LED TV powered from a deep cycle battery...is it possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ldeleiss

So I was able to pick up a couple of 24" flat screen LED TVs for a great price.  I noticed they have a plug for the wall similar to that of other electronics and took a good look at it.  Now I am not an electrician so maybe someone else can explain this but it seems like this plug pulls 120v from the wall to deliver 12v to the TV itself and if I am reading it right draws 3 amps to power the TV.  If this is actually the case, can the TV be directly wired to a deep cycle battery and work?  I took a pic of the plug for reference.  Any explanation would be appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• 20151202_220225-1.jpg
    20151202_220225-1.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 91
Be aware that rv's voltages can go as high as 14.8 when charging the batteries and as high as 15.5 when equalizing the batteries depending on what charger you have installed.

Well three answers.

NO:  Unless it says 12V on that inlet (or lists 12 volt as the OUTPUT on the power adapter) the voltage could be something else

Perhaps: Generally it is 12 volt, and can accept anything from 9 (sometimes less) to around 14 w/o problems BUT Motor home/Trailer systems sometimes excceed 14 volts (Boost mode can do that, so cna absorption, and Equalization).

YES: If you are boondocking and not running the generator  12.6 volt will not be a problem.  and in some cases (MY Samsung for example) the inlet is labeled 14 volt and can again likely take as low as 9-10 volts (never tested) up to around 16 or 17 (WHich covers all possible voltages in my RV's system) without damage.

MOST wall-wart/power bricks can be kind of scary if you meter them no load. Like 18 volts ona  12 volt brick.

Thank you for all the helpful info.  I will post up after installing the tv and giving it a try.

Back when you could walk into Radio Shack........
I measured the DC plug and bought an "M" barrel connector at RS. After wiring it to a power plug and verifying the polarity I plugged it into the DC wall outlet and voila! TV w/o campground power. Saves me from running an inverter. The bonus is that our granddaughter can watch DVD's on those cooped-up rainy days.

You can still walk into Radio Shack.. The "M" plug may not be the one you need but if you take the TV they have a plug fitter.

It's just you may have a lot farther to walk.. My "Local" radio shack back when I pulled in to the park before the great closing was 30 miles away.. It still is.. The closed store was closer to 70 miles away, in either of two directions.

That's how lots of small villages in Africa watch TV: some enterprising person hooks up a TV to any old car battery and the village can watch the all-important soccer games!

BTW when we worked in Darfur we always had our printer hooked up to a car battery and it worked fine.

Elly

I'm on my 3rd year of running a 12 volt 22" Vizio TV off of the coach's house batteries. It has seen as much as 15.5 volts DC with out failing.

Richard
95 Bounder

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom