Applying ZEP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
I've decided to apply several coats of ZEP on my 5vr this spring when I get home from FL. I'm just wondering how people apply it. Do you use a ZEP soaked cloth and apply it by hand or something like a sponge mop dipping it in something like a paint roller tray/pan. I was then thinking about going over the coating to get rid of any runs while it was still wet. Or I was thinking maybe a thick nap paint roller. Is there a better way. My ears are open for any suggestions. Thanks.

Like this or the High Traffic ZEP:  https://www.officesupply.com/cleaning-breakroom/cleaning-janitorial-supplies/cleaners-disinfectants/floor-carpet-cleaners/look-floor-polish/p393143.html?ref=pla&cid=ad-pla-non-brand&adpos=1o2&creative=82620384393&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CMjP5r2GgMoCFdgXgQodW4MA0w

or this:  http://www.amazon.com/ZPEZUHTFF128-Commercial-Traffic-Floor-Finish/dp/B00PUYIR7O/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1451357477&sr=1-3&keywords=zep+high+traffic+floor+finish

I found this on an RV website, and used it instead of waxing and buffing my travel trailer. Once I removed the dirt and old wax, using car wah sop and Barkeeper's Friend, I applied 4 very thin coats with a micro fiber cloth squeezed out, to eliminate runs. Zep Wet Look dries quickly so it didn't take much time at all. The results were fantastic, and will last about 2 years before a touch up will be needed. My trailer looks better than new now, and the top has a good UV protective finish that dirt and droppings will wash off easily. This product will save me time and money. And a lot of labor. Go ZEP!

SeilerBird said:
I found this on an RV website, and used it instead of waxing and buffing my travel trailer. Once I removed the dirt and old wax, using car wah sop and Barkeeper's Friend, I applied 4 very thin coats with a micro fiber cloth squeezed out, to eliminate runs. Zep Wet Look dries quickly so it didn't take much time at all. The results were fantastic, and will last about 2 years before a touch up will be needed. My trailer looks better than new now, and the top has a good UV protective finish that dirt and droppings will wash off easily. This product will save me time and money. And a lot of labor. Go ZEP!
                                    I was wondering about this? Thanks Bird ya saved me a post and Yes Zep makes good stuff anyways.

I also used a microfiber to apply thin coats of High Traffic formula. Am happy with results after 2+ years. Roof could use a recoat. It is my understanding that ZEP acrylics do not have UV protection.

SeilerBird said:

What do you have for a top Tom?  Is it rubber, metal or fiberglass?

Rene
I used a microfiber rag to apply the ZEP.  I put on 4 coats all the way around and put on 2 more on the front because I wash the bugs off a lot and thought it might protect it more.  It took maybe a hour to apply each time on a 35' 5er. Worked really well and got very shinny.  The prep time took as long as putting the ZEP on.  I used Bar Keepers friend and a auto buffing machine with light pressure. worked very well.

Just did a Google search to make sure you guys are talking about putting it on the Gelcoats and found a number of YouTube videos about how to apply.  Wow.  Lowes and HomeDepot both handle this product and inexpensive.  Spent days using a Gelcoat heavy cleaner, polish, and wax to get rid of oxidation this last fall and will probably only last a year.  Thanks for the tip.

I've done a little more searching and some are recommending a sealer, identified on the Zep label, prior to putting the wax on.  Some posts state that it fills the voids and adheres better than the wax alone.  Suppose it depends on how oxidized the surface is to start with.  Some of the pictures look like an impressive transformation. 

My rig was heavily oxidized so I skipped barkeepers and went directly to an abrasive green scrubby from the hardware store. I used TSP for detergent and wore those heavy blue gloves, TSP is a bit caustic. So if your rig is heavily oxidized it has to be removed or you may be disappointed by longterm results. For application I used one of those microfiber paint pads with a handle for cutting in around windows and such. I used several pads during application.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/8866530492539840/

Bill

Well, we scrubbed ours down with barkeepers friend, using a fine 3M scrub pad, and then washed everything with TSP. Lots and lots of rinsing. The finish was very clean but dull, which was what we wanted. After 5 coats of ZEP, she looks brand new. Chuck

FWIW

The colored scrub pads are colored by degree of harshness generally white is the softest, but check with your supplier.

chuckbear said:
Well, we scrubbed ours down with barkeepers friend, using a fine 3M scrub pad, and then washed everything with TSP. Lots and lots of rinsing. The finish was very clean but dull, which was what we wanted. After 5 coats of ZEP, she looks brand new. Chuck

Chuck, what color pads did you use and did it remove the oxidation?

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Brite-General-Purpose-6-Inch/dp/B000LPN3WQ  Try a small pack white? The green and maroon I use a lot great for cleaning auto parts/gaskets etc.

Rene T said:
Chuck, what color pads did you use and did it remove the oxidation?

I used the blue pads. The Zep was applied to decals and even painted surfaces on the coach with a lint free cotton cloth. I did not like the way the microfiber cloth was actually soaking up the ZEP and making it too thin in some places as I applied it. The difference in the decals and striping was amazing. I don't know if the Barkeepers Friend or the TSP removed the oxidation since the TSP was done immediately after the Barkeepers Friend. Chuck

And is this something to consider over paint and clearcoat or only fiberglass?

If yes, what happens if a paint guy had to touchup a scaped area that had been ZEP'd and repaint? How is ZEP removed?

deloni said:
Do you coat an EPDM roof and RV striping decal/labels too?

Decals, most definitely. I use Dicor Rubber Roof Sealer on our rubber roof. But many owners use a liquid floor polish like Mop and Glow on the roofs with success, so I suspect it will work. I just don't have first had information. Since ZEP is a water based product, it can't do any harm. Chuck

Back
Top Bottom