HELP ROOF DAMAGED, San Diego

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

05winnie

We had the roof on our 05 Sightseer blown off by strong winds a out 60 miles east of San Diego. Any recommend places in the San Diego are to get the roof replaced? Will be calling Winnebago on Monday to see if they have a recommended facility. Currently sitting in our daughters driveway covered in block plastic and duct tape.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 113
That must have been a little scary!!

I think that was the storm that blew 20 tractor trailers over too. They closed 58, 395 and 14 to high profile vehicles.

Let us know how you make out with the insurance company.

Here are three. Suggest you check with San Diego Trailer first as they may be able to help you most quickly.

Sonrise is in Escondido, north of San Diego by half your or so.

http://www.sandiegorvcenter.com/ (JEO El Cajon)

http://www.sandiegotrailer.com/

http://www.sonriserv.com/ (in Escondido)

Good luck.  Dan

About a year ago, another Forum member had his motorhome's roof damaged by strong winds as he drove east on I-8 from the Alpine area. He ended up getting his roof repaired at Discount RV in Lakeside. The guy that runs Discount is Randy and he's got a reputation for doing good RV repairs, and the Forum member who used him had nothing but good things to say about the work he had done. Sorry, but I don't remember the Forum member's name. Hopefully, he'll see your post and respond.

The reason I remember this is because Discount RV is right down the hill from us, and my wife and I know an insurance agent who has done a lot of work with Randy. The agent said Randy's got a good reputation with them too. I thought if I ever needed any work done, I'd take ours there. FWIW

Kev

05winnie said:
We had the rotor on our 05 Sightseer blown off by strong winds a out 60 miles east of San Diego. ...
What is a roof rotor?  I see where you had a roof leak around the fridge vent.

I realize it's a little late, but have you been routinely been inspecting/re-sealing your roof to sidewall joint?

TV OTA antenna, or maybe satelite dish/dome?  In any case, I doubt if the whole roof needs replacing.  Should not be difficult to repair any tears and re-seat the "rotor" or install a new one.

I'm not familiar with RV shops in the area, but most any should be able to handle it. Get firm prices estimates in advance, though, and shop around a bit. Also get a commitment on WHEN the job will be completed. Some shops really dawdle.

Ah, that makes more sense.  What about your roof-sidewall preventive maintenance?  I'm very interested if you have kept up with that and the Filon skin blew off anyway or you haven't routinely inspected/resealed that joint.  If the latter situation, that explains the skin peeling back.

FWIW, I don't think much of the roof-sidewall design of that era - it's not very robust or tolerant of a lack of maintenance.

We've had three members in our WIT Club have their roofs blown off. One actually had it happen twice. In all cases a new roof was ordered and installed.

Per Winnebago's recommendation I took the coach to La Mesa RV for an estimate. They are telling me that I need a whole new roof. 6 to 8 weeks to get one from the factory. Waiting to hear what insurance says. Don't see why cannot simply replace the filon skin.

05winnie said:
Per Winnebago's recommendation I took the coach to La Mesa RV for an estimate. They are telling me that I need a whole new roof. 6 to 8 weeks to get one from the factory. Waiting to hear what insurance says. Don't see why cannot simply replace the filon skin.

'A whole new roof' sounds like new filon skin  to me--that's the roof.  One piece that joins with the front and rear caps at each end.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom