Torque issue in my 2015 TREND

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just wondering, , , have you thought of informing the NTSB as a hazard of design ? we do this in aviation, when we find a design problem. This would place uncle sugar on manufacturer's back.

Never considered it - thanks.  I called them and they sent me to DOT (Department Of Transportation).  I called DOT and they didn't answer (figures with my luck) and left a detailed voice mail.  Now let's see what happens.

Thanks

Rich

TREND owner said:
Never considered it - thanks.  I called them and they sent me to DOT (Department Of Transportation).  I called DOT and they didn't answer (figures with my luck) and left a detailed voice mail.  Now let's see what happens.

Thanks

Rich

All Fed offices in Washington shut down at noon today for the snow storm.  They should be used to that with all the snow jobs they put out daily.  Anyway, try back Monday.

Being in Southern California, I never considered a snow storm.  Thanks Bill N for the heads-up!  I am wondering why, when the were at work, didn't return my voice mail call before they left for home?

Ok, just got off the phone with the service advisor where my RV is at - He said the back end had stoppers that are low on the RV with no load whatsoever and they act like they are overloaded.  But, they don?t have a fix yet.  He said that the Chrysler person at research and development/engineering is still working on it.  He said he?d call me Monday and give another update from the Chrysler guy.

Maybe someone can explain what this means please about what it is that is low?

Thanks

Rich

Not sure, but maybe the rear end rides low, for no apparent reason, which would throw front end geometry off.

Bill

TREND owner said:
Ok, just got off the phone with the service advisor where my RV is at - He said the back end had stoppers that are low on the RV with no load whatsoever and they act like they are overloaded.  But, they don?t have a fix yet.  He said that the Chrysler person at research and development/engineering is still working on it.  He said he?d call me Monday and give another update from the Chrysler guy.

Maybe someone can explain what this means please about what it is that is low?
Thanks
Rich
Assuming the service advisor is talking about the bump stops ...
"A bump stop is a compressible suspension component designed to prevent metal on metal contact (and subsequent damage or unsafe driving characteristics) as the suspension undergoes extreme compression, such as after hitting a bump or going into a dip / pothole."

If the rear is compressed enough that it is riding on the bumpstop, that is strange to me. It would possibly indicate that the frame is overloaded or the springs are undersized.
If the rear is compressed or riding low, this would change the front castor angle and could cause the steering to be squirrely. I would expect the steering to be loose in both directions rather than consistantly one direction or the other, but there are other factors at work with your torque steer issue. Length of the axle shafts for example.
Glad you are finally getting on the road to a resolution.

Thanks Bill and Neal - especially for the instructions on how the "bump stop" works. 

I hope this will fix the problem!

Rich

V2Neal said:
Assuming the service advisor is talking about the bump stops ...
"A bump stop is a compressible suspension component designed to prevent metal on metal contact (and subsequent damage or unsafe driving characteristics) as the suspension undergoes extreme compression, such as after hitting a bump or going into a dip / pothole."

If the rear is compressed enough that it is riding on the bumpstop, that is strange to me. It would possibly indicate that the frame is overloaded or the springs are undersized.
If the rear is compressed or riding low, this would change the front castor angle and could cause the steering to be squirrely. I would expect the steering to be loose in both directions rather than consistantly one direction or the other, but there are other factors at work with your torque steer issue. Length of the axle shafts for example.
Glad you are finally getting on the road to a resolution.
      Exactly, bumps stop can also be on the top of the shocks in case they bottom out and  on front and rear. I doubt you would never make contact with the frame mounted bump stops. This guy has not driven it? And looking at the wrong end of the coach. Geez.

The service advisor AND the service manager - neither one has a clue in spite of their "vast experience" they say they have.  I am told they have turned the problem over to the r/d and engineering at the Chrysler level (I assume it is ProMaster) and it has been about two weeks now and THEY don't have a clue either!!!

If;

A) I am the only one having this problem, it may come to having me get a new RV

or

B) there might have to be a major recall and think of the problem that will cause!

I hope a ProMaster person has the balls enough to read all my posts and respond as the customer service liars suck!

Just off the phone...

I was told a Chrysler rep came today and if he can't find a fix, the RV can't be fixed. 

Not sure how to take this news... does this mean I get a new RV if no fix can be found by the Chrysler rep?

Be'd cool if that were actually true.

Rich

I think you may have already done this but, if not, acqaint yourself with the lemon laws in your state.  Also how to make a report to the NHTSA if necessary.  Sounds to me like you blazing a new path in dealing with RV chassis problems.

TREND owner said:
Just off the phone...

I was told a Chrysler rep came today and if he can't find a fix, the RV can't be fixed. 

Not sure how to take this news... does this mean I get a new RV if no fix can be found by the Chrysler rep?

Be'd cool if that were actually true.

Rich
I hope you had them test drive the unit.

@ Bill N - I emailed NHTSA this email:

For 15 months I had attempted to get a Chrysler dealership to look at my problem of the Winnebago TREND RV pulling to the left when under high acceleration, like passing a slower vehicle the TREND pulls into oncoming traffic.  I finally have a dealership 77 miles from my home looking at the problem.  As of today, the research and development and engineering departments of Chrysler have not arrived at a fix for this problem.  This vehicle is unsafe and may cause a major head0on accident.  It may also be unsafe for ALL TRENDS on the road.  Let's see what happens.  By the way, DOT has not returned my phone call yet!

@ Tom/Barb - yes, they have test driven the RV several times when the Chrysler r/d and engineering suggested a fix

@ Bill - I called the lawyer and updated them on what has occurred

I called DOT because I received an eMail from them.  Talked to a NHTSA customer service person and filed a formal complaint against Chrysler.  Now let's see what happens.  FYI tomorrow is my total knee replacement so I'll be out of action for a bit.

Rich

I really couldn't believe it either!  Instead of a phone call, they sent me an email.  I am awaiting a hard copy of the conversation to get to the mail box, then I have 72 hours to respond.  If I do, they will dd my complaint to their web site for other s to read.  Now I have to contact the FTC and I have their phone number to do that.  But, I have to get past the knee replacement first - tomorrow at 10am, I have to be at the hospital.

Rich

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom