Anyone using cingular aircards?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwright

Im thinking about using the cingular aircard with a linksys router designed to have the pcmcia card inserted.  Does anyone have any experience with cingular for internet?

My t-mobile air card roams to Cingular. I've found repeatedly that the speeds are lower on Cingular than on t-mobile's own towers/networks.

Sprint and Verizon currently offer faster air card services and IIRC Sprint throws the card in for free with a 2-year contract.

Yes, I use the Sierra 860 card.  I get between 120-180kbps on Edge service and a blistering 0.8-1.2M on 3g.

Al, see here for information on the Linksys WRT54G3G-ST Wireless-G Router for Mobile Broadband.

Ned said:
Al, see here for information on the Linksys WRT54G3G-ST Wireless-G Router for Mobile Broadband.

Yep, I saw that one, but it's specifically for Sprint and EVDO cards.  There's a UMTS version available in Europe, but that may not work with Cingular cards.  The cards are designed to be serial ports and require the correct ATD command, login, and passwrd information to work.

Al

Al,

A guy camped next to Dave at Las Cruces mentioned he was using a router that accepted an air card. I didn't pay a lot of attention to the brand of router or air card service, but Doc did. Next time you talk to him, ask him for the info.

After several calls (linksys, cingular(3) ) cingular agreed it will work.  linksys says the "Option 3g card" will work (only one that cingular sells that is compatable with this router.  It will be at least a month before I try and set this up.  The advantage to this setup is largest mobile area in the US plus being able to use while in route.

I've got the old Verizon card but don't use the dang slow thing.  Have cable here at PEM Only trouble is when I go to the Q is finding enough cable to attach to the MH as I motor toward tje Q, before I go broke.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom