Poor Gas Mileage for Ford E450

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ainodelac

Hello:

I recently purchased a used 2007 Ford E450 shuttle bus that I intend to convert to a limo-style party bus for personal use.  Vehicle has a V-10 gas engine.  On my first gas fill up it appears I am getting around 5-7 mpg.  This seems low as I was expecting around 10.  I have read threads that state these shuttle buses are typically used for short distances and many times have high gear ratios in the rear end.  I have done some research but I can't find anything definitive regarding what the options are available to convert the differential gear ratio.  One post said the options are 4.10:1 to 5.30:1.  Not sure what I have but I will find out and post if necessary.  I am looking for more like 3.55:1 or 3.73:1.  Is this possible for this type of vehicle?

Thanks, Joe

There should be a tag on one of the bolts on the differential housing.

If not:

Jack up a rear wheel. Make a mark on the tire and the ground in line. Make a mark on the driveshaft in line with a mark on the housing. Turn the wheel and count the revolutions on the drive shaft. You have to estimate the part of the last revolution of the shaft, but you can get close.

Those buses are geared for the expected weight they will haul. If you go to a 3.55 rear ratio which I don't think you will find for that housing you will lose a lot of pulling power and may not be able to satisfactory handle the weight you are planning on installing in the bus. That is a heavy duty rear which only offers a limited number of gear ratios.

I would not expect 10 mpg anyway. 7-8 is more likely, depending on the weight of your foot. If you try to make these large vehicles respond like your car or SUV, you will have your foot pressed to the floor every time you accelerate, and the mpg goes straight into the toilet.

1st take the VIN to any Ford dealer and they can tell you what rear end is in that beast 2nd 7-8 is probably correct 3rd if you want to change rear ends its not hard but its not cheap look to one of your local gear shops rather than a  Ford dealer it will be a lot cheaper with a core rebate
Cheers

Thanks for all the feedback.  Based on the cost and potential performance issues, I think I'll leave it as is.  I may reconsider when gas prices go back towards $4 a gallon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom