Planning a spring trip from Louisiana to Yellowstone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi everyone!  We are planning on going to Yellowstone mid April until mid May and would appreciate any suggested routes, destinations and campgrounds accessible for 40-footers with full hookups, although sewerage sites are not mandatory but preferred.  I was told a while back that reservations are best at some campgrounds in yellowstone because of our size, but don't remember where.  Can anyone recommend where to go and what to see, please?  My husband is not able to hike, so sightseeing by car is it.  TIA for any guidance you can give! 

Lynne

We're going to Yellowstone in early July. Based on recommendations and reviews we're staying at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone just outside the park. I've found the people very nice to deal with so far.

Keep in mind April May is going to be cold in Yellowstone, which if you do not mind the cold is a good thing because there will be less crowds.  We were there in June and stayed in Fishing Bridge which was a good spot, pleasant, had full hook-ups and more centrally located, so getting to many of the sites required less driving.  We looked at Grizzley RV Park, and while it gets good reviews it requires a lot of driving to get to many of the sites, particularly any on the east side of Yellowstone.  Yellowstone is a huge park so keep that in mind.  I forget what the size limit is at Fishing Bridge but i seem to recall seeing rigs close to 40' in the campground.  If you do run into a size issue, then Grizzley RV Park would be your best choice.

I suggest spending a few nights at Grand Tetons National Park located right next door to Yellowstone. It is close but a totally different park. I actually prefer the Tetons to Yellowstone due to lack of crowds and more wildlife. And in my humble it is more beautiful. There is the Jackson Lake Village RV park but you better get your reservations in soon. Both the Tetons and Yellowstone fill up quickly and as someone mentioned it is cold there at that time of year.

Seiler, it looks like Grand Tetons National Park has several campgrounds.  It sounds like you  are recommending Jackson Lake Village RV park?  Tentatively we plan to stay somewhere near the Grand Tetons National Park on May 22 and May 23.  (Right  after the May 15-May 22 RV rally at Yellowstone.)

SeilerBird said:
I suggest spending a few nights at Grand Tetons National Park located right next door to Yellowstone. It is close but a totally different park. I actually prefer the Tetons to Yellowstone due to lack of crowds and more wildlife. And in my humble it is more beautiful. There is the Jackson Lake Village RV park but you better get your reservations in soon. Both the Tetons and Yellowstone fill up quickly and as someone mentioned it is cold there at that time of year.

I agree.  We were there in June along with our visit to Yellowstone and both of us like it better as well.  We stayed at two campgrounds in GTNP, Gros Ventre for a more rugged camping experience and at Colter Bay.  Both were wonderful in their own right and both will definitely accommodate a 40' rig as the OP has.

MN Blue Skies said:
Seiler, it looks like Grand Tetons National Park has several campgrounds.  It sounds like you  are recommending Jackson Lake Village RV park?  Tentatively we plan to stay somewhere near the Grand Tetons National Park on May 22 and May 23.  (Right  after the May 15-May 22 RV rally at Yellowstone.)
Actually it is called Colter Bay RV Park, my mistake. They specifically stated "accessible for 40-footers with full hookups" and that leaves them only one choice in the Tetons. Personally I prefer Colter Bay Campground since it is only $12.50 per night with Golden Access pass. The RV park is $57 per night with the Access Pass but it has hookups and the campground doesn't have hook ups. But it has a dump station.

I have reservations for a motel near Yellowstone from May 23 through the 27th and then at the Tetons I have a cabin reserved from May 27th to the 31st.

When you go to the Tetons at sunset plan on being at the Oxbow Bend turnout. It is the best spot in the country to view wildlife. Turns into a zoo without bars every night.

MN Blue Skies said:
Seiler, so why don't you make reservations for YPN earlier and attend the rally at YPN May 15 -22?
The way my vacation works out I have to be in the Grand Canyon from the 8th to the 13th and then I going to visit my family after that. The earliest I can get to Yellowstone is the 23rd. And I can't go to Grand Teton until the 27th because the cabins aren't open until then. It was a tough vacation to schedule because I had a lot to get in and a lot of places to go with time restrictions on most of them.

In mid-May there isn't a lot open in Grand Teton or Yellowstone. We always stay at Gros Ventre park outside Jackson, but it is no-hookups. Lots of big sites though. In Yellowstone your choices are limited. Fishing Bridge may be open then, and it is the only spot you'll fit in the park. I would recommend Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone. Be prepared for cold weather and possibly snow. The advantage of that time of year is fewer people and lots of baby animals, but your Louisiana bones may get chilly unless prepared for it. The worst thing is that the big passes won't be open yet - the Beartooth Highway is one of the top scenic areas in the US.

Have you thought about delaying your trip a bit? Arriving in Yellowstone just before or just after Memorial Day gives you more options and warmer weather.

Thanks, everyone!  After reading your suggestions, we decided to postpone the yellowstone trip until early summer, 2017. I have to be home for the two granddaughters dancing review on May 21st and then leaving for the family cabin vacation in the Smokies on June 8th. With these date constraints and reading about the crowds in July, we probably couldn't get reservations this late anyway, so we'll just wait.  I just retired the end of March and did 3-1/2 weeks in the Smokies (my happy place) this October and am anxious for another extended camping trip!  I may have to look into maybe the Natchez Trace for the spring now - it should be pretty with blooming azaleas and wisteria then.  I'll make reservations in April for Yellowstone, May/June, 2017.  I appreciate all the advice! 

Lynne

Countrygal2203 said:
Thanks, everyone!  After reading your suggestions, we decided to postpone the yellowstone trip until early summer, 2017. I have to be home for the two granddaughters dancing review on May 21st and then leaving for the family cabin vacation in the Smokies on June 8th. With these date constraints and reading about the crowds in July, we probably couldn't get reservations this late anyway, so we'll just wait.  I just retired the end of March and did 3-1/2 weeks in the Smokies (my happy place) this October and am anxious for another extended camping trip!  I may have to look into maybe the Natchez Trace for the spring now - it should be pretty with blooming azaleas and wisteria then.  I'll make reservations in April for Yellowstone, May/June, 2017.  I appreciate all the advice! 

Lynne
Why not go to the Grand Canyon instead? It is closer and you will have no problem getting a site at Camper Village in Tusayan which is right next to a shuttle stop that will take you into the park. Very little chance of snow or cold weather at the end of May. The Grand Canyon is one of the seven wonders of the world. :D

SeilerBird, that's a GREAT idea!!!  It didn't even cross my mind that it would be further south, therefore warmer for April/May!!!  Thank you soooo much for suggesting that, especially since my husband has never been there!  We really would like to take advantage of the low fuel prices, too - just hope they stay low for another four months.  LOL!  So Camper Village is a good campground with full hookups and can accommodate our length?  I'm going to start mapping out the trip out west right now!!!  YEA!!!

Thanks again,
Lynne

Countrygal2203 said:
So Camper Village is a good campground with full hookups and can accommodate our length?  I'm going to start mapping out the trip out west right now!!!  YEA!!!
Yes, yes and yes. That is why I suggested it. I have stayed there many times and I used to work at the Grand Canyon photographing the California Condors. You actually don't even need a toad since the shuttle at the south rim will take you every where you want to go at the south rim. The shuttle stops right in front of the RV park.

To see some of my Condor shots look here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/108464110929132780547/Condors?authuser=0&feat=directlink

The vast majority of these shots were taken in May since that is the best month of the year to see Condors.

Countrygal2203 said:
Ewwww, condors look like buzzards!  Not very pretty, are they?
Well they are buzzards but I think they are beautiful. There are very few birds that look as beautiful when flying. But that's ok, they probably think we are ugly 8)

I was in YNP and GTNP in May a few years back.  Due to snow there were several roads closed including the South Entrance to YNP.  It would probably be a good precaution to check on road closures early in the season.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom