putting new shiny chrome wheels on that old truck you have had forever.  It looks great, but when you take it out for a spin the trans falls out.  It may be time to bite the bullet and reduce your stress level and just get a new machine.  I bailed on HP years ago after 3 HP machines failed on me in row, all with different hardware problems.  My current Acer is running pretty well, and the Win 10 upgrade is working well too.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Wigpro

• ---
    • Capt Jim Lucas
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 10:05:56 AM »
Pull up task manager - CTL - ALT - DEL - then look at what is running (processes) and see if you can identify what is operating without any programs running - just windows. I found my old Norton anti-virus was a HOG - switched to ESET and problem went away.

Good Luck,

Jim
Full time traveler, fishing guide and photographer!

Travel Blog: http://captjimtravelblog.blogspot.com

Photo Site: http://captjim.smugmug.com/

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 12:02:45 PM »
If I had a dime for every time someone has said the same thing!  90% of the time the problems turns out to be toolbars.  Here's a good rule of thumb.  Toolbars are not your friend. They're usually sneak ware - bundled in with something else, like a Java, flash, or Adobe update. 

Go,to settings - add remove programs and click on sort by install date and look at whatever was installed most recently.

I use Spybot Search & Destroy (free) from www.majorgeeks.com fairly often.  Majorgeeks has several free stand alone virus removal programs as well.

Are you familiar with Apple and if so, is there a way to address the issue.  That said, I'm not sure my new iMac (April 2015) is slow because of our Internet connection (Time Warner with downloads of more than 200 mps), or because there are more commercial messages these days than actual info. 

Thanks for your thoughts.
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

herekittykitty

• ---
  • Birch Bay, WA
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 08:39:17 PM »
I bailed on HP years ago after 3 HP machines failed on me in row, all with different hardware problems.  My current Acer is running pretty well, and the Win 10 upgrade is working well too.
I can second the Acer endorsement (since I already added my 2 cents about not getting an HP). Have 2 of them.

Stay away from Asus. They have a nasty attitude about known component failures. I dispatched my Asus laptop with a baseball bat. Felt great.

Since you'd have to pay for a copy of Win 7, you might as well pull the trigger and say sayonara to this laptop.

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 08:53:33 PM »
I have owned an Asus 17 inch Windows laptop for three and a half years. Cost me $450 and has been upgraded to W10. Best laptop I have ever owned. Never had a bit of trouble with it. Usually I wear out a keyboard in a year, this one is still working perfectly. My Chromebook is a 13.3 inch Asus that I have had for a year and it too is working perfectly it's entire life. The screens on both of them are flawless. No dead pixels, no hot pixels, gorgeous color rendition.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 09:01:43 PM »
Since you'd have to pay for a copy of Win 7, you might as well pull the trigger and say sayonara to this laptop.

As long as you have a valid product key (which is issued to the laptop), you can download Windows 7 for free from Microsoft.
I don't have gray hair. I have wisdom highlights.

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 09:21:00 PM »
I have the product key and will look into the fresh download.  That would be my preference anyway.

docj

• ---
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2015, 09:35:44 PM »
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is checking to see what apps/programs are being loaded at startup.  Over the years as you install various programs many of them want to have a presence in memory at bootup even though they really aren't needed until you want to run that particular program.  Example of this are Adobe programs which always have multiple startup apps in memory. 

Depending on what version of Windows the OP is using, the process for viewing startup apps is different.  I believe that for Windows 7 and previous versions the list of startup apps was accessible by running MSCONFIG from a Command Prompt.  For Window 8 and 10 the startup list is one of the screens of Task Manager.

I go through my startup lists periodically and I don't hesitate to disable most of the apps I find.  You'll be surprised how many you probably have running and what an improvement you will get by disabling them.  For computers with limited RAM (the OP said his had 4GB) this can be very important.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2015, 06:01:16 AM »
So let's say I might be interested in replacing this machine... after all, Cyber Monday is coming up quite soon.  ;)  If I can find a good enough deal, I'll probably go for it since I'm sure I'll need to replace this HP sometime in the next year.

What should I be looking for in terms of laptop processor/RAM standards and other features these days?  I follow tech news a bit, but I admittedly don't keep up on ever-changing computer peripherals nearly as much as I used to, as long as my machine is working fine.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 06:05:56 AM by scottydl »

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2015, 06:05:16 AM »
The processor/RAM is pretty meaningless to me. The biggest slowdown is Windows and your Internet connection. Compare the speed of downloading something on the machines you are interested in. There doesn't appear to be any correlation between processor size and download speed on the ones I have tested. I always shop by price and screen size. I get the cheapest laptop in the size I want. They are so cheap today that it is easier to discard it once a year.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2015, 06:06:15 AM »
About my only request there is a 17" screen.  Our "home" laptop doesn't travel a lot so weight/size is not an issue.  I buy a lot of stuff from Woot.com and here is one page of some of their 17" laptop deals (lots of HP's, a few Acers, a few Dell's).  Brand name does not mean as much to me as the innards.

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2015, 06:30:29 AM »
Wow, they have a 17 inch Acer for $259. Can't beat that with a stick.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2015, 06:52:45 AM »
I saw that too, stats are no better than what I have now though... 500gb HD and 4GB RAM, Windows 8.1 preloaded although I guess W10 upgrade would be free.  It's a quad-core processor instead of my current triple-core, but I don't know if that would make a noticeable difference.  For a "new" computer and several hundred dollars out of pocket, I would at least like some performance upgrades.

The only other issue I have with their "Reconditioned" laptops is that the Microsoft product key stickers are usually ripped off (or at least it was that way in the past), so I can never legitimately reload the OS.  I had that problem on another refurb laptop that I bought from Woot.

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2015, 07:28:48 AM »
No matter which one you buy the only performance upgrade will come with the fact you have a fresh install of Windows. A bigger hard drive, more memory and more cores won't really do anything for you.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

Gord N.

• ---
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2015, 10:58:37 AM »
I have the product key and will look into the fresh download.  That would be my preference anyway.

Just a word of caution here.  What you are looking for is NOT the Product key, but the Activation Code...which is the 5x5 (25 digit number) on the sticker at the rear of your HP Laptop.  There is a big difference.
Personally, for what you are looking at (unless you pick that HP 17.3" screen,  I7-5500M processor, nVidia Graphics chip and 1 Terrabyte SATA HD,) you would be just as well off to just load a fresh install of Windows 7. As stated, you can likely just download it for free or just ask a friend who might have a disk copy of Windows 7.  You can install from any Windows 7 Disk and when it asks for the Activation Code, you insert the one you have from your Laptop.
I just did this last week on a client's HP Laptop.  All went well.  As for Drivers, you may not find them on the HP site but there are third party sites which will have them, such as www.drivers.com or www.driverdownload.net.  They aren't always free, but you can usually find some of the sites which will provide them free.  You can also order a Drivers Support Disk from HP at a reasonable price. As well, when checking the HP Site, look carefully for a link named "Archives" and/or "Discontinued Models".

Gord

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2015, 12:04:38 PM »
Just a word of caution here.  What you are looking for is NOT the Product key, but the Activation Code...which is the 5x5 (25 digit number) on the sticker at the rear of your HP Laptop.  There is a big difference.

Someone better tell Microsoft...
I don't have gray hair. I have wisdom highlights.

Gord N.

• ---
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2015, 12:45:59 PM »
Yes, of course you are right. 

I was referring to the other code (the Product ID:) which is a 20 digit number in the format XXXXX-XXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXX , as the Product Key rather than its correct name.

My Bad! :-[

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2015, 01:12:24 PM »
Over the last couple of years we've replaced both our old laptops with MSI GT-70 laptops.  They have 17 inch screens which also was a major criterion for us.  We got mine first and it has a glare-proof screen which is good because there are windows behind me at home.  Jerry got his later and it does not have the same glare-proof screen.  Otherwise they're the same and both have Windows 7.  I tried an ACER and returned it.  Jerry tried an HP and returned it.  Then he tried a Dell and also returned it because of the "dreaded blue screen" problem.  The Dell model has not been on the market since then.  Anyway, he ended up with the same MSI as me and we've both been very happy with them.  The MSI is billed as a gaming computer but we don't use it for that purpose.  I would recommend the MSI.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2015, 01:43:42 PM »
Personally, for what you are looking at (unless you pick that HP 17.3" screen,  I7-5500M processor, nVidia Graphics chip and 1 Terrabyte SATA HD,) you would be just as well off to just load a fresh install of Windows 7. As stated, you can likely just download it for free or just ask a friend who might have a disk copy of Windows 7.  You can install from any Windows 7 Disk and when it asks for the Activation Code, you insert the one you have from your Laptop.

There are a few other age issues with this HP that are pointing me toward replacement.  Only 1 out of 3 USB ports work anymore (I've tried Device Manager driver reinstallations to no avail), HP does not offer drivers/support any more for my model because of its age, several keyboard keys are faded off, battery does not hold a charge well anymore, and hard drive makes an unknown random click/beep noise every so often that makes me fear it is near failure.

The cheapest MSI laptop with a 17" screen is over $1000 at Walmart, so I'm afraid that brand will not be an option.  It's tough for me to spend anything in that range when $250-350 laptops in the same size are readily available.  I realize there are component differences and the MSI is no doubt superior there, but not worth 3x-4x the price for my needs.  Kinda like a new $200,000 DP versus a used $20,000 gasser.  ;)

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2015, 01:59:17 PM »
The cheapest MSI laptop with a 17" screen is over $1000 at Walmart, so I'm afraid that brand will not be an option.  It's tough for me to spend anything in that range when $250-350 laptops in the same size are readily available.  I realize there are component differences and the MSI is no doubt superior there, but not worth 3x-4x the price for my needs.  Kinda like a new $200,000 DP versus a used $20,000 gasser.  ;)
I had not ever heard of MSI so I looked them up and their prices are as obscene as Apple. But if that is what you like and you can afford it then go for it. I always shop just by looking at price. Give me the cheapest laptop every time.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

racer4

• ---
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2015, 10:39:41 PM »
x2 on using CCleaner. I had one computer that slowed down to a snail's pace. CCleaner got it back to normal.
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD CC LB Duramax
1998 SunnyBrook 30DB

gwcowgill

• ---
  • Retired USAF, Retired Auto Instructor Dade Cty Sch
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2015, 05:08:30 AM »
Glary utilities is a free program you can download which goes through and cleans the registry and also has other features you can use to take care of housekeeping. Yes thyey try to sell you a paid version but the free version does a great job.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2015, 07:08:33 AM »
Ccleaner is the same way, they have a free version and a paid version.  It also fixes registry issues.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2015, 07:36:29 AM »
I have an HP next to this Toshiba and just bought a 2nd HP for a friend who needs a lighter computer than her vintage Dell.

Since Carley left and everyone sang Ding Dong the Witch is Dead, their products are improving a bit.. But still have a way to go. and of course customer service and warranty could be better.   (Meaning THEY broke it and I still had to pay shipping).

Oh, ACER.. That was the back up plan if the store was out of the HP... Turns out they had one HP left.   Very attractive price for a Quad Core, 4 Gig RAM 500 Gig HD box.

Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2015, 06:45:25 PM »
If your hard drive is making weird clicks then it very likely to be the problem.  When was the last time you did a full surface scan of the drive?  Right click on my computer, then right click on that drive, left click on tools and finally on check drive for errors.  If you have the option to do a surface scanSince this is your OS drive the scan will run the next time you boot it.

If your USB ports are dead that could be part of the problem as well.  If you know your way around device manager try disabling them.  HP probably didn't make the USB chips.  If you can identify who did (Intel for instance) they will probably have drivers.  You may need to re-install the entire processor and chipset driver package or packages.

This app might help : http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/driver_booster_3.html

Apple sends out patches just like Microsoft does, so does everybody else.  Sometimes they are security patches and sometimes they are new features - those tend to be the bigger ones.  if you install a fresh copy of Windows the first thing it will do is start installing patches.  Sometimes lots of them.  I've done re-installs and then spent several hours installing updates. 
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2015, 01:05:02 PM »
A couple of yeas ago I gave my father an inexpensive ($259) 14" Toshiba laptop to check email and Skype our family. He only got to use it for a couple of months so we gave it to Sue's sister who also only used it briefly.

I brought it back to experiment with Win8 and added a couple of GB of RAM. It easily upgraded to Win10 and I find it my machine of choice for doing computing that I don't do on my IPAD. The 17" Toshiba I used is just to big and hot to be comfortable on my lap. I also like my Aspire Switch but the screen is a bit small for my eyes. It is primarily my VMSPC engine monitor for the m/h.

