Insulate slideout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat T.

I was wondering if it would be worth insulating the slideout under the bed on the part that goes outside but not the whole compartment.  I put cardboard under the mattress to stop moisture. I was thinking of insulating board and gluing it to the sides of the slide. Will this affect the inside of the storage compartment in cool weather that wouldn't have insulating board on it.

Thanks

Pat

Unless you have a really cheaply made RV it already is insulated.  Adding something extra on the surface only invites moisture buildup that could cause mold or rot issues down the road.

Cardboard to stop moisture? Cardboard is like a sponge! You need plastic sheeting or something like Dupont Tyvek as a vapor (moisture) barrier.

Slide walls and floor have minimal insulation (basically just 3/4" plywood with a watertite skin), but there isn't a lot of sq ft in a bedroom slide floor either. Are we talking maybe 12-18" x 60"?  You could put a layer of bubble-type foil over that section of the slide floor, but it is unlikely you will notice much difference. And that still leaves the walls and roof.  Air leaks at the corners of the seals is probably a much bigger factor.

Didn't think to say what I had. It is a 2016 coachman freedom express  I have used it twice in November in cooler weather and found moisture under the mattress on the area that was on the slideout. I read on the forum where a piece of cardboard under that area would insulate the mattress from the cooler area under the mattress.  That's why is wondering if I put an insulating board in compartment area that slides out if it would create a moisture problem 

Pat T. said:
I have used it twice in November in cooler weather and found moisture under the mattress on the area that was on the slideout. I read on the forum where a piece of cardboard under that area would insulate the mattress from the cooler area under the mattress.

If I read you correct, the mattress actually was wet from moisture. Is that right?  Instead of cardboard, I wonder what a layer of bubble wrap would do between the mattress and the bed foundation where the mattress sets on or maybe a piece of solar blanket used in pools.

We don't have that problem because under the mattress in the slide section is a large void space and that is full of extra blankets and pillows. 

Yes the end of the mattress that is up against the wall and a small area on the bottom of the mattress had moisture.  I had the same problem on my last camper and put cardboard under the mattress and it stop moisture from forming under the mattress.  My thinking on the new camper with insulating board on the part of the slide that extends outside of the camper would be warmer by didn't know if it would create problems in the rest of the storage area under the bed

Pat

That moisture is almost surely interior moisture that is condensing on a cold surface, so insulation may indeed help that. I would try to foil bubble stuff first - it is not expensive and is easy to use.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflectix-16-in-x-25-ft-Double-Reflective-Insulation-with-Staple-Tab-ST16025/100012574
http://www.amazon.com/Reflectix-ST16025-Staple-Insulation-Inch/dp/B000BQSYRO/ref=sr_1_2

Are you saying to use that instead of cardboard? From what Amazon is saying it could be used on the inside of the storage compartment that extends outside of the camper

Pat

I put cardboard under the mattress to stop moisture.

That's a trick we've used on boats. The cardboard helps insulate the underside of the mattress (from the cold surface) and prevent condensation. Since the moisture no longer occurs, there's nothing for the cardboard to absorb like "a sponge".

Tom is right, of course. If the cardboard insulates enough, then no condensation occurs and nothing gets wet. If not, or the moisture has a source other than condensation, then all bets are off.

I'll unashamedly take credit for coming up with the "cardboard fix". No "if" ... one of our prior boats had mildew under the mattress due to all the condensation. I cut and laid cardboard, specifically the corrugated type, under the mattress and the condensation disappeared.

Subsequently, Chris has re-covered numerous mattresses on boats she's remodeled in her biz over the years; I've been amazed at how many of these mattresses had mildew underneath. I passed along the "cardboard fix" to all the owners who readily implemented it. No more condensation under their mattresses.

I still think Reflectix (or similar) would be superior. It's impervious to high humidity and glue eating insects, for example. Cardboard is usually free, though, and that has a merit all of its own!  ;)

Tom said:
I'll unashamedly take credit for coming up with the "cardboard fix". No "if" ... one of our prior boats had mildew under the mattress due to all the condensation. I cut and laid cardboard, specifically the corrugated type, under the mattress and the condensation disappeared.

Subsequently, Chris has re-covered numerous mattresses on boats she's remodeled in her biz over the years; I've been amazed at how many of these mattresses had mildew underneath. I passed along the "cardboard fix" to all the owners who readily implemented it. No more condensation under their mattresses.

Corrugated has channels that allow air flow. Flat, solid cardboard will not have this. With corrugated cardboard you are basically ventilating the underside of the mattress as well as insulating.

I'm not sure that corrugated cardboard stays that way for long after we've slept on the bed. I seem to recall using non-corrugated on one or more boats.

For clarification, I haven't/wouldn't use cardboard for other "insulating" needs in an RV (or boat).

Back
Top Bottom