Sharing Win 7 Pro w/Win 10 Home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry N.

My main (desktop) machine is running Win 7 Pro, and I have a single folder shared called Share, on a workgroup. I recently acquired a Lenovo Win 10 Home laptop, and was able to see and access the Share folder successfully on the laptop, so I thought I understood that. But now I want to temporarily share another folder, tmp from the Win 7 to the Win 10. The laptop sees the tmp folder (lists it in Network), but when I try to access it I get permission denied, even though it has the same sharing permissions as the Share folder, in fact all the same attributes that I can find.

Any thoughts on what else I can try? On what I've done wrong?

A couple of suggestions...

Is your laptop in the same workgroup (not the same thing as Home Group)?  If not, add the laptop to the Win 7 workgroup - might work.

Are you given the opportunity to log in when trying to access the new folder?  If so, try using the same log-in you used when starting the Win 7 computer.

Molaker said:

Is your laptop in the same workgroup (not the same thing as Home Group)?  If not, add the laptop to the Win 7 workgroup - might work.
Unfortunately I don't find a way to even acknowledge (on the laptop) that there is such a thing as a workgroup, only a homegroup.

Molaker said:
Are you given the opportunity to log in when trying to access the new folder?  If so, try using the same log-in you used when starting the Win 7 computer.

No, although I can try (on another window) to "Join" a homegroup, but that doesn't work, of course.

I don't know if it matters, but this is all on a LAN via a D_Link DIR-655 router via wired connection. Also, I've rebooted both computers, "just in case."

Open Explorer and right click on "This PC".  Click "Properties".  Then under "Computer name, domain and workgroup settings", click the "Change settings" link.  Under the "Computer name" tab, click the "change" button to change the computer name.  At the bottom is the workgroup.

Molaker said:
Open Explorer and right click on "This PC".  Click "Properties".  Then under "Computer name, domain and workgroup settings", click the "Change settings" link.  Under the "Computer name" tab, click the "change" button to change the computer name.  At the bottom is the workgroup.

Which explorer, Internet or Windows? I don't have a "This PC" under either of those programs. In Windows Explorer I can right click and get properties on "Computer" but it doesn't give me the choices you mention, but does take me to where I can see Device Manager, Remote Settings, and a couple of others. Remote Manager lets me get to a screen that has the Change button, and it'll let me change the Workgroup name, but why would I want to? And to what would I change it? And note that it's the same for both the Win 7 Pro and the Win 10 Home machine, with the same workgroup name.

Sorry Tom, but you lost me.

Larry N. said:
Which explorer, Internet or Windows? I don't have a "This PC" under either of those programs. In Windows Explorer I can right click and get properties on "Computer" but it doesn't give me the choices you mention, but does take me to where I can see Device Manager, Remote Settings, and a couple of others. Remote Manager lets me get to a screen that has the Change button, and it'll let me change the Workgroup name, but why would I want to? And to what would I change it? And note that it's the same for both the Win 7 Pro and the Win 10 Home machine, with the same workgroup name.

Sorry Tom, but you lost me.

Molaker said:

I was referring to Windows Explorer.  I don't know what you are looking at since you say you don't see This PC.  But, as both computers are in the same workgroup, it's a moot point.  Sorry, but I'm out of guesses.

Another wild guess Larry.    Both "temp" and "tmp" are system folders (reserved names) and I don't believe you can share either of those folders.  Perhaps you could take the contents of tmp and try to copy them to another named folder, then share that folder. 

Nice thought, Gord, but that's not the actual folder name -- I actually have several folders I'd like to share (pix, etc.) so I was using that as an example. In any case, the tmp, temp etc. are only a problem if you try to make one where there already is one by that name (and I'm not trying to share system stuff). Most any name can be used in different folders simultaneously, so long as it's only once in a folder.

But, as both computers are in the same workgroup, it's a moot point.  Sorry, but I'm out of guesses.

Thanks for trying, Tom.

Larry

Update with solution:

I'd forgotten all about a little-used laptop I have running Win XP, so thought I'd check what it did -- same problem that I saw on the Win 10 laptop. Hmmm... must be something on the Win 7 desktop. It was. So I'd been looking at the wrong culprit.

After hunting through all kinds of stuff, I finally realized that I'd not added Everyone to the share list. Did that and it all works now. Cockpit trouble, aided by the weird complexity of the Windows permissions and sharing schemes.

So now both the Win 10 and Win XP laptops see the Win 7 just fine, and vice versa. All I need to do now is to refine permissions.

Thanks for the thoughts Tom & Gord -- much appreciated, and it kept me hunting 'til I found it. Finally!

Could be worse.. On black Friday I bought a nice new HP 15" for my Friend Sherry.. Who as it turns out SERIOUSLY needs a new computer.. You can't believe how seriously.  (He decade old Dell died today).

Well.. The HP forgot the password it seems. and won't accept a remote reset from Windows.. So we need to do a rocovery.. That can't happen till Friday or Sat... (THey are sending hardware needed).. Meanwhile there is work that MUST be done NOW.. Some of it was forwarded to me.. Some of it I'll handle tomorrow using an alternate computer. but it's been a fun afternoon (Doctor was this AM) between working with HP non-support and installing Ceiling fan/light kit #2 for Miss Sherry.

(She says I'm being too good to her, Since she is never actually going to be my Girlfriend.. But then.. Well. It's nice to be good to someone sometimes and the Fan Installs only cost me time.. and I enjoy the time with her, so that's a negative cost.)

Back
Top Bottom