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2016, 11:11:29 AM »
Thread revival... some deep cleaning as suggested above made a pretty big difference in my current laptop (thanks to everyone), but I'm still planning on replacing it.  It's 7-8 years old and the hard drive is due for sudden failure anytime now!  Nothing really jumped out at me in terms of laptop price/availability during the pre- or post-Christmas season sales, so I'm still looking around.

As far as laptop processors go... can anyone comments on the significant differences (if any) between the AMD A4, A6, A8 lines when compared to the Intel i3, i5, i7, etc?  I figure they should be mostly comparable but there are often $20-40-60 between different levels and I don't know what's worth the extra money.  Pretty much everything new/refurbished now is a quad core, with clock speeds are all over the map from 1.6ghz to 2.4ghz.  Sometimes the faster speeds are on cheaper machines, which doesn't quick make sense to me.

I've Googled these processor topics but often prefer the real life experiences of others... and not just CPU bench tests, which is mostly what I run across online.

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2016, 11:18:14 AM »
I feel cpu performance is a worthless topic. What really slows down your computer is the brick you put around it's neck called Windows. And the really big brick is the speed of the Internet. If you are going to run Linux and have a 300 meg Internet connection then the cpu speed might mean something. But for most of us cpu speed is not even worth discussing. In my opinion you should just get a Chromebook.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

blw2

• ---
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2016, 12:24:42 PM »
I second the suggestion of a chromebook.

I know this is an older thread, but for someone else's reference....
I have a toshiba chromebook2, bought Christmas time a year ago.  It's still working great
My macmini that's about 5 years old or so, and our macbook pro, a little younger, and the Lenovo PC that was 2 years old at Christmas are all dogs.  Slower than molasses compared to my chromebook.

And great battery life too.

My only suggestion is to buy the versions with higher ram capacity.  I bought the cheaper of the two versions available at the time from toshiba.  Mine tends to slow down if I have maybe a dozen or more tabs open.
Since between my wife, kids, and wife's business we've bought 3 additional chromebooks, all different models from asus.... and hey are all good too.
Oh, and I have my dad running a chromebase for about a year now.  Works great for him too.

Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2016, 12:51:35 PM »
How does a Chromebook work differently than a standard PC, and what are the advantages?

EDIT:  I think I answered some of my own questions... Chromebooks are basically internet machines with very limited on-board components.  No hard drive it appears, or not enough for storage of anything substantial?  So far I've resisted relying on cloud-based storage, if for no other reason that I don't want to pay monthly fees for the rest of my life.  I also have some work applications that require Microsoft Word and Excel.  It looks like Google Docs has similar programs (akin to the OpenOffice suite I would assume) but they aren't always the exact same when it comes to function.  I like to rip CD's and have access to my mp3 collection at home anytime.

Keep the conversation going, as I'm interested to hear what your daily life experiences are with Chromebooks.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 01:07:15 PM by scottydl »

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2016, 01:32:37 PM »
How does a Chromebook work differently than a standard PC, and what are the advantages?

EDIT:  I think I answered some of my own questions... Chromebooks are basically internet machines with very limited on-board components.  No hard drive it appears, or not enough for storage of anything substantial?  So far I've resisted relying on cloud-based storage, if for no other reason that I don't want to pay monthly fees for the rest of my life.  I also have some work applications that require Microsoft Word and Excel.  It looks like Google Docs has similar programs (akin to the OpenOffice suite I would assume) but they aren't always the exact same when it comes to function.  I like to rip CD's and have access to my mp3 collection at home anytime.

Keep the conversation going, as I'm interested to hear what your daily life experiences are with Chromebooks.
I am on my third Chromebook in four years. The Chromebook is not my only computer. I also have a 17 inch Acer laptop mainly to do photo editing on. I like using a big screen for photo editing and Chromebook won't run Lightroom, my photo editor. Each time I upgraded I was able to sell my old Chromebook for about the cost of the new one. My current one costs $169. I only have 16 gigs of onboard storage, more than enough because I keep everything in the Cloud. Cloud storage is cheap especially since I don't have the expense of expensive laptops. It has two gigs of RAM and I have never had a slowdown since I rarely have more that five tabs open at once. I really love the fact it boots almost instantaneously. It gets automatically updated maybe once a month and performance keeps on improving, instead of rapidly going downhill like it does with Windows machine. It is impossible to get a virus since it cannot run programs and Google warns you before going to a site that gives you malware, so anit-virus and anit-malware programs are not necessary. No defragging, no backing up, no installing programs. They eliminated everything that is ugly about using a normal computer. And there are many things you can do with it when you are not online, but since mine never leaves the house it is always online. I plug mine in at bedtime and the next day it runs all day without a recharge. It goes about 12 hours on a battery charge. It weights almost nothing and doesn't get hot. Never seen a blue screen of death. It does have a hard drive, an SSD actually but it really isn't needed for much. Once a month when I edit my photos and pull out my Windows machine it is like going back to the 20th century. I have it upgraded to W10 but it is still a drag. Chromebooks are dirt cheap. Here is the current best seller, $172 for a 14 inch with a quad core.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VPJY8T4?keywords=chromebook&qid=1453318193&ref_=sr_1_15&refinements=p_n_feature_eighteen_browse-bin%3A8626222011&s=pc&sr=1-15

Give it a try and you will be surprised.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 01:36:15 PM by SeilerBird »
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2016, 02:08:46 PM »
I just found out my Chromebook is about to receive a 25% increase in speed at no cost to me.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/20/10797268/googles-new-algorithm-chrome-run-faster?1453311003892=1
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2016, 03:26:52 PM »
Cloud storage may be OK if you're tethered in one spot with an unlimited landline connection to the Web, but it's murder anytime you're mobile and relying on a pay-by-the-byte Internet plan.

Everything you do relies on data being uploaded or downloaded to the cloud server.  If you're camped in an area without Internet connectivity the Chromebook is a brick.

Everywhere else, you're subtracting from your monthly data allowance.

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2016, 04:16:59 PM »
I was wondering about full time RV'ers who might have limited internet connectivity, re: Chromebook practicality.  That is not me, and the laptop I want to buy would be our primary home computer.  Can Chromebooks be set up to wirelessly network with Windows to transfer data from one laptop to the other?  I do like that functionality among my current Windows machines.  Or does it require transfer by flash drive or some other USB physical media?

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2016, 04:33:53 PM »
Cloud storage may be OK if you're tethered in one spot with an unlimited landline connection to the Web, but it's murder anytime you're mobile and relying on a pay-by-the-byte Internet plan.
Not true. You don't do any program downloading with a Chromebook and if you are on a pay by the byte plan you aren't going to be downloading movies or songs no matter what computer you are using..
Everything you do relies on data being uploaded or downloaded to the cloud server.
Not true. When I was on a pay by the byte plan I rarely went over 3 gigs per month. Most people just don't do that much uploading to the Internet. If they do then they need a land line.
If you're camped in an area without Internet connectivity the Chromebook is a brick.
Nope.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2453999/chromebooks-beyond-the-cloud-everything-chromebooks-can-do-offline.html
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2016, 04:38:52 PM »
I was wondering about full time RV'ers who might have limited internet connectivity, re: Chromebook practicality.
If you have limited Internet connectivity then what are you going to be doing that requires the Internet and massive data transfer?
  That is not me, and the laptop I want to buy would be our primary home computer.  Can Chromebooks be set up to wirelessly network with Windows to transfer data from one laptop to the other?  I do like that functionality among my current Windows machines.  Or does it require transfer by flash drive or some other USB physical media?
I don't do a lot of transfering data from my laptop to my Chromebook. But it is possible:

http://browsernative.com/transfer-files-chromebook-windows-android-ios-509/
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2016, 05:55:12 PM »
Call me old fashioned (and I'm still a couple years shy of 40) but I'm still a fan of physical media.  On our "home" laptop, we like to browse old family photos on the computer, etc. and I like to pull up tunes from my many mp3 album folders.  Sounds like the Chromebook would not have this ability, unless I have cloud subscription (not really interested) or I am pulling out my backup hard drive to connect. 

The above scenarios seem cumbersome... but at the same time, is it too redundant (and costly) to buy a PC laptop with another internal hard drive (not really needed since I have a 2TB external) just for the convenience of quick file access?  Hmm, not sure I know the answer to that quite yet.

Side note: for anyone who relies mostly on cloud storage, in an unplanned power/internet outage you'd just simply have no access to your files.  Right? ???
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 05:57:17 PM by scottydl »

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2016, 05:57:22 PM »
Or junk Windows and install Linux on your present laptop.

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2016, 06:08:14 PM »
Call me old fashioned (and I'm still a couple years shy of 40) but I'm still a fan of physical media.  On our "home" laptop, we like to browse old family photos on the computer, etc. and I like to pull up tunes from my many mp3 album folders.  Sounds like the Chromebook would not have this ability, unless I have cloud subscription (not really interested) or I am pulling out my backup hard drive to connect. 

The above scenarios seem cumbersome... but at the same time, is it too redundant (and costly) to buy a PC laptop with another internal hard drive (not really needed since I have a 2TB external) just for the convenience of quick file access?  Hmm, not sure I know the answer to that quite yet.

Side note: for anyone who relies mostly on cloud storage, in an unplanned power/internet outage you'd just simply have no access to your files.  Right? ???
I have about 3000 photos stored on Picasa that I can view anytime I want either on my laptop, my Chromebook or my phone. I also have 3000 mp3s on Google Drive. Google Drive gives you 15 gigs of free storage and in the last 15 years I have not paid a dime to store my photos or my mp3s. I also use Google Docs and have all my docs stored on Google Drive at no cost to me. I also have all of that located on my Windows laptop hard drive and on two 32 gig flash drives, one I keep in the house and one in the car.  The flash drives cost about $8. I also have my mp3 collection on two flash drives, one plugged into my car stereo and one into my home surround system. So I have access to all my files whether I am online or offline no matter where I am. All my videos are kept on YouTube for free and I can access them from anywhere.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2016, 06:25:26 PM »
^^ Very prudent usage a free resources... thanks for breaking it down!

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2016, 06:46:42 PM »
^^ Very prudent usage a free resources... thanks for breaking it down!
I have been obsessive about backing up my hard drive for the last 30 years starting with a tape backup in 1987 of my Windows 2.1 machine. I have been a Googleaholic for the last 15 years.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

oldme

• ---
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2016, 06:59:10 PM »
Get rid of the ads that are killing it.
Free program that works:
http://adwcleaner.en.uptodown.com/

Wigpro

• ---
    • Capt Jim Lucas
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2016, 10:03:58 PM »
I recently reloaded Win7 and it made a huge difference....I was having a problem with certain programs "Not Responding"  new load problem gone....

Good Luck,

Jim
Full time traveler, fishing guide and photographer!

Travel Blog: http://captjimtravelblog.blogspot.com

Photo Site: http://captjim.smugmug.com/

legrandnormand

• ---
  • Retired and enjoying it since 1995
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2016, 07:42:30 AM »
The HD is the main problem to slow down any type of computer; buy yourself a SSD, make a backup of your data and make an image of your HD and install the SSD. You will gain in speed and relialibility.
After doing so, format your old HD and use it as an external HD as a backup.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M8ABFX6?keywords=ssd%20hard%20drive&qid=1454593271&ref_=sr_1_13&s=pc&sr=1-13
Normand
Trois-Rivieres, QC, Canada
2010 Gulfstream Independance, model 8367
2009 Smart Cabriolet

docj

• ---
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2016, 11:01:03 AM »
The HD is the main problem to slow down any type of computer; buy yourself a SSD, make a backup of your data and make an image of your HD and install the SSD. You will gain in speed and relialibility.
After doing so, format your old HD and use it as an external HD as a backup.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M8ABFX6?keywords=ssd%20hard%20drive&qid=1454593271&ref_=sr_1_13&s=pc&sr=1-13

My new Dell is configured with a 128GB SSD on which the operating system and all user programs are installed; there's also a 1TB HDD for data, photos, etc.  That makes for a very fast system which, in this case is aided by a Core i7 processor.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

quadron

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2016, 10:05:47 AM »
This is a good low budget option that comes with a recent processor, 8 gb of ram, and a 120 GB SSD for 515.99.  For anyone looking to buy a new computer, they will be amazed at the performance increase that an SSD makes.

http://www.amazon.com/ThinkPad-E550-i3-4005U-Notebook-Computer/dp/B00SCAZ9DS/ref=sr_1_19?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1454688090&sr=1-19&keywords=laptop+with+ssd&refinements=p_n_feature_eighteen_browse-bin%3A6819965011%7C6819967011%2Cp_n_feature_four_browse-bin%3A2289794011

Hosted by Over The Network