FreedomPop mingle hotspot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JiminDenver

Freedompop is a phone/data service that you can use free month to month with 500 mbs of 4G data. I bought their refurbished Mingle hotspot for $44 with shipping figuring it would be a optional network while camping. They use the Sprint network and the coverage map shows good 4G near larger cities, places like the Q have 3G. They have monthly plans and you can buy extra data at $10 a gig.

I bought it planning on tossing in the trailer for use if we ever needed it to connect. Testing it has shown me how little data we use checking email, cruising the forums and playing pogo. Realizing that and the fact that what we watch comes OTA has us cutting the cord on a $130 a month xfinity bill. (we get 10 gigs each on our phones)

So be it you use very little data or want a extra option for connecting without monthly fees, a Freedompop hotspot might fill the need.

I've read both good and bad reviews on line about Freedom Pop.  One of the most critical reviews dealt with some bait and switch tactics with their phone plans.
I wondered how this would work for the short camping trips we go on, lasting for 4 days to 1 week usually.  Several of the campgrounds either didn't have WiFi, or the WiFi was so slow, and the signal so weak, that it might as well have been non-existent.
I might have to do some more research on this, and possibly give it a try.

The first thing to do is check Sprints 4G and 3G coverage of the area.

https://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?kiosk

4G coverage and you are good to go. 3G and it would cost you $4 to turn on the 3G feature for a month. Turn it off before the end of the month and you are back to the free account.

I know nothing of the phones but can explain anything about the hotspot plans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom