Torque issue in my 2015 TREND

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update... got a call from the So Cal Chrysler rep in charge of difficult mechanical things that he wants to have a joint mechanical meeting with the Winnebago people so they can BOTH check out my RV.

Yeah, like that will help!  These guys ad my RV for 2 weeks and each day on the phone with the r/d and engineers and they couldn't find a solution.  What makes them think another few days with the RV will magically find a solution...lol

So, May 23rd I take it to a Chrysler dealership and let them do their thing for a few days.

Rich

So, May 23rd I took the TREND to a Chrysler dealership for both Chrysler AND Winnebago to look at it, take measurements and to see if they can fix it.  I have to wait until Thursday for a special scale to arrive to weigh all 4 corners.  Will this ever end?????[size=8pt][/size]

Rich

It is amazing to me that Winnebago and Chrysler  are dinking around with this problem so long.  You have so much documentation now that if anything happened that caused an injury they would be in a hurtbag for damages, injuries and lawsuits in general.

I agree Bill - my attorney is licking her lips waiting to see what the results are from this meeting of minds.

Rich

For what it's worth, I drove my 2015 Trend (likewise Ram ProMaster) all over Kentucky from northwest Indiana.  Interstates, main highways, and curvy secondary roads with no issues in steering or abruptly changing lanes when I accelerated.  I had read your posts so was watching to see what happened with acceleration and trucks, etc.  No problems.

Good luck.  Sounds like no one wants to take the blame.

Thanks winone and from what I've heard, I seem to be the only one having this particular problem.  That is a good thing and a bad thing at the same time.  I see these big companies trying to prove they are not at fault and still, my RV torque steers to the left upon high acceleration.  Maybe the judge will make the decision if I have to take both parties to court.

Rich

Here the email I got from the Chrysler rep:

"Per FCA (Chrysler), and Winnebago, all checks out just fine on your motor home.  Weights were taken, test drives were taken, and no alignment or drive issues were noted by reps from either company.  The alignment/camber adjustment performed earlier was done properly.  This was tested in a couple different ways and at different speeds on different roads and different accelerations.  The also checked tires for any abnormal wear from being out of alignment and tires are evenly worn across all treads of both tires.

Both companies agree that the motor home is driving/working as designed.

My recommendation would be to pick the motor home up and enjoy it.

Please let me know if you have any questions."

I know they did not fill the black, gray and drinking water tanks and test the RV, they only tested/measured it empty (curb weight).  Even though i offered several times, they wouldn't allow me to drive the RV while they sat in the passenger seat.

I filled all three tanks with hose water and took it for a drive.  Here is what happened:  NOTHING!!!!!  It didn't torque steer to the left!!!  I Took it on straight roads and hilly roads and accelerated it with high speeds (safely of course) ON BOTH and it went straight as an arrow.  These guys did something - I just know it.  They won't tell me exactly what they did, but they did something.  I texted the Chrysler rep and asked him (once again) for a copy of the report he sent to Chrysler.  Let's see what his reply will be.

ON MONDAY I AM GOING TO TAKE THE RV TO THE ORIGINAL ALIGNMENT PERSON WHO DROVE IT AND CONFIRMED IT DID ACTUALLY TORQUE STEER TO THE LEFT AND HAVE HIM LOOK AT IT CLOSELY TO SEE IF HE CAN DETERMINE WHAT THEY DID BESIDES TAKING MEASUREMENTS.  Oops, sorry for the caps..lol

Rich

ps.  I have to admit that I an "over the top" whit joy that now I won't be hit in oncoming traffic like I could have been before.  Thank you for your support and suggestions during my 18 month journey of trying to get the torque steer issue resolved.

Rich

Congrats.  The squeaky wheel finally got some grease.  Glad to hear the coach is performing as designed and it is fishy that this all happened after it was in their hands.  In any case, enjoy.

Bill

Interesting very much to say the least and you know they did something, soft wear update or change? Yeah take it to the first alignment tech. and maybe he can see what they did?

I am SO happy no matter what they did that I don't torque steer to the left anymore.  With an 8 week vacation, planned for about 11,000 miles, let's see how the TREND does.

Rich

When you get back, let us know if you still consider eight consecutive weeks of 200 miles per day a vacation, or just a long drive.

My wife and I have done 10,000 and 12,000 mile trips from Southern California to Maine and back with two different routes.  We try to avoid highways and get out on the back roads.  The first trip, I took over 35,000 pictures and the second was 40,000.  About 100 of them are on National Geographic.  What we do is drive as fast as we can to get to an area of pictorial interest and stay there to shoot pictures for a few days and move on.  A lot of pre-planning goes into our simmer vacations so we can try to get the best possible shots in the locations we choose to visit.

Let me assure you it is not just a long drive.  Staying at a location a few a few days and getting the pictures we like also gives us an opportunity to meet several interesting people.  We keep in touch with these travel friends we have met along the way. 

We have already contacted these friends in the states where we plan on going back and can't wait to see them for more good times.

For us, staying in one place for, let's say two weeks, gets boring.  It may seem to others that our style of travel is a long drive, but to us the number of short stays (2 or 3 days) gives an opportunity to meet others several times during the vacation..  It is an adventure!

Rich

Here is a coopy of most of the email I got from the Chrysler representative:

6 Jun 16

Part Part Number
LF Spring 68214924AA
RF Spring 68214924AA
LR Spring 68188872AB
RR Spring 68188872AB
LF Strut 68185556AC
RF Strut 68185556AC
LR Shock 68157782AD
RR Shock 68157782AD
Front Swaybar 26mm
Rear Swaybar 20mm
Front Tire Pressure 65
Rear Tire Pressure 72
Inspect chassis for loose, bent or broken fasteners and or components.  None identified.  Tire wear described as even from side to side and across tread.
Performed extensive test drive with Steve Mary with Winnebago and jointly concluded vehicle exhibits no behavior that is uncharacteristic for vehicle of its type.  Winnebago willing to provide similar vehicle to test drive with customer in order to demonstrate similar performance when put through similar driving conditions.
Kind regards,

I took the RV to the original alignment person who saw the problem first hand and asked him to look at the underside of the RV.  He said there was no evidence that any wrenches were used and no fingerprints nor handprints to be observed where anyone had touched the RV.  He said that the people must have gone into the on-board computer and made adjustments there. 

Chrysler will not send me a copy of the report they were sent by the Chrysler rep.  As you can see in his email, he is only provided the very basic information and didn?t mention anything about the on-board computer.

The investigators did something and they are not telling me what they did exactly.  Before I took the RV to my designated Chrysler dealership, it torque steered to the left and now it doesn?t.  I tested the RV both empty and full of liquid.  It torque steered to the left.  When I picked the RV up after they did the tests, no torque steer problems whatsoever. 

I called the Chrysler rep and he said maybe inadvertently when they were doing their tests, they might have changed something without knowing it and that might be the reason it doesn?t torque steer now.  (Yeah right)

They did something to my RV and they won't tell me. 

On the other hand, it is fixed so I should be happy about that. 

BUT, after 18 months of fighting with these people, I am very disappointed with their lack of communications.  All they did was to fix it because (even though it may have been a fluke) they didn't want to accept the fault.

Rich

Understand your feelings Rich but, as you will admit, it's starting to sound like complaining about being hung with a new rope.  Safe traveling with your torque free RV.

Bill

none whatsoever as 2 of the alignment people went over the chassis when it was on the hoist

Rcih

And if you find they waved a magic wand, fixed it, and now will not tell you how, then what?

I plan on moving on and continuing to enjoy the RV. 

I will, of course, watch that it doesn't torque steer to the left while on vacation but it won't be a major concern each and every moment behind the wheel. 

I have to admit, not being prepared to head into oncoming traffic is a BIG relief.  It allows me to see more when I drive rather being on edge. 

Sometimes I still see that red dual wheeled truck flashing his brights and the sound of his horn blasting all at me as the TREND headed straight for him as I was passing the big truck when the RV torque steered into oncoming traffic.  Maybe some people think I am focusing on this topic too much but they were not sitting in the driver's seat while this was happening.

That said, I do hope it was only my TREND and no one ever has to experience what I experienced.  Now it is "fixed" relief pours over me!!!

Rich

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom