Towing a 5th wheel for the first time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rockman said:
If you can't see your spotter, STOP! Hand signals that you both understand for left, right, backup and stop are required.  If you want, I can tell you what I use.

A spotter is a must (and a good way for the wife to be involved), although I've found a cheap set of 2-way walkie talkies are the best way to communicate.  They are a nice item to have around campgrounds too, for those rural spots when cell phone receptions is iffy.

For directional instructions over a radio, use the terms "driver's side" and "passenger side" instead of "right" and "left" since it's easy for the driver to get confused when backing, using mirrors, and turning the steering wheel opposite.

rockman said:
When backing, until you get used to it, put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, not the top and move it in the direction you want the trailer to go.  When it starts to turn the correct direction, be ready to stop turning the steering wheel, and follow the trailer with your truck thru the turn or you will turn it too tight.

Before I started towing, this was the craziest advice I ever heard... except that I found it WORKS PERFECTLY.  At the end of last season (my first year towing a large-to-me 32' trailer) I was just starting to get decent at it, getting into campsites and then backing into our extra driveway when arriving back home.  When we start up again this season, it'll probably be like starting over again but I should pick it up again pretty quickly.  ;)

Do you have slides on the service post side?  Step off the distance each slide stands out from the trailer wall and when placing your spotter be sure to put a marker down more than that distance away from where you think you want the trailer to wind up.  Not doing so might end up with pushing a slide into the service post.

Also, check where the trailer's electric and sewer connections are and learn how far your sewer hoses and electric service lines will reach before you get that trailer so nicely placed, leveled, and unhitched but toooo far away.

Don't forget to check if the grounds crew left your site's picnic table right in the middle of your turning radius.

Don't forget to have fun ;D

One more thing: Don't forget to look up! I've seen people come within inches of roof overhangs. Watch for trees on side roads that lean in over road that have bark pealed off 12 feet off the ground.

You'll be nervous the first few times. Everybody is. And you'll find it hard to believe that you'll fit in the lane. But if you have a good truck trailer combo - and it sounds like you do - it'll track nicely. Enjoy.

Well, since I travel alone I don't have a spotter and I'm  thinking my little terrier Wiley Coyote would be no help lol.  I am not the best at backing in but I am persistent.  I take my time, get out frequently to see where I am and invariably some friendly RV'er will wonder over to assist.  If not, I just take deep breathes and try to center myself and my mind and keep at it until I am finally parked.  It's taken 45 min to an hour unassisted at times!

Good luck!  don't be nervous, be zen!

All good advice.  Going from never towing ANYTHING straight into a rig that big will be a challenge.  At least you don't have any bad habits to break...lol

TravlinOn said:
Do you have slides on the service post side?  Step off the distance each slide stands out from the trailer wall and when placing your spotter be sure to put a marker down more than that distance away from where you think you want the trailer to wind up.  Not doing so might end up with pushing a slide into the service post.

I have a short piece of rope cut to length for this purpose. Just stretch out the rope, no guessing involved.

Get yourself about a 6 foot length of bright orange or green pool noodle and lay it down on the drivers side about where you want the wheels near the utilities...then back in right beside it....that's what I do and it works great, easy to see and even if you run it over no damage...just a bright backing guide...

Good Luck,

Jim

Wigpro said:
Get yourself about a 6 foot length of bright orange or green pool noodle and lay it down on the drivers side about where you want the wheels near the utilities...then back in right beside it....that's what I do and it works great, easy to see and even if you run it over no damage...just a bright backing guide...

Good Luck,

Jim

Excellent idea!! If the wind is blowing, take a coat hanger, cut it in half to kind of make 2 staples & staple the bugger to the ground so it can't move.

When in doubt GOAL

Get
Out
And
Look

I drive a F350 Dually  crew cab long bed as my daily driver as well as to pull the 5ver

My camper is just shy of 40 feet long put on the truck its huge and my weight can be right at 26k but I try to keep it closer to the 20K mark.

Learn to use your trailer brakes, make sure you understand how to adjust them and what the buttons and knobs do

learn to shift, just putting it in drive is ok most of the time but on steep grades you will need to shift to a lower gear. that being said the down grade can be a challenge learn how you feather your braking and down shift as well.

Backing is what scares most people the most, practice.  Remember the pivot point on the camper is the wheel not where the back of the camper is, you are in a 5th wheel learn how to cut the truck so its 90 defress to the camper and recover with slow easy motions, this will help you gain confidence as well as show you what the rig can do. 

Know you rig height and plan your route.

When fueling if the truck stop has an RV island use it but dont hesitate to use the bug truck islands also. I do it all the time, most gas stations are not set up to get in and out of in a fiver

never be afraid to ask for help. I travel alone most of the time and I have asked a fellow camoer or truck driver to spot for me, I have never been turned down.

Good luck and above all be safe

Excellent advice, especially GOAL, 4 of our Western Star trucks at work have a transparent decal on both mirrors that says that.  The only thing I would add is space management.  Always be aware of how much you weigh, and how long you are (plus high as Wfwilson said) and adjust and maintain the space around you to reflect the additional stopping distance and turning radius you need.  I someone cuts in front of you, immediately adjust your bubble needed to stop.  You my be angry at them, but do it anyway.  As Wfwilson knows, after you pull it around for a while, it will become second nature . . . 

I'm a bit late to the party but wanted to add that RV'ers are the nicest and most helpful people on the planet.  I am woman traveling alone.  My truck and trailer exceed 52 feet when hitched.  I have no spotter to hitch up or back up.  I use my back up camera on the truck to back the receiver under the hitch and I get out a lot! to check my four corners when backing the trailer into any spot but 9 times out of ten some nice RV'er moseys over and say "hey, let me help you back in"  Mainly I try not to fret about any of it, I go slow and double check where I am at constantly :)

How did it all work out for you?

Kim

Take plenty time to get to the place where you are going.  Take time to stop, change lanes, backing up, etc. With time and practice you will do fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom