Thank goodness for muscle memory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

I am in shock. I haven't touched my bass guitar in the last nine months and it has been six months since I played my regular guitar. Feeling depressed about it I pulled out my bass and turned on my playlist of my favorite songs to play bass to. I was able to play Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds about 95% correct. It is a very hard song and I can't believe I could do so well on it. On all the other songs on the playlist I was about 98% since they are much easier. I thought I would have forgotten it all by now. God bless muscle memory.

My muscles have great memory...they just don't have the will to act on the memory!!  They laugh...they laugh I say!

just day before yesterday, I was talking with my son.  He plays trumpet in his elementary school band.  We were talking about practice,. and I told him that if he wants to improve he should play scales and other stuff every day.... suggested he start with a little scale warm up piece he learned last summer.

He told me he doesn't remember how to play that scale.  He was firm taht he couldn't do it.

Then yesterday, I was helping him oil it up for a concert at school.  Asked him to play a little something to make sure everything was right with it.... so he belts out taht little warm up scale tune without even thinking... muscle memory.  Then it dawned on him.... wow what a surprise!  good stuff.

When I switch between one of my re-entrant tuned ukuleles (GCEA) and my baritone ukulele (tuned like the first 4 strings on guitar - DGBE), I'll occasionally find myself playing the "wrong" instrument. If I'm alone and not singing, I catch it on the first chord. But, if I'm singing, I can't always hear the instrument, and a few chords into the song my fingers tell me they're on the wrong strings  ???

blw2 said:
just day before yesterday, I was talking with my son.  He plays trumpet in his elementary school band.  We were talking about practice,. and I told him that if he wants to improve he should play scales and other stuff every day.... suggested he start with a little scale warm up piece he learned last summer.

He told me he doesn't remember how to play that scale.  He was firm taht he couldn't do it.

Then yesterday, I was helping him oil it up for a concert at school.  Asked him to play a little something to make sure everything was right with it.... so he belts out taht little warm up scale tune without even thinking... muscle memory.  Then it dawned on him.... wow what a surprise!  good stuff.
Muscle memory is amazing. I haven't touched a guitar in six months and I haven't played Stairway to Heaven in at least a year. But I bet if I got out my guitar right now I could play the entire 8 minute piece without a problem.

SeilerBird said:
Muscle memory is amazing. I haven't touched a guitar in six months and I haven't played Stairway to Heaven in at least a year. But I bet if I got out my guitar right now I could play the entire 8 minute piece without a problem.

ah, reminded of my old college roommate.... got an electric distortion maker for Christmas one year
Stairway to Heaven over, and over, and over, and over.....ugh :eek:

blw2 said:
ah, reminded of my old college roommate.... got an electric distortion maker for Christmas one year
Stairway to Heaven over, and over, and over, and over.....ugh :eek:
I play it on an acoustic usually without any distortion. And I can only play it about twice in a row before going nuts. But it is so much fun to play. ;D

Back
Top Bottom