EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Microsoft Edge  (Read 4031 times)

AlGreg

• ---
  • Great Sacandaga Lake, NY....San Benito, TX
Microsoft Edge
« on: December 25, 2015, 09:55:27 PM »
The new Edge browser does not seem to be user friendly.  I have watched a few YouTube tutorials and have found out about some new features that I will probably never use, but I can't find much about the basics.  I stuck with Internet Explorer for far too long and switched to Firefox about a year ago because IE would lock up a lot.  Now I am trying Edge and finding that I can't find out how to do simple tasks.  I can only import bookmarks from Chrome or IE.  Since I gave up on IE a year ago and never used Chrome, I imported my favorites from IE.  That leaves me about a year of favorites that I need to recreate manually.  I haven't figured out how to make a web page a favorite yet.  I guess I could use IE to go to that page and save it as a favorite, then import it to Edge.  I haven't figured out how to make a home page yet.  I would like to organize my favorites but if you search on "organize Microsoft edge favorites", you will find that there is no way to do it easily.  I am sure that Microsoft will address some of these issues in an update someday in the distant future.  I will have lost interest by then and will continue to use Firefox and miss out on the new features of Edge.  Other than Edge, I think Windows 10 is a winner!

Tom Hoffman

• ---
Re: Microsoft Edge
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 10:38:39 PM »
Sorry, I can't help you with the bookmarks issue, but if you would like to try a simple clean browser, try Opera.   I have been using it since I first heard about it from Kim Komando on her show a lot of years ago.

http://www.opera.com/computer

I have little use for MS Products other than W-7.
Wife said to me. "What cha doin' today?"  "Nothin'" says I.  "Ya did that yestiday!" Says she.  "I didn't get done!" says I

2003 F-350 Super Duty Lariat Dually 7.3 Diesel
2008 34' Sunny Brook, Brookside

Hammster

• ---
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 05:54:32 AM »
I didn't care for Edge either so I've been using Chrome. Seems easy enough to use and is faster than IE ever was. I was able to import all of my IE favorites into Chrome no problem.
I also like that AdBlock is available for Chrome. There isn't one for Edge yet.

2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali. 6.6L Diesel. 4x4
Arctic Fox 22G.

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 06:23:47 AM »
I have been using Chrome for a long time and I love it. Your bookmarks are saved online so you never loose them. Occasionally there is a page that doesn't work in Chrome and I am forced to open Edge. Is Edge a torture chamber or a browser?
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
Grand Canyon photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 07:06:19 AM »
I use four browsers. Chrome, Firefox (main browser) MSIE and Edge

Firefox is my favorite, the others are web page specific..   Alas, I did not import favorites from Firefox because I use the browsers for specific web pages that do not play well with the Fox.  Major pain in the operating system
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 08:43:14 AM »
I stick with Firefox on our PCs. Edge is still a work in progress, with quite a ways to go yet.  It's actually somewhat like Chrome in its concept, but since you don't use that either, it probably seems strange.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Gord Nelson

• ---
  • Hey! This was easier when I was just 50!
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 01:21:44 PM »
Algreg:

See if this will help you manage those Bookmarks.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/xmarks-sync/?src=cb-dl-mostpopular

I don't use it in my Firefox but when reading about it, it looked like it might provide a way for you to use your existing bookmarks everywhere. 
Good Luck
Gord

oldme

• ---
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 02:44:15 PM »
Edge is a work in progress.
You can import all your favorites from either IE or Chrome.
It will not accept favorites from Firefox (I imported to Chrome from Firefox then to Edge).

Either click on the STAR or the 3 DOTS on the upper right and look at setting.
You can import them. Also if they are missing look for a down facing arrow that will be them.

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 08:16:48 PM »
I do not like Edge at all.  I'm not sure what MS was thinking with it.  But Internet Explorer is still available.  Just type it in the search area then pin it to your task bar and remove Edge.  That being said, I mainly use FireFox, but as noted, there are some things that only work or work better with IE, so I keep it around.
Ed.....KF5INW
2011 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2015, 08:58:39 PM »
Don't waste your time on Edge, it has a long way to go to become anywhere near as powerful as Firefox or Chrome.  Don't fight it, drop it.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

herekittykitty

• ---
  • Birch Bay, WA
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 04:24:02 AM »
Exactly what Ned said.
Cannot fathom why you dumped IE but never tried Chrome?

"Edge" is just MS's way of re-imagining IE, in my opinion. Replacing junk with more junk is just... making more junk.

Also IMO, a browser should be intuitive. If you have to watch tutorials in order to figure out how to use yours, time to move on. Short of occasionally Googling how to do something you don't do very often, or something new you want to try, you shouldn't have to be struggling with your browser-of-choice.
Karen and Teddy-the-Kitty
Mostly stationary for now in a 32' Class C (2013 Winnebago Access Premier)

PopPop51

• ---
    • Uptown Tech
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 07:44:44 AM »
Same opinion here as Ned and herekittykitty.
I'm the type that's always interested in trying a new approach with an open mind, and some of Edge's features look promising, but the actual experience just left me wondering "Why did they bother to release this?".
IE11 is still available on Windows 10, and it's not a bad browser for basic use.
Professionally I need to test web apps on different platforms, so I keep all four of the above installed. I've switched my default browser and forth between Firefox and Chrome over the years as one or other become tops in performance and stability. Currently, Chrome is my top pick.
Paul--
2004 Ford Excursion V-10 ("Moose")
2010 Keystone Outback 270BH ("Squirrel")
2016 Mazda MX5 Miata ("Roadster")
##37 States So Far...##

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 08:58:14 AM »
a browser should be intuitive.

But do we all share the same "intuition"? I don't think so...
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2015, 09:39:33 AM »
Over the years, the browser was pushed to do more and more.  IE began to push the limits, often stepping outside the HTML and Java boundaries.  Being so widespread (and free), IE dragged the industry along kicking and screaming.  With the increase in MS released DLLs and the increase in 3rd party DLLs, IE became more and more complex, bloated, unstable and, worst of all, less and less secure.

I'm no longer in the industry, so I don't know for sure, but I suspect Edge is an effort by MS to back out of this labyrinth.  By basically starting from scratch and building with proven techniques and algorithms, I believe MS is designing a browser intended to be more secure and allow them to eventually close a lot of "back doors".  Those back doors must, however, remain open until Edge reaches the point where it can fully replace IE.  Currently, most commercial and industrial applications (read "expensive applications") which utilize a browser, are built around IE.  So, the general public can now be the test guinea pigs for Edge without jerking around the big money business world.  I predict, however, Edge will come and go as IE is in the process of doing and over time, we'll go through this process again and again.  I perceive this as a good thing, however, because this kind of change it necessary to keep up with and hopefully ahead of the hacker world.

But, that's just my opinion.  MS might have released Edge just to hear us gripe. :)

Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

Irover

• ---
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 09:56:27 AM »
Sorry, I can't help you with the bookmarks issue, but if you would like to try a simple clean browser, try Opera.   I have been using it since I first heard about it from Kim Komando on her show a lot of years ago.

http://www.opera.com/computer

I have little use for MS Products other than W-7.

I like Opera also, it is fast easy and I also put Opera Mini on my Android Smart phone.
Don't ever give up!! keep pushing toward the goal!!!
USAEUR; 1st Armored Div., E Co.123rd Maintenance Btln. 71-74

rebelsun

• ---
  • Don't confuse kindness for weakness
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2015, 06:55:54 PM »
I keep IE on my machine to view my security cameras online when I'm traveling. 
My home security cameras will not play on Firefox, which is my primary computer and phone browser, or Google Chrome, which is soon going to be history on Android devices (I've yet to figure out why Google is eliminating Chrome from their Android phones).   Edge, which I've found to be completely useless, also doesn't play nice with my security cameras, so it's never used by me. 
On my phone, I use a security camera app to view my cameras.
Riding the Highway through Hell in our 2000 Chevy 3500 Gulfstream Class C, with a
Honda Shadow AERO motorcycle and trailer in tow.
Retired and living in Palm Bay, Fl.

rockman

• ---
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2015, 07:05:52 PM »
How do you get Edge unchecked to view PDF files?  I liked the Adobe PDF viewer, Edge has taken that over and  can't uncheck it, or make the Adobe viewer the default for PDF
Nick, Marian & our 3 fur babies
(make that 5, now have 2 kitties that go with us)
1995 Thor Residency 36M
460 Ford w/Banks Exhaust System
Hydraulic Jacks

Hammster

• ---
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 07:53:13 AM »
How do you get Edge unchecked to view PDF files?  I liked the Adobe PDF viewer, Edge has taken that over and  can't uncheck it, or make the Adobe viewer the default for PDF

Find any pdf file on your computer. Right click on it and select "open with". When that window opens, select Adobe and then click the check box that says always use this app (or words to that effect). That should make it so all pdf files are opened by Adobe from now on.
Arctic Fox 22G.

eliallen

• ---
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2015, 12:39:08 PM »
Google Chrome, which is soon going to be history on Android devices (I've yet to figure out why Google is eliminating Chrome from their Android phones).   .

Any link to this?

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2015, 01:21:36 PM »

Any link to this?
Of course he doesn't. It is a silly rumor.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
Grand Canyon photos:
My portfolio:

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2015, 01:27:24 PM »
Of course he doesn't. It is a silly rumor.

He may have misunderstood rumors that Chrome OS (not Chrome browser or Chromebook) is going away, or is merging with Android, or...
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2015, 02:05:38 PM »
He may have misunderstood rumors that Chrome OS (not Chrome browser or Chromebook) is going away, or is merging with Android, or...
It was just a silly rumor that Google squashed the next day. Chrome is here to stay for a while. Chromebooks are selling like hotcakes.
Life list of birds:
Grand Canyon photos:
My portfolio:

AlGreg

• ---
  • Great Sacandaga Lake, NY....San Benito, TX
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2015, 10:18:49 PM »
Thanks for the great replies.  It looks like nobody has anything positive to say about Edge.  Since upgrading to Windows 10 I have had a couple sites that previously worked with Firefox, now fail.  I am using Edge, only for those sites.  I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

Tom Hoffman

• ---
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2015, 12:57:16 PM »
Thanks for the great replies.  It looks like nobody has anything positive to say about Edge.  Since upgrading to Windows 10 I have had a couple sites that previously worked with Firefox, now fail.  I am using Edge, only for those sites.  I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

Yes you are.   ;D ;D   Download Opera and have it too, then try all the sites on both.  My one primary issue I like on Opera is the ability to hit the (ctrl) key and the + or - keys to increase or decrease the page size easily for ease of reading and viewing.  I love how the "favorites" system works as well very easy.
Wife said to me. "What cha doin' today?"  "Nothin'" says I.  "Ya did that yestiday!" Says she.  "I didn't get done!" says I

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2015, 01:48:41 PM »
Yes you are.   ;D ;D   Download Opera and have it too, then try all the sites on both.  My one primary issue I like on Opera is the ability to hit the (ctrl) key and the + or - keys to increase or decrease the page size easily for ease of reading and viewing.  I love how the "favorites" system works as well very easy.
That's exactly how it works in Chrome too. And with Chrome your favorites are stored on the web so when you log into another browser your favorites are there.
Life list of birds:
Grand Canyon photos:
My portfolio:

Tom Hoffman

• ---
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2015, 02:16:31 PM »
That's exactly how it works in Chrome too. And with Chrome your favorites are stored on the web so when you log into another browser your favorites are there.

That's cool,   I have just always found that Chrome wanted to take over everything you were wanting to do.  I got tired of all of the  Nanny stuff.  Of course, I have never taken a lot of time to get use to it.   As I have always been an Opera user since '96 or so,  pretty close to when they became available, it was still being done in Norway then.

Of course, you had to be able to read "Norwegian"  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 02:18:09 PM by Tom Hoffman »

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2015, 02:57:24 PM »
Nothing unique there. Firefox can sync bookmarks, tabs, settings and more across devices. Xmarks syncs bookmarks across browsers and devices.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

rebelsun

• ---
  • Don't confuse kindness for weakness
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2015, 08:37:38 PM »

Any link to this?
It was actually a recent app notification I received, that Chrome to Phone is no longer supported, and will not work after March 31, 2016.
Riding the Highway through Hell in our 2000 Chevy 3500 Gulfstream Class C, with a
Honda Shadow AERO motorcycle and trailer in tow.
Retired and living in Palm Bay, Fl.

Hammster

• ---
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2015, 09:23:19 PM »
Arctic Fox 22G.

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2015, 07:24:48 AM »
Ahhh, that's an extension to Chrome. It is "to help bridge your desktop and phone experience by making it easy to send Web links to your phone" but this is not referring to the Chrome browser itself.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

Hosted by Over The Network