Furniture replacement for large families on a small budget?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crunchcrunch

We need to replace the couch and re-work the furniture setup in our 1992 Prowler 29' travel trailer. It is the rear bunk model that has the bedroom in the front (with door), full sleeper sofa, dining booth, and two rear bunks. We have 4 kids, so we need sleeping room as well as functional sitting and eating space.

The tiny little chair that is just inside the door seems like wasted space, and it sits against the back of one side of the booth. My first thought was to take out the chair and  one side of the booth, extend seating all along the side wall, and put in a larger table. I can't seem to find anyone who has done this, though, as most people seem to go with regular dining chairs. Has anyone done an extended table and extended seating booth?

Another issue, and probably more pressing as far as sleeping arrangements go, is the sleeper sofa needs to be replaced. Even when my kids sit on it, it sinks right down to the wood frame. The water tank is underneath it though, so I don't know how feasible it would be to replace unless we did a DIY build of some sort. I also can't find anything but high-end reclining deals for sofa replacement ideas. I am pretty handy, k just need some ideas!

Both sound like a straight-forward DIY project. Nothing fancy required for furniture, and an upholstery shop can make cushions if you can't do that part yourself.

Because I am living in an old refurbished rig, I am often invited to see other older refurbished rigs.

Much to my surprise, many folks have tossed out the RV furniture and bought furniture from regular stores, then bolted it in place. Some didn't even bother to bolt it down, just set it in place.

They also make chairs to pop out into a single bed, something to consider since you mention sleeping room.

Here is a simple futon with removable legs, this might fit your sofa area if you need to remove the legs to accommodate the installed water tank area. Sofa by day, double futon by night. Under $200, not bad.
http://amzn.to/1NRqf1U

There are also so good looking chair sleepers, if you are looking to replace the chair, there is even a bench type ottoman that makes into a bed at night, might do dual purpose for your booth and rig.
http://amzn.to/1NRqIBf

Attachments

• split back futon_Picture.jpg
    split back futon_Picture.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back