Our Dog took a turn for the worse at 14 years old, English Pointer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVoorhis318

We are spending the winter in Florida from CT and after just two weeks here one of our babies git real sick and unfortunately we had to put her down. This has been one of the saddest things I have ever done and I wonder if others have ever had to do the same? The only good part of this is that we found a 24 hour Emergency Vet Hospital in Port St Lucie and they were wonderful! I hope no one has to go through this but if your in this area and you need a 24 hr emergency vet I would take them here! I can't remember the name but the are on federal road in Port St Lucie and the only 24 hr emergency hospital in town. Not to be confused with the one in Fort Pierce, IMO that place is terrible!! Will grieve for a while this was rough and the first time for me!! I hope your pets are well!!  Rob

Rob VanVoorhis said:
We are spending the winter in Florida from CT and after just two weeks here one of our babies git real sick and unfortunately we had to put her down. This has been one of the saddest things I have ever done and I wonder if others have ever had to do the same? The only good part of this is that we found a 24 hour Emergency Vet Hospital in Port St Lucie and they were wonderful! I hope no one has to go through this but if your in this area and you need a 24 hr emergency vet I would take them here! I can't remember the name but the are on federal road in Port St Lucie and the only 24 hr emergency hospital in town. Not to be confused with the one in Fort Pierce, IMO that place is terrible!! Will grieve for a while this was rough and the first time for me!! I hope your pets are well!!  Rob

Definitely it is one of the saddest things in life to have to endure.  Our last one was like losing a child because that's how we viewed her.  Now we have a 16 year old Shih Tzu that is blind and deaf but otherwise healthy; however, she is forever confused on navigating around the house.  Some days are better than others but we both are dreading her crossing that rainbow bridge soon.
Condolences Rob.  We hope you plan to replace her.

This is the worst part about having pets, they are with us for such a short time. It does hurt, we had to let both toy poodles go just over a month ago due to age and health issues. One had been with my wife over 13 years, longer than I have. We too were fortunate to have a compassionate vet who came to the house but still it was awfully tough to carry through, it was my first time as well. We have since got a Shih Tzu/Maltese cross who has stolen our hearts but we still miss those two and always will.

My deepest sympathy on your loss! I agree, they are with us for much too short a time. We lost our Shepherd/Shar-Pei Ginger last May, the day after Mother's Day, which was also her 16th birthday. I guess we were fortunate in a way, since we didn't have the trauma of having her put down. We knew her time was getting close, but that morning she just didn't wake up. We still wake up at night sometimes and think we hear her moving around in the coach...

Thank you all for your heartwarming stories and well wishes, we extend the same to all of you! It's just nice to hear from others even though this is a terrible thing, it's like being surrounded by friends and indeed you all are! Thanks so Much!!  Rob & Ellen VanVoorhis

Like others this is absolutely the worst thing about having pets but I guess it's the price you pay for so much joy over the years. It would be easier and some can just let the vet do "it" but I cannot let them go through it alone no more than any other family member. Every time I swear it will be the last but really, the only thing that gets us through it is another rescue. We have 3 with us when we travel, wouldn't have it any other way. I never forget the ones that have been with us, I know I will be with them again one day.

My deepest sympathy to you. I know how hard that is. I had to put down my cat this past September. She was 19 years old...and we had her since she was about 2 days old. (per the vet) Bottle fed baby she was...and I was the only "momma" she ever knew.  :'(

My apologies for "necro'ing" this thread. I didn't notice the last post date before I posted. I hope it doesn't bring up too many sad memories for the OP.

When we had to let go of our dog 8/29/2014, I will never forget

Today I will sleep forever.

You might not know me (and now it?s too late anyways.) I?m a dog, a pit-bull mix listening to the name Mona, the people who think to be in charge of me are Klaas and Eileen. I think I have been a good dog all my life. Yes, I bullied every animal on my path just for the heck of it and that was always so exciting LOL. But I have been a very very sweet dog to my owners, family and all other people. People?s ears were my favorite part to lick, they are so juicy and I knew it tickles them so it made all of us happy and full of laughter. I never used my strong pit-bull jaws against them although some people were afraid of me and I have no clue why. Playing with other dogs was not my thing, they never let me boss them around and that what got me so furious and mad, what?s wrong with that?
I only showed my teeth at the vet when they trimmed my nails. I acted out as a Tasmanian devil, crying and barking, sorry about that, I always hated it when they did my nails I?m a pit-bull, not a poodle or a doodle, I?m glad I never hurt someone.

You know something was going on this week, I could have all the treats I wanted without asking, I admit I was asking when I did catch on but just let?s pretend I did not ok? Awesome week it was. They even took me for a ride to the bank. But now I have to say goodbye. I?m ready for the last trip. I?m barely able to go up and down the stairs and I?m sooooo tired whole the time and every day, I just want to sleep forever and ever please?

Did I tell you I love cheeseburgers, I did have them a lot when I was in a foster home. What a surprise I got some again today too, so delicious! See it was a special week and today tops it all, I knew I was special. Thanks for taking good care of me; these were awesome years of fun and happiness. I hope you never forget.

Farewell people, I was a happy rescue dog and loved you all a lot but it?s time for me to go , knowing I will be missed but I?m so happy right now, thanks for giving me peace and let me sleep forever and ever and???.

Attachments

• IMG_0785_fb.jpg
    IMG_0785_fb.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 4
Old thread, I know. Last post was one of the most humbling replies I've ever read. I hate threads such as this. Let me explain...

The DW and I have always had furkids running around the house. Even when we were children. We met in high school, went our own way, met again later, started dating again. I married her (and her Doberman/Rottweiler mix).
Ever since, it's been one adventure after another accepting animals into our home. Everything from Macaw Parrots to abandoned 6 week old puppies. We keep wondering why God keeps sending us rescues with medical problems. The DW stumbles across these poor things usually at pet stores. We discover the medical problems after the fact.
Even our long time vet called us about a month after having to put down a GSD we were working with that had behavior issues. Another rescue that was a stray that came in for a checkup and shots before going to the shelter. Her pic is my avatar. Been here ever since.
Both our cats are rescues. One needing B12 shots every week, the other pulls his fur out due to neglect.

This is not thread drift. My point being that over the years, we've had to learn the hard way what having to let any one of our many pets go is never easy. Regardless of where they came from. Rescues deserve a second chance too. We have had to let them go for different reasons. Both medical/behavioral and just plain old age.  And it doesn't get easier. Tears are shed every time.
I'm not looking for kudos. And sometimes we bitch a bit about what we have to do each day. We also cry when one of them has reached the end of their life. If you love animals and have a better solution, please fill us in.

In closing, I really hope the Rainbow Bridge exist. If so, I hope I'm stampeded when I get there!  :)

Amen to that Mark, I'm looking forward to that bridge being there!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom