Torque issue in my 2015 TREND

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TREND owner

I noticed when I was going down the freeway at 65mph with the cruise control on and wanted to pass a big truck ahead of me that the RV drastically pulled to the left before I turned the steering wheel to change lanes.  It changed lanes for me!  I have had the alignment checked and adjusted since the ProMaster division of Chrysler sent it to Winnebago out of alignment without checking it.  It was also supposed to be checked at the Chrysler Dealer of Forrest City and wasn't nor was it checked at Winnebago.  It was driven from Indiana to Southern California where I bought the RV.  I have had FOUR different customer service care people from ProMaster not be able to get the problem fixed.  The chassis is a Sprinter built by Mercedes but when I went to Mercedes, they didn't have my vin number on file!  The conclusion is that Chrysler made it (but I find that difficult to believe). 

This issue may affect all of us who own a Winnebago TREND with a Sprinter chassis and may cause us to have a head-on collision with oncoming traffic.  I narrowly avoided a head-on collision with a red duly - it was heart stopping to say the least.

My question is am I the only one having the torque to the left with my TREND?

I would appreciate anyone to help me get the torque problem solved (it is NOT an alignment issue!)

Thanks

Rich

Does it pull to the left if you change lanes while NOT behind a large truck?

That large box creates a partial vacuum behind the truck, when you pull out to pass (or to "look" around the truck) the first thing that happens is the left side of the RV moves into the faster moving air along the side of the truck while the right side of the RV is still in the truck's suction wake.  This will make the RV pull to the left.

This also happens to cars, but it's more noticeable in RVs because an RV is taller and presents more frontal and side area for wind buffeting to act on.

@ Lou: I tried it out in the open on a highway where no traffic was there and YES it pulls hard to the left when you hit the gas pedal to accelerate hard as if you were passing a big truck.  This situation presents a danger to me and my wife where the RV changes lanes.  Think about oncoming traffic or the cement center divider of a road.  I need help in finding a fix for the problem!

@ DeartMissMermaid:  You can't believe the power of this engine - NO hill so far has been a challenge in over 18,000 miles we have spent on the road in the TREND.

Maybe your rear axle is shifting under heavy acceleration. Try letting off the gas while in a lower gear at high RPM and see if it tries to go right. If it does it is most likely something in the rear suspension. Suggest the rear suspension be checked either way. It could also maybe that you are climbing out of truck ruts and darting left because of over compensation due to the ruts trying to hold you. Overinflated tires will make this condition worse. Tires should be inflated for the weight they are carrying, not inflated to the max pressure on the sidewall, I don't care what anybody tells you, never inflate to the max PSI on the sidewall unless you are carrying the max weight of the tire also on the sidewall. Over inflation is the main cause of a squirrely ride.

Bill

Thanks Bill, on Monday I'll get the rear suspension checked and get back to you. 

I noticed that when I just try to pass, even at a "regular" passing speed a car that is going, let's say 50 mph in a 55 mph zone, the RV goes left.  If I simply follow the car at the car's speed, the RV tracks straight and true 100% of the time with no drifting to the left or right.

Rich

Ok this needs to be narrowed down. Does it go left whenever you give it hard throttle, whether changing lanes or not? Or does it only go left when you change lanes? Could be two entirely different things.

Whether you see it or not the right lane of most roads is pounded out by heavy truck tires. the center of each lane and the edges of the lane are high with two parallel ruts running down the lane. You have to give a significant amount of steering input to climb out of them, once out of them your rig will dart to the left. Overinflated tires make it worse.
If your rig skews left whenever you give it hard throttle your rear axle may be shifting.
Overinflation can be corrected by you, a shifty rear end should be looked at by a quality mechanic.

Bill

Hmmm, I have put a few miles on a 2008 Navion with the 3.0 Litre MB diesel and 3500 sprinter chassis and have never felt any "pull" from the throttle that I didn't feel was normal. What length rig do you have and what size engine?
Nothing should cause the rig to move over a lane just from stepping on the throttle. In this case, I would bring it back to the dealer in southern CA where you purchased it (if that is possible) and since it is new I would insist on a mech or dealer rep take it for a test drive with me to show them the problem, then discuss this problem with the service rep. If it needs to go to Sprinter or a chassis shop then the dealer will send it there, you do not need to be in the middle of that decision. It is there problem until they convince you it is repaired. Your only job is to make them understand the problem and make sure the warranty is in force. Good luck.

You shouldn't have torque steer,  that's not right.  Maverick has the right idea - get a service writer (or whoever ) to drive it while you ride.  So I assume you are the original owner and this is a brand new rig?

With weird Jeep suspension or vibration issues,  some of the guys will mount a GoPro underneath and shoot video of various suspected areas of the chassis.  You could do something similar if you can't get the dealer to diagnose the problem.

@ driftless - here in California, most all roads make the vehicle go to the right because they are built that way for any water to get out of the traffic lanes so as to not have puddles for the vehicles to drive through.  Just for kicks, I tried my "problem" out on a newly paved lane on the 215 near Sun City just to see what would happen and sure enough, it pilled to the left!  The dealer tells me that they "don't do stuff like that."  I tried 9, yes, that is right, NINE different Chrysler dealers in my area and they ALL told me that they didn't have bays big enough to put the RV in.  I finally took it to an independent alignment place to get it looked at.  Pruett's Alignment worked on the alignment that ProMaster didn't fix and got it perfectly aligned.  To test it, I drove it down a highway that was 8 miles long and straight.  I took my hands off the steering wheel and it never left the lane I was in.  I know, I know, that was silly, but I did it anyway..lol  On Monday, I'll get the tier inflation and rear end checked.

@ Mavarick - I sure wish mine didn't change lanes to the left like it does.  For 13 months I have attempted to get ProMaster to either solve the problem OR tell me where to take the RV so it can be fixed but up to date, they ave failed in either case.  As a mater of fact, I am on my 4th case service person who said she would "keep me in the loop" but has not contacted me in SIX weeks!  She ignores all my voice messages even though she gave me her "personal" phone number.
I can't seem to find a phone number for Chrysler not even on their web site!  I sent an email to Chrysler and I got this response:

Your inquiry has been received by the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center. We appreciate your contact with us and look forward to getting back with you as soon as possible.

*****AUTOMATED RESPONSE - PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS ADDRESS *****

I am at wits end on what to do so I joined this group to see if someone might help me get the problem fixed.

@ John - In have had Giant RV, where I bough it, drive it and they saw the pull hard to the left issue.  I had Moss Bro Chrysler dealership drive it too and they noticed the same thing.  I have had the alignment place drive it twice and both times it went left. My problem is no Chrysler dealership will take it in and write out a work order to get it fixed.  When I ask for paperwork stating that the Chrysler dealership won't take it into their service, they tell me that Chrysler has to approve such a statement before they can give it to me!  What am I to do?

The engine is a six cylinder hemi, regular gas powered type.  I usually get 19.5mpg - at least on my last trip (6,600 miles).  I am no genius when it comes to mechanical stuff but this is what I was told.  I can do the mpg math though.

I invite anyone to come drive it and see exactly what I am talking about.

Rich

Rich, as I said, you bought it a Giant Rv so take it back and make it their problem (camping in the sales lot is very effective). I would start with the service manger and make it clear to him I was not leaving until it was repaired. You could start by taking another 2015 Trend out for a quick test drive to see if the problem is with the model or just your unit simply to eliminate opinions.
Then if the service manager decides it needs to go to Chrysler or Sprinter it will be their follow up, not yours. With the problem this noticeable (you said everyone has seen it happen) it has to be something obvious that a frame shop would pick up on after a test drive and inspection. We could all have lots of guesses but without a real visual inspection they are all pretty much just guesses. Once you start doing things and repairs yourself you have pretty much given them a free pass. I still say concentrate your efforts at the purchasing dealership visiting with the owner if needed. This is a very expensive purchase and you expect to be treated accordingly.

Hey Mavarick - that is a GREAT idea!  Look out Giant RV, here I come on Monday!

I really do LOVE this RV and it fits our needs perfectly.  18,600 miles of travel in 13 months since we bought it kinda proves that.

Rich

I think your only choice is to camp in the dealer lot as long as it takes to get it fixed.

If you have to borrow noisy children, barking dogs plus set up lawn chairs, BBQ and jam box to get their attention... so be it.

In the interim, I would stop trying to pass everything on the highway. It's OK to let them pass you for a change especially since it's really clear you have a serious problem that could end in disaster if not carefully monitored.

California has some tough lemon laws, might be time to research these and make sure you are keeping the correct records to enforce your possible protection under these laws.

Also there are attorneys specializing in the lemon laws of California.

Just briefly reading an article here, sounds like you just might qualify.
http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/automotive-law/lemon-law.php

Keep us posted!  8)

Many unique posts ultimately leave us with cliff hangers like a cancelled soap opera.  :eek:

I believe that the Trend is built on the Ram Promaster chassis, which is a front wheel drive chassis.
Some of the FWD chassis have what is commonly referred to as torque-steer. When you accelerate hard, the vehicle will pull to one side or the other.
Maybe this is what your Trend is doing.
I'm not sure what the solution is. You might check with a good mechanic that is familiar with FWD vehicles.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey

Never occurred to me it may be front wheel drive (FWD). If it is, FWD will do that. I just did a quick search on "promaster torque steer". This seems to be a rather normal complaint in forums relating to work trucks using this FWD chassis. One post I read mentioned road crowns, where the road is crowned for drainage, The poster stated that it is more noticeable when cresting over a crown under acceleration. This might explain why Chrysler is ignoring your complaints as they feel it is normal for FWD. My advice is to learn to anticipate it and search on line in truck forums for possible solutions, I don't think you will get any satisfaction from the stealerships, errr dealerships.

Bill

Several years ago I had a FWD Mazda Prot?g? that had torque steer if I really got on the throttle but it was very manageable.  So it sounds like that the Promaster does have a propensity for TS - I think the question now is does the Trend owner have the usual and customary TS or is his unusual.

@ DearMiss Mermaid - thank you for the web link, I sent the them a letter.  I only pass the slow trucks that are doing 15 to 20 mph below the posted speed limit.

@ John - yes, been there done that without any success.  They tell me it is ProMasters problem, not there concern in a very kind way (passed the buck!)  I think when I go to the dealer and test drive another TREND, I'll have an idea if it is just me or do all TRENDS act this way.

@ Indiana - I was told by the alignment guy, it was a Mercedes chassis but what do I know.  You probably are right because Mercedes couldn't find my vin number.

@ driftless - I have to agree

You don't know how much I appreciate your input everyone - this is the FIRST time I have had anyone care or make positive suggestions about this issue and not just turn me away!!!

I have found through experience that flooring the vehicle for a downshift just as you turn the wheel to change lanes makes the sudden "jump" of torque steer  much worse both in a front wheel drive Dodge van, and to a lesser extent in my Honda Odyssey.

I believe it is related to the turning motion and weight transfer being accentuated by the sudden power increase, and my solution has been to get on the gas a fraction before turning the wheel.

May be the reason there are very very few FWD race cars.

Thanks OLDRACER. 

I don't push the gas pedal to the floor but press on it enough for the engine to go up one stage higher (I don't know what that is called) in order to pass.

I come up to a line of vehicles struggling with the % grade on a hill, for example, and look to my left for oncoming cars then press on the gas pedal.  I don't have to turn the steering wheel, the RV goes to the left by itself to change lanes for me. 

Even in freeway traffic on a flat road, the same thing happens - off to the left we go.

Rich

Back
Top Bottom