EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Seeking some remodeling advice  (Read 1461 times)

adamm3913

Seeking some remodeling advice
« on: December 11, 2015, 12:41:47 AM »
So I picked up this old camper a couple years ago for free.  I believe it is from somewhere around 1980 or so.  It sat for many years and has many problems(broken windows, water damage, busted pipes, busted holding tanks, etc.).  Well, instead of using it one weekend out of the year as a shelter over my head and nothing more, I've decided it's time to do something with this.  I'm wanting to complete remodel this camper from inside out.  I plan on gutting the entire inside and making it into a mobile workshop.  I'm getting rid of all of the appliances, most of the cabinets, all of the furniture, the bathroom, etc.  The bathroom is on the very back of the camper.  I would really like to just cut the entire bathroom off and make it into a porch.  So basically, leave the roof over it.  I want to put some decking down and obviously some posts on the back corners to support the roof.  I picked up a 72"X80" sliding glass door that I would like to install either going to the porch or as my main door on the side of the camper(the old one is being held on by 2 pieces of angle iron after the wind ripped half of the siding and the door almost completely off.  My biggest concern though, being that the camper is as old as it is and has water damage inside the walls...what will happen when I start cutting at the back of the camper?  Any advice when it comes to this?  I'm not looking to put a whole lot of money into this.  Just looking on some suggestions on the simplest way to convert the back 5 feet or so into a porch without causing total destruction.  Another question as well...how does sheetrock hold up in a camper? 

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Seeking some remodeling advice
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 07:57:18 AM »
Sheetrock (drywall) is not a good choice - it tends to crack and the joints flex too, busting them open. And vanilla sheetrock is extremely vulnerable to moisture damage - that's why the make a special grade for bathrooms and kitchens. Look for "greenboard" for a moisture-resistant sheetrock product. It's a different composition and surface covering.  Personally, though, I would use a bathroom-rated wallboard or plain old plywood, e.g. luan. There are inexpensive ones around if you hunt for them.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Wigpro

• ---
    • Capt Jim Lucas
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 05:16:27 PM »
When my friend redid the inside of his he bought large plastic sheets meant for showers and used it like wallboard...he put wooden strips varnished to cover the seams and it came out real nice...

I agree wallboard will just soak up water and fall apart...

Good Luck,

Jim
Full time traveler, fishing guide and photographer!

Travel Blog: http://captjimtravelblog.blogspot.com

Photo Site: http://captjim.smugmug.com/

Sam!

• ---
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 06:31:14 PM »
If it where me i would use corrugated galvanized metal for walls and ceilings, leave existing roof and support the rear corners with galvanized steel pipe, deck flooring just wood planks like flat trailers.
1997 Serro Scotty 25' Diesel Cummins 4x4
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel SRW
2000 Tacoma Dezert trux
San Diegan

87jamboree

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 08:01:05 PM »
When my friend redid the inside of his he bought large plastic sheets meant for showers and used it like wallboard...he put wooden strips varnished to cover the seams and it came out real nice...

I agree wallboard will just soak up water and fall apart...

Good Luck,

Jim
I did the same way and am glad I did it.  Cleans up easy too.

Houston Remodeler

• ---
    • Our website
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 08:29:56 PM »
FRP aka fiberglass reinforced panels are light and waterproof.

There are H shaped strips which get siliconed between sheets to provide some degree of waterproofing
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 4x4 SRW
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells
www.CabotAndRowe.com

Hosted by Over The Network