Lippert electric step recall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Lippert Components has announce NHTSA recall 15E-078 that affects over 47,000 electric RV steps sold from 2008-2014. The recall is due to a faulty bolt on the fan gear assembly that could cause the gear assembly to disengage from the steps. Lippert no longer manufactures the part, which was last made in December 2014, and a remedy is awaiting validation from NHTSA, according to the document.  The part numbers involved in the recall are: (128980; 164194; 165033; 165034; 165035; 165044; 168367; 171317; 171776; 173476; 234310)

RV Pro news article: http://rv-pro.com/news/lippert-recall-47350-coach-step-electric-entry-steps
Recall info:
http://rv-pro.com/sites/default/files/features/rclrpt-15e078-7615.pdf

I just received my recall letter yesterday. It appears that my steps are involved  in the recall. Interestingly though, the fix is a bracket that would prevent the step from falling. It does not address the fact that a bolt in the assembly my fracture and fail and should be replaced altogether. 

Figures......

The letter also states that Lippert  will, as a "customer appreciation" measure, offer a $200 credit and .5 of labor if an owner wants to have the whole step replaced with a Kwikee brand set of steps (also what Lippert  owns).  I went to the Lippert web store and looked at a price for a new set of double entry steps for my rig.  The price was $670 to $700 for a new set of replacement steps.  Then I checked Amazon. I can get the same steps  from Amazon for $407 on Prime delivery. 

Wow, thanks Lippert!

Hello, I am new to the forum.  I just had the pivot bolt that attaches the two gear mechanisms together snap.  It appears that the top is welded to the housing of the motor.  Does anyone know if this was what was in the recall, if not any ideas on how to remove the top of the bolt and replace with a new one.

Ric

Sounds like what the recall describes. Did you read the recall documentation that is linked in my original message? If so, you know as much as the rest of us...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom