Winnebago Brave 34D Wheel Vibration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4DogsRV

Good morning RVing world!

I have recently replaced all my tires on our Brave (with a Ford Workhorse chassis) in the hope that it would fix the vibration problem we were experiencing once we reached 45 mph. I was under the impression that this vibration is (usually) caused by the wheels being out of balance. To clarify, we purchased our 2002 Brave used and before that it had been sitting, unused, for 2 years. We tried getting the wheels balanced to solve the issue but were told that the tires had flat spots. Now we have new Dunlop SR348 (245/70/19.5) 14 Ply G Class tires but the vibration is still evident between 45 and approx 53 mph. My question is, would it benefit me to have the front rotors turned? I did sense a slight vibration in the steering wheel when l braked while driving home yesterday. This oscillation disappears once I get over 55 mph, which is why it lead me to believe that the rotors may be slightly out of true?

I appreciate any feedback from travelers who have  experienced similar issues.

Mark and Leah (and the 4 dogs)

Just a possibility, has the driveshaft been checked? This can be a vibration source, when a previous unit of mine  had been towed, the FORD shop assembled the rear U joint, which had been disconnected to tow, 180 degrees out from original.

If it is a high frequency vibration, it may be a U-joint or carrier bearing, wheel and tire vibrations are a much lower frequency vibration. Sorta like the difference between a drum roll and a steady beat. Drive shafts spin much faster than wheels do, yet still correlate with road speed vs engine RPM.

Bill

OLDRACER beat me to it, and his observation about 180* out is a good suggestion. if you have any history on repairs look for towing or U-joint carrier bearing work. Drive shafts are balanced as a unit, especially multi piece ones.

Bill

Highly unlikely it's the rotors.  Your complaint is very common with Jeep Wranglers (vibration between ~45-50 MPH) and the problem 99% of the time is something worn with the front suspension - control arm bushings, track bar, ball joints, etc.  Have a truck shop look over your front suspension.

Thanks for the feedback guys. No history of any repairs on the drive-shaft so l will go with John's suggestion and have a truck shop look at the front suspension.

I would look for an out of round tire when it is up to speed. Yes brand new tires can be out of round when up to speed. Went threw heck with my new at the time Jeep Wrangler Till I replaced the Goodyear's with Michelin. Its now 16 years old & no shake at any speed. Art

Art In Mobile said:
I would look for an out of round tire when it is up to speed. Yes brand new tires can be out of round when up to speed. Went threw heck with my new at the time Jeep Wrangler Till I replaced the Goodyear's with Michelin. Its now 16 years old & no shake at any speed. Art

It's a good thought but the OP said it happened with the old tires also.

I once knew of a Ford E350 van w/triton v10, it had a bad vibration from 50-65mph. I believe believe that was due to the drive shaft.

WILDEBILL308 said:
Have someone who knows what they are doing check the driveshaft and carrier bering. I would do this FIRST before doing anything else.
Bill

Good call Bill. I went with that. I got up under there and checked both carrier bearings. There was a lot of play in the back one and an unacceptable amount of play in the front one. I will be replacing both of them and the u-joints after Christmas. I am off up to the Outer Banks on Sunday so it will have to wait. I did have the tires re-balanced. Whoever had done it when we got the new ones put on didn't appear to know what they were doing, all tires but one were way out of balance (one even had a 2oz car weight on it!). Glad I had them checked.

Art In Mobile said:
All tires will flat spot from sitting, Usually goes away after a few miles and tires get warmed up.

Back
Top Bottom