Toronto to Myrtle Beach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

watsonshort

I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I am pulling a travel trailer from Toronto to Myrtle Beach between Christmas and New Years. I am very concerned about snow storms and hills or mountains. I am at this this time planning on I75 as it seems the best bet.  I have been told it will add several hundred miles and I am being too cautious..

Any comments or suggestions. from those who know the route would be appreciated.

Thanks you.

I see no reason to go out of your way. Just watch the weather reports and head out when the weather is good. If the weather turns sour just hole up for a day or two. I-79 is the route I would take.

I agree about taking I75 down, yes it is further but I95 goes through the mountains and in winter, I don't advise it.  Just take your time, watch the weather.  I don't know if you're planning on finding RV parks for the night or staying at Walmarts, but sometimes finding an open RV park in the northern regions can be iffy.  Good luck.

ruthandken CDN said:
I agree about taking I75 down, yes it is further but I95 goes through the mountains and in winter, I don't advise it.  Just take your time, watch the weather.

Where does I-95 go thru mountains? 
If it was me, I would work my way down to I-81 from Toronto. Go down I-81 as far as Harrisonburg Va. Then Exit 221 which will be I-64 East over to Richmond.  Just before Richmond, take Exit 175 which will be Rte. 288 south which will take you over to I-95.
My opinion is if you take I-75, at some point you'll have to go east to get over to Myrtle beach and the way I see it, you'll have to cross over a lot of mountains. There are a few hills on I-64 but they should be good I would think.

PS. We stay at a Walmart at Exit 247A in Harrisonburg Va. Very quiet and there are several laces to eat within walking distance.  If all you want is a sub to eat, behind Aroma Buffet & Grill, there is a Firehouse Sub shop.

From Toronto I would enter the US at Peace Bridge in Buffalo and take the I 90 west to Erie PA and then I 79 south to 19 to Beckley West Virginia and then  I 77 . At that point a few choices. Map quest will take you the same way and not sure after I 77 as I continue to Florida . I have travelled through the mountains in snow a couple of times . Winter is winter and snow is snow and those Highways are as good as any you will be on and all heavily travelled at that time of year. If you take this route watch your speed on the I 19 as you will not likely get through there speeding.

Just not sure about the mountains combined with snow.  Only have a pickup truck pulling a 26' travel trailer.  Think maybe only be driving 50 60 mph.  Too slow for interstates?

Back
Top Bottom