Torque issue in my 2015 TREND

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You could try a installing a steering stabilizer which might help.  Also call Henderson's Lineup (Google them) and 3Ts and run your handling issue by them.

Hi John - you are WAY over my head with the technical stuff BUT I'll tell me mechanic about it.

Thanks

Rich

Took a few posts, but got around to it being a front wheel drive Ram/Dodge chassis. It's not a Sprinter. It's a rebadged Fiat Ducato. Remember Fiat owns Chrysler now, not Mercedes.

Fiat Ducato

Thanks ennored - I have just repeated here what the dealers have told me.  I am not whatsoever mechanically inclined.

It is a front wheel drive RV.  It says RAM on the front grill.  I did know that Fiat bought out Dodge.  This is the first time I have heard of a Ducato.

Thanks for the info.

Rich

Hi everyone - plans have changed.  I have contacted a Lemon Law attorney.  Also my wife wants to go to the beach for a bit.  So, let's see what happens.

I am going to still call the mechanic with your suggestions in the meantime.  You guys certainly know your stuff!

Thanks

Rich

I'm having difficulty accepting that "torque steer" has anything to do with this. We are talking a 280 hp gas V6 in an 11,000 lb coach - not tons of torque suddenly applied. If this rig is changing lanes on its own, there has to be something seriously wrong with the front end. If a Chrysler dealer can't find & fix it (this sort of thing is may be over their head technically), you need a real chassis pro like Henderson's Line Up in Oregon or Josam's in Florida.

I think, though, there is a possibility that the coach is simply getting pushed around by the air movement around those big trucks. The slab sides of an RV act as a large sail and big trucks have a huge "wake" of air flowing out and around them. This air wake quickly pushes other vehicles away, then sucks them back as it moves on. Cars don't notice it much, but the tall & broad sides of an RV get shoved hard and fast.

TREND owner said:
Hi everyone - plans have changed.  I have contacted a Lemon Law attorney.  Also my wife wants to go to the beach for a bit.  So, let's see what happens.  I am going to still call the mechanic with your suggestions in the meantime.  You guys certainly know your stuff!
Good luck with getting this resolved to your satisfaction.  Keep us updated.

@ Gary - I live in Southern California - have anyplace a lot closer I can take it to?  This issue occurs whether I am passing a big semi or a little Smart Car - doesn't matter what I pass, it still pulls to the left.  I am not talking a little pull, I am talking about a lane changing pull!  When traveling straight, nothing happens - no pull in either direction.  Maybe I need a ROAD TRIP to Oregon!

@ John - thanks I will let everyone know what is going on.

Thanks again everyone for your positive support!

Rich

Does it do the same with a lane change without another vehicle ahead of you? Henderson's likely doesn't have experience with this chassis yet.

We rented a Dethleffs motor home in Europe with the Fiat Ducato chassis, about the same size as yours, it handled perfectly.

Your mentioning trying another similar RV from the dealer seems like the best way to see if it is only your RV or you.

Hi John -

Yes the RV changes either with or without someone/anyone being in front of me.  The test drive of another TREND will tell me a lot!  I'll let you know what happened after I get home from the test drive.

Going to do a test ride Tuesday.  Have a family visit on Wednesday then off to the beach we go.  My wife had back surgery last Tuesday and wants to go to the beach and sit there and recover.  So the TREND issue will have to take a back seat for about a week.  My wife comes first!

Gary RV Roamer said:
I'm having difficulty accepting that "torque steer" has anything to do with this. We are talking a 280 hp gas V6 in an 11,000 lb coach - not tons of torque suddenly applied. If this rig is changing lanes on its own, there has to be something seriously wrong with the front end. If a Chrysler dealer can't find & fix it (this sort of thing is may be over their head technically), you need a real chassis pro like Henderson's Line Up in Oregon or Josam's in Florida.

I think, though, there is a possibility that the coach is simply getting pushed around by the air movement around those big trucks. The slab sides of an RV act as a large sail and big trucks have a huge "wake" of air flowing out and around them. This air wake quickly pushes other vehicles away, then sucks them back as it moves on. Cars don't notice it much, but the tall & broad sides of an RV get shoved hard and fast.
    Torque steer is a common problem with FWD cars/ect. not many trucks are FWD. On a FWD car we would adjust the cradle and reset alignment. Hope this helps. Also if its loose? will cause some crazy steering issues. Ram ProMaster chassis is FWD I checked to be sure. Is your truck ONLY doing this under acceleration? Steady cruise no pull, no problem? coast? Traction control? talk abt. left field.

Completely out of left field. Do you have traction control? If yes and it's on, try turning it off, if it's off try turning it on.

Bill

I think a more likely scenario is something loose in front or rear. Beginning a shift in lane at highway speeds lets either front or back shift sideways rapidly enough to feel scary. Broken or bent trailing arms in the rear (if it has that suspension), broken anti-sway bar, Loose steering gear box, even drastically over-inflated tires can give this sort of symptom.

Sorry, I don't know a reliable chassis/suspension shop in CA, but maybe one of our CA members can help. This sort of problem is usually beyond the local Firestone store or car dealer shop.

I am reading your posts but have no clue what you are talking about.  I'll print the posts and show my alignment person, he'll know what it is all about and direct me to where I can get it looked at.

I love it when the "experts" join in and show their "stuff."  Maybe I should have gone against the counselors in high school WAY back when and not taken the college prep track and taken auto shop so things here would make sense to me.  Don't laugh, I just figured out what FWD means.

You guys are the best!

Thanks

Rich

TREND owner said:
I am reading your posts but have no clue what you are talking about.  I'll print the posts and show my alignment person, he'll know what it is all about and direct me to where I can get it looked at.

I love it when the "experts" join in and show their "stuff."  Maybe I should have gone against the counselors in high school WAY back when and not taken the college prep track and taken auto shop so things here would make sense to me.  Don't laugh, I just figured out what FWD means.

You guys are the best!

Thanks

Rich  Torque steer is a common problem with FWD cars/ect. not many trucks are FWD. On a FWD car we would adjust the cradle and reset alignment. Hope this helps. Also if its loose? will cause some crazy steering issues. Ram ProMaster chassis is FWD I checked to be sure. Is your truck ONLY doing this under acceleration? Steady cruise no pull, no problem? coast?

Moderator Edit: Fixed bad close quote tag - LS

When I looked at the Trend, I was told it was FWD and if the load in the unit was not distributed evenly, steering would be affected. Just another thing to consider.

@ William52 - This pesky problem only happens when I attempt a pass.  On a mountain, flat road, in sunny weather or rain - it still pulls to the left when I accelerate.

@ bailer6334 - Good point!

I have started a WORD file with all your suggestions/helpful comments and I'll print it and take it to my mechanic - thanks everyone.

Rich

TREND owner said:
@ William52 - This pesky problem only happens when I attempt a pass.  On a mountain, flat road, in sunny weather or rain - it still pulls to the left when I accelerate.

@ bailer6334 - Good point!

I have started a WORD file with all your suggestions/helpful comments and I'll print it and take it to my mechanic - thanks everyone.

Rich      Its a FWD truck and if this event only happens on Acceleration (Torque steer)When you are passing the road crown is to the left thus its worse. You may need to get Chrysler involved be  vigilante/lemon law ect. Hopefully a tech. that is familiar with that truck knows what to do. Ask him to shift the cradle if possible and reset alignment. Of course check the front end,maybe something was missed? Good luck. Will

You know Will, my brain already hurts!

I have talked to TWO lemon law lawyers and they BOTH will not take my case because I don't have a paper trail of vehicle shops that tried to fix the problem.  My problem is NOT A ONE SHOP will even write up a shop paper saying they can't fix it or don't know how to fix it. 

You can't believe how frustrating this is.  I have no where to turn and as I have said before I totally appreciate all of the help and suggestions I have been given.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the RV in all other things.  It is the perfect length, great motor, dependable tires, easy to dump, easy to fill fresh water, nice to drive, nice kitchen, plenty of storage space, on and on.  I just don't like to left turn when i don't want it to left turn.

Rich

Call some truck shops some fleet company's use them I know you will need to tell them the story and I'm sure you will resolve the issue. Freightliner, first. Let your fingers do the walking. I googled your problem and found your truck is not the only one. Good luck. Will

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom