Jetpack or iPhone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceinFL

I am trying to reduce my Verizon bill. I have a Jetpack which I use on rare occasions when I'm travelling and the wifi stinks. I am thinking about getting rid of the jetpack and using the iPhone as a hotspot instead. Will this work? Is the iPhone a satisfactory hotspot for temporary internet access?

I have AT&T with a Galaxy S6 android phone, so not the same as you, but turning on wifi hotspot works good for me.

Downside is it eats batteries like crazy. For me, phone will be dead in 4-6 hours. If you can leave it plugged in (or have external battery, etc.) then that is not an issue.

Range for me was good, not as good as my home router, but I could get 50' from my truck and my truck's stereo (an Android deck with wifi) and it never dropped signal at all. On bluetooth, it drops just standing at the rear bumper.

After 5 years I just cancelled my Jetpack line. As wifi hot spots have proliferated I found I just wasn't using it. I seldom need to use my phone as a hot spot, but in a pinch it works fine. I'm usually able to keep the phone plugged in, or only need to connect through it for brief periods.
The biggest tradeoff I'm accepting is the inability to call via the iPhone 5S's voice and simultaneously use it as a hotspot, but with Skype and other VOIP solutions that hasn't been a problem. Even if becomes one, there are Verizon phones that do allow simultaneous voice and data.
Our hometown cable company participates in the consortium that provides those "Cable Wifi" hot spots that you see near shopping centers, public buildings, office complexes and restaurants. Those are one of the best ideas to come out of the cable industry. Usually pretty fast, and they claim to be secure.

Most smart phones can serve as a wifi hotspot and they are fine for occasional use.  Best if the phone can remain plugged to its charger while doing so, though.

Not so good if somebody tales the phone away while another person stays behind and wants to use a computer or tablet. Just something to consider.

The Jetpack need not cost much when not in regular use - just the basic $10/month line fee if you have a Verizon "Share" type plan.  Just reduce the amount of data (GB) in your plan when you aren't using data via the Jetpack. No need to pay for a large amount of data if you don't need it. Note that when you do use data via a hotspot, the data cost is the same whether it is via Iphone or Jetpack.

We use my iPad.  High initial cost but there is no extra charge for using it as a hotspot like there is for the iPhones.  Battery life (with the display off) is excellent.  It can go a couple of days in that mode.  An iPad mini with cellular data would probably work too but not quite as long.

I use the iPad for nearly everything, even for typing this!
;)

Thanks for the input. I will cancel my home phone line and also get rid of the Jetpack. That will save me at least $45/mo with the line charges and "taxes". If I neer more data, I'll use the savings to get it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom