EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Towing a 5th wheel for the first time  (Read 5852 times)

rockman

• ---
Re: Towing a 5th wheel for the first time
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2016, 09:56:54 AM »
Excellent advice, especially GOAL, 4 of our Western Star trucks at work have a transparent decal on both mirrors that says that.  The only thing I would add is space management.  Always be aware of how much you weigh, and how long you are (plus high as Wfwilson said) and adjust and maintain the space around you to reflect the additional stopping distance and turning radius you need.  I someone cuts in front of you, immediately adjust your bubble needed to stop.  You my be angry at them, but do it anyway.  As Wfwilson knows, after you pull it around for a while, it will become second nature . . .   
Nick, Marian & our 3 fur babies
(make that 5, now have 2 kitties that go with us)
1995 Thor Residency 36M
460 Ford w/Banks Exhaust System
Hydraulic Jacks

TruckeeGirl

• ---
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2016, 08:31:48 PM »
I'm a bit late to the party but wanted to add that RV'ers are the nicest and most helpful people on the planet.  I am woman traveling alone.  My truck and trailer exceed 52 feet when hitched.  I have no spotter to hitch up or back up.  I use my back up camera on the truck to back the receiver under the hitch and I get out a lot! to check my four corners when backing the trailer into any spot but 9 times out of ten some nice RV'er moseys over and say "hey, let me help you back in"   Mainly I try not to fret about any of it, I go slow and double check where I am at constantly :-)

How did it all work out for you?

Kim
Kim
2015 30 ft Dutchman Kodiak TT
2013 GMC Sierra CC Denali 6.6 Turbo Diesel 4x4
2 fur children: Wiley Coyote and Jasmine

RVRAC

• ---
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2016, 09:48:44 PM »
Take plenty time to get to the place where you are going.  Take time to stop, change lanes, backing up, etc. With time and practice you will do fine.
2017 Leprechaun 311 FS
Toad: 2016 Jeep Patriot
American Dolly
Home: WI
Snowbird 6 months/yr.

Hosted by Over The Network